• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

DTR 550 Programming

Status
Not open for further replies.

wdatkinson

I have two DTR 550 radios that were picked up of off ebay. These are the fixed antenna version. They work great. One of them has the name "Josh" on the screen, and the other has a number displayed. Since no one using the radios is named Josh, I decided to invest in a programming cable, since the CPS for the DTR's is free.

The cable arrived today and I hooked it up, and installed the CPS. When I try and read either radio, I get an error message stating the firmware is not compatible with CPS.

Obviously these were programmed at some point. I doubt the ship with Josh on the main screen. I've STF'd here, and googled for DTR550 programming, firmware, etc., but I can't find any information beyond sites that sell DTR accessories. Do I need an earlier version of CPS? 1.0, perhaps? I have 2.0. Can I do a firmware upgrade?

wkredick

Maybe it is one of the early model before CPS came out for them. There is a little attachable keyboard they may solve your problems.
I have CPS DTRs mixed with non CPS models and they work fine together.

michaelsmale

Motorola DTR550

I have two DTR 550 radios that were picked up of off ebay. These are the fixed antenna version. They work great. One of them has the name "Josh" on the screen, and the other has a number displayed. Since no one using the radios is named Josh, I decided to invest in a programming cable, since the CPS for the DTR's is free.

The cable arrived today and I hooked it up, and installed the CPS. When I try and read either radio, I get an error message stating the firmware is not compatible with CPS.

Obviously these were programmed at some point. I doubt the ship with Josh on the main screen. I've STF'd here, and googled for DTR550 programming, firmware, etc., but I can't find any information beyond sites that sell DTR accessories. Do I need an earlier version of CPS? 1.0, perhaps? I have 2.0. Can I do a firmware upgrade?

The CPS is only free for the DTR410, not the DTR550 & DTR650. The CPS for the DTR550 & DTR650 costs alot of money. There is also another option, you can buy a mini keyboard attachment and program it that way which is what I recommend

Status
Not open for further replies.