• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

DTR650 programming help

Status
Not open for further replies.

telxonmaster

I recently bought 2 moto DTR650 radios, and have the basics figured out after reading the manual. I left them default other than adding 2 private groups. The radios work as expected (quite well) but I just had a few questions. On the groups, you have an option for "channels", being these use FHSS, does the "channel" just change the hop pattern? Any reason to change it on a private group?

In the manual, it says the CPS is for the 410 only, but mentions programming the 650 with a PC, what gives? is there no CPS for the 650? And finally, does anyone know where to get the mini keyboard? Looks like I really won't need the CPS unless I want to get really complex setups, but I would like to name my groups, and need the keyboard for that.

Fowler

Premium Subscriber
The keyboard is NLA. Everything is programmed using the free business radio CPS from Motorola. The programming cable attaches to the base of the 650. Its pretty intuitive to program the radios with the software. Good luck

telxonmaster

I've read the forums on checkcheckonetwo, good info. I was going off of the owners manual, it says the CPS is only for the 410. Does the CPS work on the 650 too? Cables aren't expensive, at least. I really only need the software to add names or text templates.

kruser

Premium Subscriber
I've read the forums on checkcheckonetwo, good info. I was going off of the owners manual, it says the CPS is only for the 410. Does the CPS work on the 650 too? Cables aren't expensive, at least. I really only need the software to add names or text templates.

One of Motorola's CPS versions does work with the 650. And this CPS is free so you have nothing to lose if you happen to get an older or wrong version.
Just get their Business Radio CPS and you should be good to go. This CPS covers several of their radios including the DTR series like the 650.

telxonmaster

Ok, noted! I did download it, so I'll likely get the cable too. I need to find someone selling the keyboard, being it's obsolete, I hope to pick one up cheap. (some nut is selling one on ebay for $70, must be nuts if they think someone will pay it)
Most of the pogramming can be done from the radio, and cloned to another one, which I really like. So far I'm impressed.

n1das

Don't bother with the keyboard accessory. It is easier to use the CPS.

Sent from my XP8800 using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.