DTRS Google Earth Placemarks

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheLizard

I use Google Earth quite a bit to find the locations of some of these happenings. I've created a Google Earth Placemark file that has the locations of many of the DTRS towers. Now, this list isn't even as complete as it could be - I've just used the towers that are located here: http://wiki.radioreference.com/index.php/BCD996T_Lat-Lon (it's missing a few of the towers and has a couple of naming discrepancies).

If anyone has an up-to-date list of the tower Lat/Longs that correspond with the towers on the DTRS page in the database, I'd like to create an up-to-date placemark set.

To use this: Just unzip the contents of this file, open up Google Earth, and point it to the DTRS_v001.kml file. The placemarks should be visible and are clickable with some site information (Primary Control Channels, site number, etc).

Attachments

• DTRS_v001.zip
    3.1 KB · Views: 87

dodger

Premium Subscriber
Google map of DTRS

Give this one a try

Attachments

• CODTRS.zip
    9.3 KB · Views: 95

skipshark773

I did a similar Google Earth project awhile back, its basically like an interactive version of the original map thats in the DB. I used the data reflected in the RRDB and FCC ULS to pin out where the towers were. I have kept the map mostly up to date, the two new zone 2 towers were just added in last night. There are 3 different .kmz files in the zip, one for each zone. They can be viewed all together or separately. There may be some inaccuracies, typos, or missing data if you spot any please let me know.

Here it is:

[edit]: the pins are clickable, they'll show the site info, like the name, licence, licencee, ect. Unfortunately, I didnt have the foresight to add the control channels to the pins like the map at the top of the thread.

Last edited:

TheLizard

Nice to see that others have made an effort to get the DTRS on Google Earth. I've noticed that some of the Lat/Long coordinates listed in the 996 Lat/Long page are quite a bit off. Check out the Greeley sites to see what I mean.

Thanks for posting your files! This is exactly what I was looking for.

Last edited:

skipshark773

No problem, alawys happy to help. I didnt know that the 996 wiki lat lon page existed untill you posted about it. I tried to play around with some of the points listed there about a half hour ago. On the whole its not terrible, but some are noticibly off. It could just be google earth making the error too.

dodger

Premium Subscriber
Microwave system

Here's a Google earth map of the state Public safety Microwave system that links most of the Trunked radio sites together.

Attachments

• COMicrowave.zip
    23.9 KB · Views: 79

rc104a

dodger said:
Here's a Google earth map of the state Public safety Microwave system that links most of the Trunked radio sites together.

Noticed one error. TV Hill site 234 3.5 N Paonia is private owned, NTCH I think. The microwave from Delta goes to Jumbo Mtn a few miles east of Paonia, it is a state owned tower with BLM, FS, DOT, DOW, CSP (VHF) and Delta County on it. TV Hill is quite a bit higher than Jumbo.

Someone has John Brown (west of Gateway) on their Google Earth about a 100 miles too far north. It is about 5 miles west of Gateway on John Brown Road. I downloaded all of the previous posted kml files and plotted the cites on Delorme Topo using coordinates give or from FCC lookup.

I can not see Mesa Point (shown on Delta/Mesa Co line) but found it is owned by Cingular, it is in Delta County on K50 Road quite a ways up the Grand Mesa.

Rick
Paonia

dodger

Premium Subscriber
Updated Google earth map

Thanks to Rick, I have updated the files.

Attachments

• CO DTRS & Microwave.zip
    33.7 KB · Views: 81

dodger

Premium Subscriber
Mesa Point

rc104a said:
I can not see Mesa Point (shown on Delta/Mesa Co line) but found it is owned by Cingular, it is in Delta County on K50 Road quite a ways up the Grand Mesa.

Rick
Paonia

It must be the 3rd one from the left in the picture.

Attachments

• Mesa Point 260.jpg
    Mesa Point 260.jpg
    178.8 KB · Views: 170
Last edited:

rc104a

Thanks for the pic Dodger, when it gets a little drier I will try to get there. Saturday afternoon I was in the area and it was pretty greasy.
Rick

Status
Not open for further replies.