DTV Signals always have most of the sound on the right channel?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RedPenguin

Alright, I have 2 WinTV HVR Cards (950 and 950Q) plus a Magnavox Converter Box all picking up the same DTV signal from a local TV station.

The station in question is WJAC which has broadcasting on station physical channel 34:

6.1 NBC-HD
6.2 RTN
6.3 NBC-SD

Now, I don't know if it's their signal or how I'm recieving it or what.

All 3 devices use indoor antennas.

Anyway, 6.2 always seems to have the audio mostly on the right and almost completely silent on the left. I even tried both PC cards on different PCs, same problem.

The Magnavox shows odd sound problems on 6.2 as well, but mainly just low audio that I have to turn the TV up for.

6.1 though on both PC cards has the same issue as 6.2, I have not tried 6.1 on the Magnavox so I am not sure how it's doing there.

What can I be doing wrong receive mainly right audio?

EDIT: The transmitter is basically 1-2 miles down the road from my house.

N

N_Jay

It has to be your setup, not the station.

Signal strength has nothing to do with it.

I would guess you have a setting off to one side.

Windows has a lot of buried audio settings, but don't ask me where they are because they seem to vary with every different audio driver program.

davidmc36

Premium Subscriber
Alright, I have 2 WinTV HVR Cards (950 and 950Q) plus a Magnavox Converter Box all picking up the same DTV signal from a local TV station.

The station in question is WJAC which has broadcasting on station physical channel 34:

6.1 NBC-HD
6.2 RTN
6.3 NBC-SD

Now, I don't know if it's their signal or how I'm recieving it or what.

All 3 devices use indoor antennas.

Anyway, 6.2 always seems to have the audio mostly on the right and almost completely silent on the left. I even tried both PC cards on different PCs, same problem.

The Magnavox shows odd sound problems on 6.2 as well, but mainly just low audio that I have to turn the TV up for.

6.1 though on both PC cards has the same issue as 6.2, I have not tried 6.1 on the Magnavox so I am not sure how it's doing there.

What can I be doing wrong receive mainly right audio?

EDIT: The transmitter is basically 1-2 miles down the road from my house.
Is your antenna directional, do you need to rotate it? Even though you are pretty close is there a big building in your way?

RedPenguin

Well....

Is your antenna directional, do you need to rotate it? Even though you are pretty close is there a big building in your way?

Well, I am around a bunch of row-apartment buildings, which as far as I can tell are the main reason, cell phones and public safety radios seem to act funky around in my area.

Plus it's also a valley with mountains but it seems definitely in the area of the row-apartment buildings, radio signals do whatever they want.

Though, I am confused as to why I would receive great picture but audio like I described. Am I just receiving the video signal better than the audio?

davidmc36

Premium Subscriber
Though, I am confused as to why I would receive great picture but audio like I described. Am I just receiving the video signal better than the audio?
That does seem odd since the DTV is all one signal, on one freq, not like the separate pic and audio freqs of analog.

Is there something in the firmware of the reciever to automatically gives priority to the picture part of the signal, is that even possible?

I notice on the Star Choice Dish that the sound will go before the picture when there is a reception problem, whether that has any relevance or not.

Sounds like you gotta get out of that RF jungle you're in. First the scanners, now the TV:lol:

RedPenguin

Yes...

Sounds like you gotta get out of that RF jungle you're in. First the scanners, now the TV:lol:

Yes, it's annoying, every time I fix one problem, another one arises. Not only for me but for others in the area.

Shortwave and anything AM sucks big time almost all filled with interference.

Last edited:
N

N_Jay

That does seem odd since the DTV is all one signal, on one freq, not like the separate pic and audio freqs of analog.

I was thinking the same thing when you suggested it might be a signal issue.:confused::confused:

Patch42

You mention 6.2. What about 6.1 and 6.3? Do you have the same audio problem with those? What about other stations?

If it's only 6.2 that has a problem, then it's clearly not your setup that's causing it.

N

N_Jay

There are set up issues with poor audio that are only noticeable (or most noticed) with high amounts of "center channel" audio, and others that are only noticeable when there is almost no "center channel" audio.

Thayne

I don't know if this has anything to do with it, but when I was at a DTV multi-channel transmitter site, I noticed DTV is fully capable of transmitting 5 audio channels (Surround Sound) but of course much of the programming is stereo or some even monaural. The problem might be that your converter-cards-receiver may not know what to do with a 5 channel surround scheme. Just my 2 cents worth--

RedPenguin

Well.....

You mention 6.2. What about 6.1 and 6.3? Do you have the same audio problem with those? What about other stations?

If it's only 6.2 that has a problem, then it's clearly not your setup that's causing it.

Well mainly 6.2 but I have noticed it on 6.1 somewhat on my TV tuner cards.

I haven't had a real chance to try 6.1 and/or 6.3 on my Magnavox Converter Box, but I will have to try that next.

Another problem I've been having with 6.2 is that it has classic TV on a lot and is an RTN feed, I noticed that the programs and national commericals all are at a fairly low volume so the TV needs turned up, yet the second a local commerical is on, FULL VOLUME, then suddenly goes back to quiet again after local commerical(s).

^^^ Anyway, to fix that problem above? Makes it kinda annoying, when having the TV loud enough to just hear the program, then some commericals almost blow your speakers out on your TV.

N

N_Jay

. . . . I noticed that the programs and national commericals all are at a fairly low volume so the TV needs turned up, yet the second a local commerical is on, FULL VOLUME, then suddenly goes back to quiet again after local commerical(s). . . .

This is a symptom of the center channel issue I had.

Was fixed with a sound card driver update.

I think it had to do with out of phase signal from left and right.

Bet the volume is consistent (but you lose stereo) if you pull the L/R slider all the way to one side or the other.

DonS

RedPenguin said:
. . . . I noticed that the programs and national commericals all are at a fairly low volume so the TV needs turned up, yet the second a local commerical is on, FULL VOLUME, then suddenly goes back to quiet again after local commerical(s). . . .
This is a symptom of the center channel issue I had.

Was fixed with a sound card driver update.

I think it had to do with out of phase signal from left and right.

Bet the volume is consistent (but you lose stereo) if you pull the L/R slider all the way to one side or the other.

I've seen similar symptoms on a local cable system's HD and (digital) standard-definition channels, using several different "cable boxes" (old DCT-62xx, current DCT-64xx, current TiVo HD XL with "MCard").

I think the problem is most likely due to the "national feed" encoding their audio to MPEG/AC-3 with certain levels, but the "local feed" encoding their commercials' audio with different levels.

k8tmk

All of the DTV stations I can receive in South Bend Indana and Chicago seem to have pretty balanced sound.

One issue I have is with WSBT DT, channel 22-1 in South Bend. Their audio level goes all over the place. It's very annoying to have to keep adjusting the volume while trying to watch a program. I even complained to their operations director and told him they WILL fix the problem. Years ago, stations were required to keep their audio levels constant between commercials and programs (so that they couldn't jack the volume up for commercials). The FCC needs to make the same requirement for DTV.

I have also noticed that many DTV stations have an annoying momentary high-pitched squeak in their audio. Perhaps they just don't have all of the bugs worked out yet.

Randy

MeddleMan

If there is only one "Magnovox Box", you and I have the same kind and so far, I do not experience these problems from the Atlanta, Ga veiwing area.

poltergeisty

Truth is a force of nature
Banned
Would this have anything to do with multipath, fading ,etc? Event though it's one damn frequency?

More than likely a equipment issue. Audio drivers, software the chipsets used, etc All play a part in the evil scheme of things. :twisted:

Status
Not open for further replies.