DTV test tonight in the bay area Monterey/Salinas areas

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know this isn't two way stuff, but just for info for those that don't use cable or satellite

23 stations in the San Francisco-Oakland-San Jose and the Salinas-Monterey markets will do a 2-minute DTV test between 7:28pm and 7:30pm on Wednesday 12/17.

This is part of a coordinated effort sponsored by the National Association of Broadcasters and the FCC. It is actually expected to occur around the same local time across all four time zones of the US resulting in thousands of stations participating.

This should be interesting given the national factor and that it is a full two minutes, plus later in the evening when the number of television sets actually in use is pretty high.

There will be another two tests for at least the San Francisco Bay Area in January and in February.

The notice also reminds everyone that they will need to rescan their receivers on February 18 for changes that will occur during the transition. Several Bay Area and Monterey-Salinas stations will be making channel changes.

THanks Larry Kenney from the AVS forums

FYI Monterey/Salinas area the test will strat at 6pm

brandon

Database Admin
The LA stations did the test too. For kicks I plugged in the analogue VHF freq in the scanner to hear the audio announcement stating "your TV is not digital ready" ... haha.

scannerboy02

Premium Subscriber
This is part of a coordinated effort sponsored by the National Association of Broadcasters and the FCC. It is actually expected to occur around the same local time across all four time zones of the US resulting in thousands of stations participating.

As stated above this was done at most TV stations across the U.S. We here at KCRA-TV in Sacramento-Stockton-Modesto have been doing this test at 6pm on the 17th of each month starting back in October.

It has been a lot of fun to see the progression of the TVs in our own newsroom go form first saying "this TV is not ready" to now saying "your TV is ready".

kd6ecz

I saw both KTTV 11 and KABC 7 in LA do their digital tests last night. I have cable so I'm at their mercy I guess. KTTV switched over the the "your TV is not digital ready" message and KABC worked just fine.

I've noticed that the stereo audio that used to come in with most of the local channels is now big fat mono which is pretty annoying when listening through my receiver in Pro-Logic mode. I wonder if the cable company's equipment is causing this now that they have to receive digital transmissions.

cousinkix1953

The LA stations did the test too. For kicks I plugged in the analogue VHF freq in the scanner to hear the audio announcement stating "your TV is not digital ready" ... haha.

That gives me an idea. Has anybody hooked one of those "over the air" DTV boxes to the back of a scanner's outdoor antenna jack? The connection is done the same way that you would with a preamp. There won't be any picture in this case either; but maybe the box will convert some of the digital P-25 audio into a useable analog format...

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
It's ATSC not P-25

That gives me an idea. Has anybody hooked one of those "over the air" DTV boxes to the back of a scanner's outdoor antenna jack? The connection is done the same way that you would with a preamp. There won't be any picture in this case either; but maybe the box will convert some of the digital P-25 audio into a useable analog format...
Digital TV, ATSC, does not use "P-25". Audio, video & data are all transmitted in a stream modulated 8VSB. However, if you can figure out how to tune your converter box w/o seeing a picture, those people who have analog TV audio on their scanners could receive digital TV audio.

Status
Not open for further replies.