DTW Airport in October

Status
Not open for further replies.

mmartinfan

Banned
I plan on being @ DTW in mid-October passing through to get to STL. I planned on bringing my 396T.

Which tower would be the best to program in to listen briefly to the 800TRS for the State, since it looks like the city system may not cover out there.

Yes I will also program in the NWA TRS also, it was kinda fun to listen to while I was there.

rcvmo

not a good idea to have a scanner in the airport ! they will be all over you !!

No if's and or but's.

My fellow colleagues are really protective at DTW. Put the scanner in your stow away stuff.
rcvmo

rdale

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Premium Subscriber
I've never had a problem with a scanner at DTW. I always keep it in my carryon and run the earplugs out while waiting.

Josh

Good gawd, I work at the airport and have my scanning radios in there every day I work. I have never been questioned about it, but that could just be because I work there.

Look at the frequency page here for DTW if you want to hear some of the other stuff, but remember, the airport police are on Analog 800Mhz trunking still.

-Josh

mmartinfan

Banned
I've never been even asked what my radio was.

Wayne County looks like something I need. And I will program those towers in for the Statewide system, and hope to get what I want to hear.

KB8UYC

Premium Subscriber
FNNM376 said:
not a good idea to have a scanner in the airport ! they will be all over you !!

This is definatly a myth....I mean there are a lot of things that the Airports would have an issue with, but they allow cellphones on airplanes.....whats the difference? I mean come on get real....not all airports will get all over someone exspecially since it is legal to carry one now!

Railscan

Carrying scanner at airport

The way things are today I wouldnt want the hastle of being detained and checked. Legal or not. Sure when its all over I'll go my way but at what expense, missing my flight, etc. Airports are just to sensitive of an area to be playing around.

KB8UYC

Premium Subscriber
Railscan said:
The way things are today I wouldnt want the hastle of being detained and checked. Legal or not. Sure when its all over I'll go my way but at what expense, missing my flight, etc. Airports are just to sensitive of an area to be playing around.

Again I ask though because people are saying that "they will get all over you" for having a scanner in a carry on bag. What is the difference than having my cell phone on my belt or my scanner in my bag like Rdale said?

There is no difference...

AEofficer116

well maybe if he said carry-on bag that "might be" a little differnt, there was no mention of it being in a carry on bag, that was "rdale" that said he has done that with headphones and a scanner in a carry on before. i think everyone else is thinking walking around or sitting somewhere in the airport with the scanner in hand or visible, you know as well as everyone else that might get some attention from law enforcement, your at a airport not walking down the street somewhere, with the state of things today, come on

rdale

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Premium Subscriber
Anyone in any establishment who sits there with a scanner going will be looked at strange. Doing it at an airport is probably going to have better odds of getting you questioned, but I think saying you'll be detained or harassed is stretching it a lot.

KB8UYC

Premium Subscriber
rdale said:
Anyone in any establishment who sits there with a scanner going will be looked at strange. Doing it at an airport is probably going to have better odds of getting you questioned, but I think saying you'll be detained or harassed is stretching it a lot.

I agree with that....

Combustion

I fly out of Metro quite frequently and I do listen to the scanner as I walk around the airport. I just put it in the one I am carying in the tub at the checkpoint with all of the other items from my pockets........the other two scanners are in my computer case. I have never had anyone raise an eyebrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.