• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

APX Dual 6500, what cables are needed?

WRTF671

Premium Subscriber
We're building out a dual band APX 6500 setup for one of the trucks here but our department is supported by Icom now so we're flying solo on this one. I'm using two HP 6500 bricks that we have with the right flashcode options but my question is about cables. I have the cables for the control head and the primary radio and I know I need HKN6245A to connect to the secondary radio but the installation manual says nothing about what cable is needed for the secondary radio speaker on an HP unit. It talks about the accessory cable and all the diagrams show the speaker/ignition sense cable used on an MP dash mount but nothing about the HP, can I assume it is safe to use the DB25 Ign/Speaker connector we scrounged off an XTL/03 head setup?

Thanks!

jeepsandradios

Feed Provider
Standard control cable from Head to Deck 1. From Deck 1 to Deck 2 its the same cable. In a pinch you can use the same 17' control cable but Motorola does sell a 2' one for this application. You will want accessory plugs on both decks for speakers. Ignition will be handled by the head but still need to use ignition and battery leads on head. No need to use ignition on the 26pin on the accessory cable on the deck. Also both radios must be the same Firmware version. If they are not upgrade firmware with only one deck plugged in at a time.

WRTF671

Premium Subscriber
Awesome, thank you so much! Is it better to run both speakers off the decks than to run one off the control head wiring harness? Also great intel on the deck A-B cable being the same as the control head cables, I have a few of those kicking around. I'll make sure both decks are updated when I program them on the bench.

WRTF671

Premium Subscriber
I never had good luck running one off the head. Running them off the deck is my preferred option. YMMV
Good to know! I have this half mocked up on the bench anyway, I'll test it all once everything comes in and see if there's a difference for me as well. Thanks!

WRTF671

Premium Subscriber
That's where I was getting tripped up too! I have that manual and was reading through it trying to find the part number for the HP install and just found that. That's the rear connector for the MP models, I have one of those but it won't work in this application. I have one of the DB25 connector versions that was with an HP XTL 03 HHCH setup I have but I wanted a second opinion before using it. I just tested it (single deck for now, still waiting on the UHF deck) and there's no problem passing audio from either the control head cables or the DB25. Now I'm wondering where I can hide all these speakers, I know there's an audio combiner option I make look into but maybe an aftermarket mixer would work...

jeepsandradios

Feed Provider
It works fine from the rear plug as said. I tried the mixer and hated it. I just run speakers. Yes installing 6 in a vehicle is a chore but on my truck I was able to run them along the bottom of the back seat. On my new truck I'm not sure yet.