Dual Antennas

Status
Not open for further replies.

waingro223

If i were to run two identical magnet antennas to a connector and joined them to one scanner, Would you think it would make a big difference. I'm wondering if two of the same antennas connected to one scanner on the same car would make a big difference?

jim202

The greatest change would be to your pocketbook. Where are you getting the idea of connecting
2 antennas to the same scanner? Unless the cables are the same exact length and they are spaced
the perfect distance apart to make a directional array, the only thing your doing is causing more
mobile flutter.

Some people would say that by using the 2 antennas that when one is in a phasing null, the other
one would be in a stronger signal area. This may be true under some very certain occasions.
However, I think you will find that the expense doesn't justify the results.

What am I basing my comments on? Well some 47 years in the 2 way radio field working with
public safety systems and actually doing field measurements on signal strength. Haven't found
any antenna to be the holy grail to reception. You just can't change the laws of physics.

Jim

If i were to run two identical magnet antennas to a connector and joined them to one scanner, Would you think it would make a big difference. I'm wondering if two of the same antennas connected to one scanner on the same car would make a big difference?

zz0468

QRT
Banned

Yes, it would make a big difference. Read the sticky about multiple antennas on one radio. It's all around a really bad idea.

n5ims

At best it would make your antenna directional (good signal until you turn a corner and then nothing) and at worst the signals from one antenna would cancel out the signals from the other antenna so you'd receive nothing. Most likely you'd end up with something inbetween, which would still be a net loss in signal to your scanner.

kb2vxa

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Now that was the best idea yet, an amplifier in the mobile to drag in every bit of noise generated by the vehicle and intermod from nearby transmitters... WAY TO GO! ('->)

Status
Not open for further replies.