• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

dual band antenna

Status
Not open for further replies.

327skidoo

hi all i am currently using Laird C150450C dual band mobile antennas they work decent but they seem to have an extremly narrow band with i operate between 152-157mhz on vhf and on Uhf 463-469 and i cant seeem to get a satisfactory SWR for more than one mhz at the most and Suggestions

12dbsinad

Give us some more info...what are your SWR readings, antenna placement, Tx power, etc so we have a little bit more background to go by.

SCPD

QRT
Are you looking for a dual band commercial style antenna that words on HAM freqs? I have looked for ages, and never did find much that I liked. (I was looking for something that is short and BLACK) impossible to find.

327skidoo

hey sorry for lack of info i mainly transmit in the 152 mhz, and the 157 mhzs and 462-469 mhz s i have the antenna smack dab in the middle of my roof its a 3/4 inch nmo mount my swr is about 1:3 :1 on 151mhz and 469mhz when i go up or down channels for example when i use talk around i talk on 464 mhzs and my swr is past 2:1 :1 i can ajust the antenna to work on any of them freqs but its like the antenna bandwith is only 1 Mhz wide at the most

fineshot1

hey sorry for lack of info i mainly transmit in the 152 mhz, and the 157 mhzs and 462-469 mhz s i have the antenna smack dab in the middle of my roof its a 3/4 inch nmo mount my swr is about 1:3 :1 on 151mhz and 469mhz when i go up or down channels for example when i use talk around i talk on 464 mhzs and my swr is past 2:1 :1 i can ajust the antenna to work on any of them freqs but its like the antenna bandwith is only 1 Mhz wide at the most

If you are going to need that kind of band width a 1/4 wave antenna for
each band would probably better suit your needs.

Pat

Premium Subscriber
bwca44: check out this antenna: http://comtelco.net/PDF/A1531.PDF

I've been using one for my dual-band amateur radio and it seems to work pretty decently. It's only around 19" tall and you can order it with a black finish. Initially I had the Larsen NMO2/70SH but it corroded quite quickly due to road salt.

Pat

SCPD

QRT
Pat: thanks so much for the info, even though the thread is older I have still been looking for a black dual band antenna! Im currently rolling with a black larson vhf (actually two, I have a VHF 1/4 wave for the scanner) Here in South Dakota the winter was pretty mild, so the salt didnt eat it to much.

tfhphoto

Premium Subscriber
If you are looking for a broad-banded dual band antenna, I'd suggest the Comet CA-2x4SR. I have two of them (one on scanner and one on dual band ham radio). They are available in black. RX on 800 Mhz is respectable.

In my testing, SWR is only very slightly worse than a 5/8 Larson VHF cut for 155.xxx. Haven't compared vs 5/8 on UHF.

According to Comet:

1.5:1 or less SWR: 144-148/440-450MHz
2:1 or less SWR: 140-160/435-465MHz
Gain: 3.8/6.2dBi

The downside is that they aren't especially pretty. Upside, they are very good performers for what they are.

Maxrad used to make several wideband gain antennas in the 90s, but there have been so many industry changes since then, and LMR antennas seem to have been sidelined for cellular and wireless data development. IF you could find a broadband VHF antenna (the one I'm thinking of is a 5/8 wave with a stiff sleeve above a spring) and a broadband UHF antenna (also a stiff sleeve above the spring and up to about an inch below the coil), you can use a small cross-band coupler (mistakenly called a "duplexer" in some circles) to go back to your one radio... if that's what you have. I don't think there is a broadband dualband antenna made. There is also a VHF unity gain broadband antenna which has a 10 MHz spread. Good luck - and if you find such an animal - please post it.

I found the antennas I was thinking about:

MWB4505 - UHF (42 MHz wide) 5 dB gain
MWB5803 - VHF high band (18 MHz wide) 3 dB gain
MWBDC4700 - VHF low band (5 MHz wide) unity gain

from PCTel Maxrad. The bandwidth is between 2:1 SWR points. Not sure if they're made anymore, although I was able to find the UHF one on some websites. The VHF ones would make a powerful klong as they hit the branches.

fineshot1

Isn't that what the lightbar is for - so you don't end up damaging the antennas by going into the parking garage? :lol:

Unfortunately I get dragged into trying to fix those also. Once one of them
drove up to our shop with the thing hanging off the side of the vehicle only
being held on by the multi-wire cable. :(

ramal121

Lots and lots of watts
Premium Subscriber
Unfortunately I get dragged into trying to fix those also. Once one of them
drove up to our shop with the thing hanging off the side of the vehicle only
being held on by the multi-wire cable. :(

FS Vectors sail like a hang glider when you forget the hooks (friggin' installers).

VIA TAPATALK

Status
Not open for further replies.