• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Dual Band/Dual Head just clicks when I try to turn on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

dhalbasch

Premium Subscriber
I had a dual band/single head tk790/tk890 for years without a problem. It then started to not turn on once in a while, most of the time it would turn on. Last month it just stopped turning on at all, it would just make a noise like a relay closing. I've been wanting to upgrade to a duel head setup, which I did this weekend. All parts of the dual head setup are brand new out of the box, the control cables I also replaced with new. Still same problem.

I've confirmed good power to both decks.

Both radios have the CalFire firmware if it makes a difference.

Nothing was done to the radios prior to this issue.

Any ideas?

Thanks for reading,
Dennis

dhalbasch

Premium Subscriber
I ment to mention that it never was hooked up in the first place. So the answer is no, but it's worked for years the way it is.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Any ideas?

Well, not sure what vintage the radio is, but these have been out of production for a while.
Intermittent issues like that sort of suggest a component starting to fail. Your best bet would be to sit down with the radio and a service manual and start going through it until you find the offender.

The only relay in it is for the horn relay circuit. There's no relays in the power circuit.

For simplification, I'd put it back into it's original configuration (single head) and start working on it. Trying to trouble shoot it with a new head attached is just going to add to the confusion.

dhalbasch

Premium Subscriber
Other than turning on and off, it probably has been years since I programed it, however, I'll figure out what pin to hook power to and give it a try. Can't hurt. The only problem is I'm evacuated due to the Zogg fire, no idea when I can get back in. (or if anything will be there when I do get back).

Dennis

ramal121

Lots and lots of watts
Premium Subscriber
Grabbing at straws here, but whenever I get a weird problem on a remoted X90 the first thing I do is pop off the covers and make sure the control cables are seated firmly. Run into this every so often. Easy enough to check. Older units are more prone to this as the little white connector doesn't have the positive "click" the new units do when inserting.

Status
Not open for further replies.