dual-band mobile radio for storm spotter

Status
Not open for further replies.

ladn

Explorer of the Frequency Spectrum
Premium Subscriber
Southern California and sometimes Owens Valley
Also look at the Icom 2730A. I have one in one of my vehicles (and a Yaesu FT-8800 in another). I use Larsen NMO 2/70 antennas on both radios.
In addition to the radio and antenna, you will also want programming software. RT Systems provides software with cables for a variety of radios..

mrweather

In terms of their dual-band radios, Yaesu seems to be pushing their Fusion models. The FTM-7250DR is reasonably priced, basic dual-band radio. But if you want dual-receive, you're relegated to the FTM-400XDR or the new FTM-300DR. Both are over double the price of a 7250.

Disclosure: I own two 400XDRs and a 7250DR and have had no issues with any of them.

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
The 2730A sucks at crossband repeating. It can't cope with different PL tones on each band when crossbanding. A bug plaguing Icom dual bands for years. The Yaesu's and Kenwoods are kings of crossband. The V71A/D710GA are essentially the exact same radio with different control heads.

Wasn't aware the 8900 is discontinued. The one I bought in early 2020 has a late serial number and is a "Yaesu The Radio" product post the split from Motorola-Vertex. Guess I got lucky. I paid $339 for it.

chief21

Premium Subscriber
Summer - Western NC; Winter - Tampa Bay FL
The 8900 seems to be discontinued on universal-radio and gigaparts; can you recommend another 70cm/2m Yaesu?

The Yaesu FTM-400 is a popular model... excellent display, true dual-band, separate head, distinct upper and lower memory groups, cross-band, fast scanning, etc. It also does Fusion C4FM (digital), but even discounting the digital, I think it is an awesome radio. I have 4 of them.

bjewett

The 2730A sucks at crossband repeating. It can't cope with different PL tones on each band when crossbanding. A bug plaguing Icom dual bands for years. The Yaesu's and Kenwoods are kings of crossband. The V71A/D710GA are essentially the exact same radio with different control heads.

Wasn't aware the 8900 is discontinued. The one I bought in early 2020 has a late serial number and is a "Yaesu The Radio" product post the split from Motorola-Vertex. Guess I got lucky. I paid $339 for it.
I had not heard that about the 2730. That and wondering how many $$ accessories - like connecting face control to body - I would need to actually make it work -- will stick with the big two brands.

russbrill

Greetings. I'm a meteorologist looking for a mobile ham radio for communicating with skywarn/NWS radio networks. That's it. As such I'm considering 50W (for range) and 70cm/2m, which seems to be the bands of interest, ~144/440 MHz. I am not currently a ham. My best friend ham radio expert has passed away :(

I'd appreciate your thoughts. I am tech- and car-wiring-friendly but not a pro. The more intuitive the better, and I won't be trying to broadcast out of band or hit hams in other countries.

In the lowest-price well-regarded radios I was seeing the Kenwood TM-V71a and Yaesu 8*** radios. I'm surprised these radios originated 5-10 years ago but they seem to be some folks' favorites. I see the anti-China-radio community and don't care beyond ease of use and reliability, which seems to take me back to the above two. The Icom's seem to require extra $100s of add-ons, so I'm less inclined there. Any thoughts are much appreciated.

Icom IC-2730A, nice radio..

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
I had not heard that about the 2730. That and wondering how many $$ accessories - like connecting face control to body - I would need to actually make it work -- will stick with the big two brands.
The remote kit and actual radio bracket are OPTIONAL, or they were when I bought one in 2016.
Wasn't impressed with this radio, especially for cross band. Gave it to a new ham as a 1st radio and bought an FT-8900R to replace it.

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ

Crossband repeat offered on the V71A is FAR superior to the FT-8800. If crossband repeat is a requirement, I would buy the TM-V71A.

Status
Not open for further replies.