Dual band router

Status
Not open for further replies.

mjbjr

I need a router that will support n and g at the same time.my laptop supports n and the ps3 and other pc supports g.I dont know much about these things,but i hope i cant get one fairly cheap.Dont need any bells and whistles. Anyone got ideas?

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Tossing this out there, you may already be aware:

Your laptop should support G as well as B, so getting a router that does G should work.

While yes, there is the obvious speed issues between N and G, it likely won't make much difference unless you either have:
1, the need to do massive file transfers between another N connected or 100mb wired computer or,
2, you have a network connection to your ISP that exceeds the speed of your 54mb/s G wireless connection.

Faster wireless speeds won't speed up your connection to the ISP.

I think you'll find that most N routers have some backwards compatibility with G at minimum.

celsasser

Premium Subscriber
Most N wireless routers are backwards compatible with G, and also offer hardwired ports as well as wireless ports. Check out NewEgg or Amazon for LynkSys routers; they are pretty reasonable routers and you can ofter catch them on clearance.

ScannerSK

The problem I have read about is that most routers slow down the communication speed to the slowest connected device. So, connect both a 802.11n device and a 802.11g device and the router slows down to 802.11g for all devices.

Possibly there are routers that get around this issue? In the mean time, used wireless G routers are very affordable. Running two separate routers would be one viable solution.

mjbjr

Speed isnt an issue,the ps3 we seldom use,but i cant run a wire threw the apartment(Thats just tacky IMO).
But the ps3 wil not connect to my router.Ive called sony 3 times over time and get the same answer.

Also,just got a droid stratosphere today,and cannot get it to connect ethier to the router.

As far as 2 routers,is that even possible? Ive never thought of it,but is it something that can be setup with ease?

ScannerSK

A quick search reveals quite a few people with connectivity issues with the WNR2000 and the ps3. The below two links might be helpful in fixing this.
Port Forwarding PS3 Bolt on the Netgear WNR2000 - PortForward.com
WNR2000 and my PS3 - can't get decent connection - Cable Forum

I plugged a second router into one of the LAN ports on my main router and both work fine.

Sometimes lowering the security level fixes connectivity problems. You could temporarily disable security to see if this is the problem. Possibly WPA security would work or as a last resort a WEP security type.

Shawn

Status
Not open for further replies.