• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

dual band spectra help

Status
Not open for further replies.

KK4ELO

im thinking of setting up a spectra in my truck with the single head to control two radios. one uhf, one vhf. with that setup, will it scan both bands, or will it only scan the band selected?

thanks

mancow

Database Admin
The only way to do it is to use an "SIU" setup which is normally an analog A3 two digit style hand mic that goes to an SIU integration box which the two radio decks connect to. It's huge, unwieldy and a real ***** to work with. There is no way to hook up a regular control head and split it up to two radios like Kenwood and Vertex products, at least not with the regular Spectra line.

zz0468

QRT
Banned
It can be done with a standard A5 or A7 head. It's not a stock option, and you'll have to build the interface yourself. There are several mods required of the radio, but nothing serious. The radios operate just fine with the head removed, once you provision them for that.

What will happen is, each radio will remain in whatever the last state it was in when it was talking to the control head. Disconnect the head to connect to the other radio, and if it was in scan, it will remain in scan.

mancow

Database Admin
I was thinking in terms of off the shelf options but you are correct.

I bet that an arduino could be used to steamline the data if a guy was good at coding. It would make a neat project.

jparks29

John McClane
Orions/m7100s do it out of the box... as a factory option... and they're pretty cheap...

I have vhf and uhf on one handheld control head... with discrete control of each radio.

K

kb0nly

Better off with two radios...

I have built the dual band single head Spectra setup before, i even did a Syntor X9000 dual radio setup a year or so ago. Both are clunky to operate in my opinion, just not that user friendly, programming is a pain, setting it up is a pain. The amount of money you would have invested would easily buy a good side by side display dual band radio, like the Yaesu FT-8800.

Status
Not open for further replies.