• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Dual Band TK690 TK890 problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

Motoflightmedic

Premium Subscriber
I have had this dual band setup for a while. about a year ago i realized the Low band deck had gone deaf. So i grabbed another low band radio and did the mods that are required for this type of setup for the second radio. I then started having some pl decoding issues. so after some research i figured out that both radios need to have the same firmware in them. Today i Had a couple of different low band and UHF decks and installed the newest firmware off of kenwoods dealers website in them, did the typical bench tests for tx and rx checks. both radios were well within spec. I put everything together and dump the programming in and now when i power up this system i get a beep, pause, beep, pause. just a continuous loop.

My first question is, how do you tell what firmware checksum is installed in the radio? I guess i should have done this first but i can backtrack if i need to.

second question is what is the beep pause loop trying to tell me?

ramal121

Lots and lots of watts
Premium Subscriber
For the checksum put the radio into firmware programming (program 115200) and then press MON. the radio will calculate the checksum.

Not sure of the beeps. Usually means VCO is unlocked. Did you check the programming to see if the freqs are correct for each radio?

Also to upgrade firmware the radios need to be separated. Did you try to update with both radios connected?

Motoflightmedic

Premium Subscriber
I downloaded the firmware to each radio before i put them into the dual band configuration. I double checked the programming to make sure all the frequencies were where they are supposed to be.

How do you put the radio into "firmware programming"?

Motoflightmedic

Premium Subscriber
i just found it in the service manual. looks like i may not have got my firmware written correctly. time to break them back down. bummer.

ramal121

Lots and lots of watts
Premium Subscriber
i just found it in the service manual. looks like i may not have got my firmware written correctly. time to break them back down. bummer.
Yeah, really. If you get things wayyyy out in left field, what I would do is pull the KRK-6 off of the 690 and connect the control head directly to the radio essentially making it a dash mount radio. Flash it with the latest firmware and then dump in a simple low band codeplug to make sure all is working. Then switch gears and do the same for the 890. Try a simple UHF codeplug to make sure that all works.

Then you can re-install the KRK-6 and set it up back as a dual band radio and jam the dual band programming back into and see where you go.

A little bit of bench work but thankfully it's pretty hard to brick a Kenwood as compared to that other manufacturer.

Sent from my SM-T560NU using Tapatalk

ramal121

Lots and lots of watts
Premium Subscriber
I downloaded the firmware to each radio before i put them into the dual band configuration. I double checked the programming to make sure all the frequencies were where they are supposed to be.

How do you put the radio into "firmware programming"?
I thought you already tried this. Press and hold the PF1 key (left key, bottom row) during power up. If that doesn't work it needs to be enabled via the FPU.

Sent from my SM-T560NU using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.