Dual boot windows7 and xp

Status
Not open for further replies.

bravo14

Premium Subscriber
I have a HP Pavilion DV6-6104NR I try to put a different hard drive it won't work keeps rebooting over and over any ideas how to make a dual boot?

bravo14

Premium Subscriber
I did some research about it it tells me its in BIOS setup not listed not sure if the HP updated were you can't disable the ATA/IDE.

SignalSeeker

Premium Subscriber
Try some detail, what do you have and what is it doing. And not doing

In general a loaded harddrive from one computer does not work in another. Hardware makes all the difference.

Justin

bravo14

Premium Subscriber

In general a loaded harddrive from one computer does not work in another. Hardware makes all the difference.

Justin

I know I have to find the drivers for XP but I am having trouble to program some radios I have on Win7 cause the USB cables will not load gives errors etc...I even updated the USB drivers still gives me errors. I can't run the is one DOS program either.

CapStar362

if your trying to boot one drive and taking it out and booting another that theoretically will work if you start the PC cold each time.

now having XP on a same HDD as 7 takes some trickery you MUST install XP BEFORE 7 or it will lock out your XP from being installed. all else fails just run a Virtual Machine.

i currently have ( and yes LEGALLY OWNED by myself and still have the discs) on my Oracle Virtual Box:

7 Pro 64 and 32 Bit
Vista Ultimate 32 Bit
XP Pro 32 bit
XP Home 32 Bit
XP-MCE 32 Bit
All versions of Win2K
Win 98 SE
Win 98
Win 95
Win 3.11
DOS 6.22

MrJimmo

Always hard to troubleshoot with forum posts, but if I read this right, you have a working Win7 machine but some apps are running correctly? You could try right-clicking on the application EXE, selecting Properties from that context menu, and using the Compatibility tab to run it in XP compat mode.

Doesn't hurt to try and may save all sorts of mix-n-match trouble.

Seeker is right, simply transplanting the HD from one machine into another is unlikely to be a smooth experience.

CapStar362

Justin

in theory yes, but if you transplant a drive from one IDENTICAL machine to another.... and i mean EXACTLY identical. it will boot without a BSOD.

bravo14

Premium Subscriber
I have looked on Ebay found a computer that has xp on it. I hate this win7 64bit nothing works with it. So I bought the computer when it gets here I will be selling this laptop getting tired of it nothing works with it. I even try to reformat it and try to put xp on here gave me a blue screen. I also try the steps also didn't work out for me I think I might missed a step or 2

com501

Every piece of software I have works with Win 7 64 bit EXCEPT cdm/ht software and 1225 software.

The CDM/HT Waris software does NOT support x64 based machines, period. You can run the program, load and edit archives, but you cannot read/write the radio.

1225 software runs fine under XP Virtual in Win7 Ultimate. Go figure.

It helps of course, to buy a computer with a physical serial port. Even the bad boy machine I have at home (dual i7 processors) has a hard serial port. Laptops? You are on your own. Chances are, one that doesn't have a serial port won't have a PCMCIA card slot either to put a hard port into.

DOS?? Fuggedaboutit in anything newer. Its the O/S and the speed of the hardware....

bravo14

Premium Subscriber
Every piece of software I have works with Win 7 64 bit EXCEPT cdm/ht software and 1225 software.

The CDM/HT Waris software does NOT support x64 based machines, period. You can run the program, load and edit archives, but you cannot read/write the radio.

1225 software runs fine under XP Virtual in Win7 Ultimate. Go figure.

It helps of course, to buy a computer with a physical serial port. Even the bad boy machine I have at home (dual i7 processors) has a hard serial port. Laptops? You are on your own. Chances are, one that doesn't have a serial port won't have a PCMCIA card slot either to put a hard port into.

DOS?? Fuggedaboutit in anything newer. Its the O/S and the speed of the hardware....

I think the only thing the computer coming doesn't have the serial port but got everything else on it. Most of my radios use usb cables.

Status
Not open for further replies.