Dual Input Headphone Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

moustache

Does anyone know of any dual input headphones, with individual volume on each ear. The reason I ask is I am a big airshow fan and typically like to have at least two scanners on me, one for airboss and one for show discreet, or in the case of jet teams, one for the damond and one for the solos. The way I do this now is just hook them into a splitter, but it can be hard to listen like that at times. I got this idea from wacthing NASCAR, where they have one headset with two radios attached, and they can talk to either individually, at least I think thats how that works. Any suggestions would be a big help, and if this is posted in the wrong place, mods feel free to move it.

hpycmpr

Two ideas here.
I was looking through a Pryme catalog (Pryme Radio Products) and they have what you saw. The double muff with mic and an external input jack on one muff, but $200.
The other idea is to use two ear pieces, one per radio, and put a dual muff ear protector over them to keep the aircraft noise out. The ear protector is available at hardware stores. It works and is a lot cheaper.

Steve

Russell

Texas DB Admin
Database Admin
The standard stereo Y adapter will route the audio to both ears. What is needed is something that splits the stereo into into left and right plugs - one to each scanner. These can be built but I'd like to find a premade one as well. I also like the idea of separate left/right volume on the headphones as the OP posted. A small audio mixer with crossfade would be ideal, but I can't find one that is small enough for portable use.

moustache

Two ideas here.
I was looking through a Pryme catalog (Pryme Radio Products) and they have what you saw. The double muff with mic and an external input jack on one muff, but $200.
The other idea is to use two ear pieces, one per radio, and put a dual muff ear protector over them to keep the aircraft noise out. The ear protector is available at hardware stores. It works and is a lot cheaper.

Steve

I have thought about the two ear piece idea, but ideally I would like to have a stand alone headset for this purpose, and more importantly I would like volume on the headset itself, mainly because the Pro-164 has an overly senisitive volume knob. I have found that in a certain range its usable, but the second you touch it, it will end up way to loud, or way to quite, with not much room in between.

RadioDaze

The standard stereo Y adapter will route the audio to both ears. What is needed is something that splits the stereo into into left and right plugs - one to each scanner

You're right, that totally slipped my mind. When I started googling, I was looking for one that split the stereo off to two mono males. It had occurred to me that a homebrew was one of the the only ways to accomplish it, but it's difficult to work with small shielded cabling. Still, a sloppy job can be good enough, and cheap.

For separate volume control, I'd probably try to place a pot in the speaker in each headphone shell. I agree about those touchy volume knobs. That's my #1 pet peeve with my Pro-106.

majoco

Stirrer
Buy yourself a pair of 'earbuds' - the things that come with MP3 players. Cut the 3.5mm stereo connector off and split the pair of wires. Then solder on a plug to each wire to fit the radios. Stick'em into your ears and put on a pair of ear defenders. :)

moustache

In case anyone is interested I bought a pair of headphones that had individual volume on each ear, I got a pair of Califone 3068AV. Then to split the channels I used an airplane headphone adapter, with mono 3.5mm inputs to a stereo 3.5mm output. This way I can control left and right separately, not the best because of the extra wires needed, but the best that I could do for relatively cheap.

Status
Not open for further replies.