Dual Radio's and Single GPS Unit

Status
Not open for further replies.

jpjohn

Premium Subscriber
Has anyone tried and been succesful in taking the signal from a single GPS unit and putting it into two BCD996T's?

Putting it another way: Can one take the serial cable from a GPS unit, use a splitter and pump the data from the GPS into two different radio's at the same time?

In my mind it would be possible since it basically is a one-way coversation (GPS to radio) - but I'm not the expert so I'll let the experts on this board help me with it!!

Please share your thoughts or idea's. Thank you ahead of time!!!

brscanning

It should work as long as you only split the transmit from the GPS to both radios. Just to be safe, you could make buffer just in case the load is too much for the GPS.

jpjohn

Premium Subscriber
Thank you for the replies!!

Scott: In the link you had posted you had mentioned something about posting pictures and drawings of what you did with the phone cable when you had time. Were those ever posted? I'd really like to see the setup that you made.

Am I correcct that in the case of two scanners there is no communication from the radio to the GPS unit? That being the case - then could I use a cable splitter such as the one you had posted the link to?

Thank you again.

STiMULi

IMG_4893.JPG

Here you go...

The one on the left is a DB9 Male
The two on the right are DB9 females

The telephone splitter is a 267A type (2pair in / 2pair out x 2)

K5RYA

Was gonna create this same thread til I found this, looks like the images are gone as they are a few years old. Is it possible to get the images reuploaded again? I am very interested in sharing a single GPS receiver with multiple scanners.

DaveIN

Founders Curmudgen
Database Admin
The cable should be one to one as shown on the connectors at the top of that page. All that really should be needed is the TX, RX, and ground.

K5RYA

The cable should be one to one as shown on the connectors at the top of that page. All that really should be needed is the TX, RX, and ground.

I know, and no you would want to cut the tx from any of the extra devices as you dont want two devices trying to send commands to the gps at once.

I was just interested in seeing what the poster had come up with and asked for the pictures if he still had them and didnt mind uploading them. thank you for the advice though.

Status
Not open for further replies.