Dual scanner feed... help please

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeremy173

Feed Provider
Hey folks, currently I have one scanner for my feed. I have set my broadcasting area as suggested in the wiki forums. I want to add a second scanner this weekend and have tried it today for fun. Again I used the suggested way to do this from the forum here on the web site. I can't seem to get the audio to split, I would like police on left speak and fire on the right, when I tried it today both police and fire came in on both speakers... Any ideas as to what I may be doing wrong?? I am using the cables that the forum suggests using also.. Just can't seem to get the audio to split to left and right...

Thanks

Jeremy.

PM me if you have any ideas or suggestions.

Rob_K

Feed Provider
Are you using a Y cable? Need to be 100% sure it is correct as shown in the wiki.

You are using a line in port and not a mic...correct?

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
One feed, two audio sources

1) Unless there is virtually no radio traffic on the channels, I hate those kinds of feeds. I'd rather receive two separate feeds.

2) The usual problem is that you are using the MIC input on your sound card which are almost always mono. You'll need to use LINE input. Also since most scanners provide a mono (headphone) output, you do have to use the proper combination of adapters and cables to get the signals routed as desired.

3) Regardless of the approach, I strongly suggest using a "digital level meter" to monitor the sound level of what you are streaming. The one I use is from Darkwood and there are several threads here on RR about it.

Jeremy173

Feed Provider
Thanks Rob_K, I was using the mic and not the line in port, I will make this change tomorrow and see what happens.

Are you using a Y cable? Need to be 100% sure it is correct as shown in the wiki.

You are using a line in port and not a mic...correct?

Jeremy173

Feed Provider
Thank you very much for that post, it was very helpful. I will make sure I use the audio input and I will also check out the digital level meter.

1) Unless there is virtually no radio traffic on the channels, I hate those kinds of feeds. I'd rather receive two separate feeds.

2) The usual problem is that you are using the MIC input on your sound card which are almost always mono. You'll need to use LINE input. Also since most scanners provide a mono (headphone) output, you do have to use the proper combination of adapters and cables to get the signals routed as desired.

3) Regardless of the approach, I strongly suggest using a "digital level meter" to monitor the sound level of what you are streaming. The one I use is from Darkwood and there are several threads here on RR about it.

Rob_K

Feed Provider
I guess I assumed you were doing two feeds but based on other poster's question, let me ask a question...

You are doing 2 scanners, in to one computer, in to one LINE IN port (which you said you would check). Are you using ONE instance of the broadcast software with one feed being right and one being left? If yes, this is quite annoying.

Why not apply for a second feed and just run the software twice? I have 3 feeds, 3 scanner. One is running on the mic port (mono) and the other 2 use a LINE IN port (Split Left / Right). In the software, the RIGHT is turned all the way down on one feed and the left is adjusted to a good level. For the other feed, it is reversed.

The only reason I can think NOT to do this is if you are worried about bandwidth. Based on the numbers posted in the forum, I'm uploading 15gb per month. My cap is somewhere over 200gb so, I'm not too worried.

Let me know if you need further clarification.

-Rob

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
Are you using ONE instance of the broadcast software with one feed being right and one being left? If yes, this is quite annoying.
This is what I wrote earlier. I too would much rather see/hear TWO separate feeds. I have 2 full time separate feeds here.

I am using USB sound cards as my audio input device. You can't beat the $1 cost from eBay (learned about them here on RR). There are certainly many ways to do it.

Jeremy173

Feed Provider
Rob could you please email me at jeremyjquillian@gmail.com

I have a few questions before I make a final decision on what to do, lol.

I guess I assumed you were doing two feeds but based on other poster's question, let me ask a question...

You are doing 2 scanners, in to one computer, in to one LINE IN port (which you said you would check). Are you using ONE instance of the broadcast software with one feed being right and one being left? If yes, this is quite annoying.

Why not apply for a second feed and just run the software twice? I have 3 feeds, 3 scanner. One is running on the mic port (mono) and the other 2 use a LINE IN port (Split Left / Right). In the software, the RIGHT is turned all the way down on one feed and the left is adjusted to a good level. For the other feed, it is reversed.

The only reason I can think NOT to do this is if you are worried about bandwidth. Based on the numbers posted in the forum, I'm uploading 15gb per month. My cap is somewhere over 200gb so, I'm not too worried.

Let me know if you need further clarification.

-Rob

Jeremy173

Feed Provider
Can you email me please

jeremyjquillian@gmail.com

I have a question about the usb sound cards

This is what I wrote earlier. I too would much rather see/hear TWO separate feeds. I have 2 full time separate feeds here.

I am using USB sound cards as my audio input device. You can't beat the $1 cost from eBay (learned about them here on RR). There are certainly many ways to do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.