Dual vs Triple Trunking

Status
Not open for further replies.

KD0BML

Feed Provider
Went to my local Radioshack to look at a new desktop scanner. The salesperson there said that our local system just switched to Triple Trunking and I'd have to buy a new triple trunking scanner now.

The only thing that happend is our local EDACS system moved 2 frequencies for rebanding which I reprogrammed in my Dual Trunking scanner which works just fine.

I take it that this is just their marketing technique? Or am I missing something with Triple Trunking? From what I figured out, Dual Trunking was Motorola/EDACS and Triple Trunking was Motorola/EDACS and LTR, which wouldn't make a difference around here.

dxradio2003

Triple vs. dual trunking

Hi,

You are abosultly correct in your analysis. The clerk either didn't know the differences, or they were just trying to sell you a new scanner. Either way is not good.

--dx

KD0BML

Feed Provider
I tried to explain that to them, but they blew me off like I didn't know what I was talkin about. They also recommended I get a digital scanner because everything was going to be digital by 2025. That's fine, but with EDACS, that would be ProVoice and the scanners they sell now wouldn't work anyway.

I wonder how many scanners they've sold since the rebanding that they used this line on.

SCPD

QRT
Some older scanners can not handle rebanding. If any frequency ends in a Zero 888.2750 for example you will be out of luck. what scanner do you have . if its any older than a pro 96, I believe you will have to Upgrade what system are you tring to monitor?.

qlajlu

Silent Key
Some older scanners can not handle rebanding. If any frequency ends in a Zero 888.2750 for example you will be out of luck. what scanner do you have . if its any older than a pro 96, I believe you will have to Upgrade what system are you tring to monitor?.

He never said he was having any trouble with a frequency. He was pointing out the difference between dual trunking and triple trunking.

Your example of 888.2750 MHz is way off, too. After rebanding, no public service frequency will be over 860 MHz. Also, the dreaded "0" only applies to LCNs 440 (851.0250 MHz) to 559 (854.0000 MHz).

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
I (analog) = Motorola
II (analog) = Motorola, EDACS
III (analog) = Motorola, EDACS, LTR
IV (analog and digital) = Motorola, EDACS, LTR, P25

Also (since some people don't seem to grasp this concept no matter how many times it's repeated) rebanding issues with scanners apply ONLY to 800 MHz Motorola systems. That is because Motorola systems use predetermined FCC LCN's. Hence the need for a custom channel plan on some rebanded Motorola systems, in particular those which use rebanded frequencies between 851 - 854 MHz (LCNs 440 - 559) that have a 0 in the fourth position after the decimal.

EDACS and LTR systems do not use these FCC LCN's, they use their own custom LCN's. All one needs to do is program the new rebanded frequency in place of the old frequency on each affected LCN, and you're ready to go. Custom channel plans do not apply to EDACS or LTR systems.

So in a nutshell: If you don't listen to Motorola trunked systems, it doesn't matter if your scanner is "reband compliant" or not, it will still work perfectly fine on EDACS and LTR systems.

qlajlu

Silent Key
Very well put, Chauffeur6. I keep forgetting about the EDACS and LTR systems since I don't have any public service agencies on either of those type systems in my area. I appreciate the reminder.

RadioDaze

So, are they saying that if I bought an RS scanner now, I'd get a good 15 years out of it? That kind of exceeds my expectations.

(Not that I don't have some 15 year old RS scanners that still work...)

marcotor

I ♥ÆS Ø
Feed Provider
Typical RS salespeople.

I was in a store a couple of weeks ago as they sent someone out with a telescoping antenna (with the center load), telling the person who bought it that it would let him hear the Orange County, CA P25 system on his Pro-2052! Like a longer antenna would help (they also failed to mention OC is encrypted for the PD/Sheriff systems).

RadioDaze

I've heard about those new center-loaded, P25-decoding antennas. If you unscrew the loading coil and look inside, there's a tiny Pro-106 in there. But it WAS pretty misleading to not mention that it won't decode the encrypted traffic.

Status
Not open for further replies.