Dual Whip Antennas

Status
Not open for further replies.

kc8zdf

If i were to couple two antennas together for 2 meters and two for 800 would this increase my signal on tx and rx. Kinda like in the day where cb's have dual whips.

thanks kc8zdf

kb2vxa

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
KC, now you're talking like a CBer. Do your homework and learn something about phased directional arrays before I spank you with a couple of Twin Truckers. Yeah, it'll increase your signal just like a beam but unless you know something about phasing and element spacing your results will be extremely unpredictable and entirely useless.

Speaking of CB and truckers, I wish they'd come out with the Cat 'O Nine Tails antenna so I could whip them with it, those dual mirror mounts are just that rediculous. Never mind the roger beeps, echo boxes and noisemakers feeding those illegally amplified splatter boxes causing QRM on the ham bands, I have other ideas concerning them.

kc8zdf

haha well dont want to sound like a cber but just was wondering I hate those echo mics and those 10 4 good buddies stuff. Alright well it sounds like if you dont have the right spacing it useless. So i will stick with just a single antenna for 2 meter but what about two antennas for 800mhz just spaced apart like 2/1/2 feet apart for just receiving. Since i will not be tx on the 800mhz.. its just for the pro 96

thanks for the input

wesct

kb2vxa said:
KC, now you're talking like a CBer. Do your homework and learn something about phased directional arrays before I spank you with a couple of Twin Truckers. Yeah, it'll increase your signal just like a beam but unless you know something about phasing and element spacing your results will be extremely unpredictable and entirely useless.

Speaking of CB and truckers, I wish they'd come out with the Cat 'O Nine Tails antenna so I could whip them with it, those dual mirror mounts are just that rediculous. Never mind the roger beeps, echo boxes and noisemakers feeding those illegally amplified splatter boxes causing QRM on the ham bands, I have other ideas concerning them.

instead of slapping, how about teaching?

wesct

johnvassel

kb2vxa said:

The idea behind dual mirror mounts, properly spaced (semi-s ARE big enough) is to promote gain in a forward and backwards fashion. They werent concerned with the kids in the hoods, rather in whats ahead of them on the highway.
They did the job well. And, properly installed, help reduce off highway noise on the bands.

prcguy

The use of dual mirror mounts on semi’s comes from a basic mounting problem rather than the want for gain. Most cabs and roofs are fiberglass and the few metal roofs suitable for antenna mounting have the box sitting right behind the antenna and are much higher causing blockage. Dual mirror mounts are the natural solution to keep the antenna(s) in the clear and round out the radiation pattern. I’m a little embarrassed to admit installing around 1000 CBs and antennas from the late 60s through the late 70s and have measured the results of various mounting locations. Any gain from co-phasing at a short distance of 7 to 8ft is very minimal and influenced more by the shape of the cab and box. In fact, a single antenna in the center of a metal cab roof works better in all directions than two of the same antennas mounted on the mirrors if the box and trailer are not attached. Problem is, you can’t make any money driving around without a box full of junk in the back.
prcguy

NeFire242

Premium Subscriber
No the whole idea behind the dual whip thing is that it looks really cool. Nothing more.

buffalogoat

DITTO what johnvassel said! 2 antennas properly "co-phased" will improve both transmit & receive performance!!! The reason it's not very practical for anything but a big rig is because the proper antenna separation for best performance is'nt possible on most mobile applications. And as far as kb2vxa's comments are concerned.... I guess we all can't be superior ham's like yourself!

kingpin

Trailer Park Supervisor
NeFire242 said:
No the whole idea behind the dual whip thing is that it looks really cool. Nothing more.

They look even cooler when drivers angle them forward 45 degrees. I think, like adding vinyl decals to your car, adds horsepower :)

buffalogoat

Some rigs have their antennas "bull horned" to reduce the overall height of the antennas a little to prevent damage. NOT because it looks cool!

N

N_Jay

buffalogoat said:
Some rigs have their antennas "bull horned" to reduce the overall height of the antennas a little to prevent damage. NOT because it looks cool!

That way the stand up strait at 90 MPH.

Status
Not open for further replies.