Dual Yagi setup advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ronnierozier2

Premium Subscriber
Hello all,

I need to see if someone could suggest a proper setup for what im trying to accomplish. Please be gental cause all this is new to me.

I live in a small delta town in the Middle of Mississippi. I recently purchased a SDS100 and after programming I did not hear a thing. Come to find out I have no signal on my front porch or anywhere in my yard. After some research I found there are 2 towers one South West and one East of my location somewhere around 17-20 miles away. What I did was gather some equipment from my work and started testing. ?What i did was take a 5' Yagi turned to somewhere in the 900mhz spectrum and some LMR400 cable and set this up pointing East towards one of the sites and now able to get 5 bars on my sds100. I turned the antenna towards the other tower with the same result.

I tried this same test with a 9dbi gain omni directional antenna with results that were not optimal. The Yagi is clearly the winner in this situation. So now to my question. What do I need to take 2 of the exactly same Yagi antennas and point one south west and one east to pickup both antenna sites and bring them down on a single coax?

I would like to know what i need to take the two yagi's and bring them down on a single coax. I know just enough that I need some type of combiner or something like that so the signal wont come in on one antenna and go out of the other.

Any suggestions? please advise

Ubbe

If you use a combiner, and you can use a $5 CATV splitter, you will loose a little bit more than 3dB from the antennas. If you have 5 bars it would probably still work. You can look at the RSSI signal strength in dBm to see how much 3dB are. Being a 75 ohm CATV splitter it will add an additional 0,5dB loss, if the antenna are 50 ohm, plus 0,5dB internal losses. If you now have -85dBm or stronger signal then no problem.

/Ubbe

prcguy

If you take two identical Yagi's and point them the same direction and put them the perfect spacing apart and with a proper phasing harness or power divider you can get up to 3dB more gain and a slightly narrower radiation pattern. Point the same two Yagi's different directions where a signal cant be received equally on both Yagi's and you will loose at least 3dB or 50% signal level into each Yagi due to splitter or power divider loss.

A 5ft long Yagi at 900MHz is a lot of gain and I have a 6ft version with 17dBi gain so a 5ft would be close like 15-16dBi. I suspect the advertised gain on your omni might be misleading and it takes a vertical a good 8 to 9ft tall to get 9-10dBi gain. How tall is yours? I would think an 8-9ft vertical might pick up both directions you need.

Ronnierozier2

Premium Subscriber
If you take two identical Yagi's and point them the same direction and put them the perfect spacing apart and with a proper phasing harness or power divider you can get up to 3dB more gain and a slightly narrower radiation pattern. Point the same two Yagi's different directions where a signal cant be received equally on both Yagi's and you will loose at least 3dB or 50% signal level into each Yagi due to splitter or power divider loss.

A 5ft long Yagi at 900MHz is a lot of gain and I have a 6ft version with 17dBi gain so a 5ft would be close like 15-16dBi. I suspect the advertised gain on your omni might be misleading and it takes a vertical a good 8 to 9ft tall to get 9-10dBi gain. How tall is yours? I would think an 8-9ft vertical might pick up both directions you need.

right now I have the temporary setup and it’s about 12’ off the ground. Once I figure out what I need I will be able to get it about 40’ from the ground

Status
Not open for further replies.