Dublin/COIRS P25 on pro2096

Status
Not open for further replies.

guttapercha

Hey Central Ohio scannists,

The reception of this system on my RS pro2096 really stinks, and I practically live in Dublin. The audio drops out constantly, but it's obvious that the system is locking on to the relevant talkgroups.

My 2096 is still using the V1.0 firmware - might that make a difference? Otherwise, I have no trouble with MARCS and certainly none with analog.

Thanks,

JD

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin
Hey Central Ohio scannists,

The reception of this system on my RS pro2096 really stinks, and I practically live in Dublin. The audio drops out constantly, but it's obvious that the system is locking on to the relevant talkgroups.

My 2096 is still using the V1.0 firmware - might that make a difference? Otherwise, I have no trouble with MARCS and certainly none with analog.

You're probably experiencing the issue common when monitoring Motorola P25 simulcast systems. When receiving more than one site at once, exactly what you describe occurs.

The only solution is to cut back on incoming signal so you're receiving only one tower site; try turning on the attenuator, and if that doesn't work, try taking the antenna off.

guttapercha

You're probably experiencing the issue common when monitoring Motorola P25 simulcast systems. When receiving more than one site at once, exactly what you describe occurs.

The only solution is to cut back on incoming signal so you're receiving only one tower site; try turning on the attenuator, and if that doesn't work, try taking the antenna off.

Thanks, Tom. I've tried that to no avail. I'll try the no antenna option to see if that diagnoses the problem. If it does, I might consider building an attenuator box. Interestingly, when I monitor the Delaware side of the system while driving in the Powell area, it's decent 80% of the time. Perhaps in that geographic area, I'm only receiving one tower of that side of the system.

Thanks again,

JD

SlyFerret

If you haven't already, try turning on "supertrack" for the COIRS system.

The way you describe your problem, it sounds similar to what I experienced when I first programmed the system into my new Pro-106 last week. Supertrack did the trick for me.

-SF

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin
If you haven't already, try turning on "supertrack" for the COIRS system.

The way you describe your problem, it sounds similar to what I experienced when I first programmed the system into my new Pro-106 last week. Supertrack did the trick for me.

Huh, learn something new every day.... that's a feature I haven't even played with yet. Of course, south of Columbus the simulcast issue isn't an issue, and most of the time I monitor the system with an EFJ 5100 or an XTL5000, but I'll have to give Supertrack a try.

guttapercha

Shoot, I just realized that the scanner model in the OP may not have the supertrack feature.
-SF

Unfortunately, the 2096 doesn't have that feature. I still can't get solid audio, even when I have no antenna on the NMO. I'll try upgrading the firmware this week.

As far as programming the sites as different systems, I think I'm already doing that. I have the Dublin control channel in one bank and the the Delaware in another. If there is something else that I should try, I'm all ears.

16b

Premium Subscriber
I have never had any luck getting reliable decoding on that system, and I live about two miles from one of the simulcast towers (on the Delaware site). One scanner (a PRO-197 with SuperTrack turned on) sort of works, but not well enough for me to be able to tolerate listening to it. The other scanner (a Uniden BCD396T with latest firmware) isn't even worth trying to use unless I'm mobile or at some other location. I've taken the antenna off, used step attenuators, and I even have an 800MHz yagi pointed right at the tower. I don't get any better reception on the Dublin/Worthington site, either. Unfortunately it seems that some locations are just bad. Not sure what to tell you other than that you're not alone...

guttapercha

I have never had any luck getting reliable decoding on that system, and I live about two miles from one of the simulcast towers (on the Delaware site). One scanner (a PRO-197 with SuperTrack turned on) sort of works, but not well enough for me to be able to tolerate listening to it. The other scanner (a Uniden BCD396T with latest firmware) isn't even worth trying to use unless I'm mobile or at some other location. I've taken the antenna off, used step attenuators, and I even have an 800MHz yagi pointed right at the tower. I don't get any better reception on the Dublin/Worthington site, either. Unfortunately it seems that some locations are just bad. Not sure what to tell you other than that you're not alone...

Thanks for the post. You probably just saved me hours of my time and dollars poorly spent. It seems like the system became more problematic in the past year. When they initially switched to P25, I remember hearing things more clearly. Is it possible to use a real radio to monitor the system without becoming a subscriber? Perhaps someone who receives the system decently might make an online site....

W8RMH

Feed Provider Since 2012
Thanks for the post. You probably just saved me hours of my time and dollars poorly spent. It seems like the system became more problematic in the past year. When they initially switched to P25, I remember hearing things more clearly. Is it possible to use a real radio to monitor the system without becoming a subscriber? Perhaps someone who receives the system decently might make an online site....

Delaware County Fire and EMS Live Scanner Audio Feed

Northwest Franklin County Fire/EMS Live Scanner Audio Feed

guttapercha

Less and less LE feeds these days. Encryption is getting so popular, I don't know why they let people feed LE tactical channels. RR should enforce the TOS.
I am happy with dispatch only, but it is making the LE community a little paranoid.

Indeed. I would be happy with dispatch only as well. There's no justice that the cellphone apps are what are contributing to what will be the justification for the ultimate demise of our hobby.

guttapercha

Interesting follow-up. In the same exact location:

My Pro-96 handheld does almost 100%, but the 2096 = zippo. Both scanners have DSP 1.3. I swapped handheld antenna onto the mobile, and still the reception is lousy. I think that the 2096 must just be a dud. When I switch to "man", the Pro-96 decodes 80-96%, but the 2096 gets 40% at best.

I wonder how the current generation RS scanner would do in the same location.

Status
Not open for further replies.