DuComm Encryption coming?

Status
Not open for further replies.

N9JIG

Sheriff
From a reliable source:

Received word that possibly by the end of 2021, when legacy radios are being replaced, new models may be programmed to encryption for all talk groups, including primary dispatch. This would be for all police dispatch, secondary, and tactical, and surveillance talk groups. Fire wouldn’t be encrypted on Star-Comm 21 since the simulcast transmissions would remain in the clear on VHF.
Not sure if ACDC would follow along the same lines with total encryption, but I would bet they do also about the same time frame when radios are being replaced.
Hard to come to grips that Star-Comm 21 is 10 years old, and APX7000’s are coming to end of life.
So much for transparency.

Awesomeman92

Premium Subscriber
If you go back through meeting minutes the police chiefs want it for all the reasons you'd expect them to after what happened in May. I can't remember the exact meeting but it was either June or July that I first read about it.

officerdave

Retired LEO
My bet would be IF encryption comes , it will be throughout the DuPage system. I have seen inside reference to conversations, about FIRE considering encrypt as well. No mention of interops with mutual aid agencies not on DEDIRS. Time will tell, but my guess is encryption will become the rule rather than the exception.

FFPM571

Premium Subscriber
Fire wont be encrypted with the patch in place it makes no sense also with other towns coming in mutual aid from non ducomm towns that need to operate on their channels. Unless they plan on giving every mutual aid town a radio or two, three. NWCD has not chosen to encrypt fire though the PD has been since the beginning

ILjim

Premium Subscriber
Can't say that I'm surprised. Last year, MCD (Harwood Heights, Norridge, and Schiller Park), McLean Co, and Macon Co law enforcement went ENC after years of being in the clear. I take no confort in making predictions like this, but watch for more agencies that are or have been in clear for a while all the sudden make "the move" to full ENC (OLREC in the Oak Lawn area and Lake Co IN come to mind).

Awesomeman92

Premium Subscriber
Can you elaborate on what you mean by "what happened in May"?
The issues Chicago had with jamming followed by the WGN story claiming not being encrypted was the problem. Kane County has cited that report as a reason for it as well.

officerdave

Retired LEO
Fire wont be encrypted with the patch in place it makes no sense also with other towns coming in mutual aid from non ducomm towns that need to operate on their channels. Unless they plan on giving every mutual aid town a radio or two, three. NWCD has not chosen to encrypt fire though the PD has been since the beginning
I agree , just a comment by a Fire Chief " if PD goes encrypt , then Fire might consider it "

ILjim

Premium Subscriber
The issues Chicago had with jamming followed by the WGN story claiming not being encrypted was the problem. Kane County has cited that report as a reason for it as well.
Thought so, I just wasn't sure at first. Anyhow, I think it's time for WGN to give up their scanners since they're now on the side of the Big E.

Chicago2210

With calls of defund/disband the Police growing louder every day, I think it would behoove Law Enforcement agencies to unencrypt and it may help get people back on there side. I can tell you where I live a mayoral candidate has already expressed concern about this.

MidwestRadioListener

Premium Subscriber
No offense but as usual the decision makers are either politicians or people with a lot of brass but zero knowledge of technology. Too bad they don't realize that having open and clear communications gives some transparency and reserve the encryption for those more special situations. Interoperability is also much easier when everything is not encrypted.

W9WSS

Retired LEO
Premium Subscriber
I heard from a reliable source that DU-COMM and ACDC would not be totally encrypting all talk groups as previously mentioned "at the end of 2021." If anything, it could happen at the end of 2022, but you never know when some issue such as malicious interference, or "fake" calls start up on the non-encrypted talk groups. Then it could change, but all portable and mobile units would have to be programmed before any kind of "total" encryption takes place. At least that's what my source informed me.

officerdave

Retired LEO
Encryption is not only to " prevent " jamming but with today's anti cop climate , to prevent the village idiots from interfering/showing up on calls.
True hobbyists are not the issue, but unfortunately others with ill intent , can get ahold of radios that are on our systems. Encryption is here to stay folks .

Reactions: JKD

W9WSS

Retired LEO
Premium Subscriber
Since DU-COMM supplies SC21 radios to all DU-PAGE (radios purchased through the DuPage ETSB) entities (mainly to ACDC) with some exceptions, i.e., Naperville, Aurora, etc., the order for new radios is in process. One unconfirmed report was for APX-NEXT, the other is for APX-4000 and mobiles APX-8500. Confirmed information is that before they are deployed and put into service, encryption will be active (except for fire services in their public safety entities), and encryption will be activated upon deployment, most likely during Q3/Q4 of 2022.

officerdave

Retired LEO
Since DU-COMM supplies SC21 radios to all DU-PAGE (radios purchased through the DuPage ETSB) entities (mainly to ACDC) with some exceptions, i.e., Naperville, Aurora, etc., the order for new radios is in process. One unconfirmed report was for APX-NEXT, the other is for APX-4000 and mobiles APX-8500. Confirmed information is that before they are deployed and put into service, encryption will be active (except for fire services in their public safety entities), and encryption will be activated upon deployment, most likely during Q3/Q4 of 2022.
My monies on: APX Next for PD officers, 4000s for CSOs, APX NEXT XNs for fire. I saw mention of 4500s and 8500s depending on the application. Regardless, 256 AES is coming , with approximately an 18 month timeline for completion.

werinshades

Premium Subscriber
What is the reason for the encryption that's being given? Are there rogue radios playing music or other interference with the DuPage area talk groups?

Status
Not open for further replies.