DuComm Encryption coming?

Status
Not open for further replies.

FFPM571

Premium Subscriber
Sources tell me that the APX 7500 mobiles and APX7000 are EOL and being replaced by 8500 mobile and 8000 handhelds The NEXT may be used in command role but not by rank and file ... No E on Fire and the jury is still out on E on the PD dispatch channels but for sure on all tac

FFPM571

Premium Subscriber
What is the reason for the encryption that's being given? Are there rogue radios playing music or other interference with the DuPage area talk groups?
Its quite a bit harder to get a rouge radio on Starcom as you well know. It's not chicago where you can put a Bowelfeng on the Zone and play games

werinshades

Premium Subscriber
Its quite a bit harder to get a rouge radio on Starcom as you well know. It's not Chicago where you can put a Bowelfeng on the Zone and play games

Yes I know, and since CFD went to a digital system, the rogue transmissions disappeared. Since it's very secure, is there an officer safety issue that occurred that didn't receive much attention in the media? A lot of traffic stops being made and scanners in the vehicles? Are you guys causing trouble out there? :LOL:

W9WSS

Retired LEO
Premium Subscriber
DuPage ETSB ordered a myriad of radios. APX Next, APX 8000's, some APX 6000's, APX 4000's, and either 4500 or 6500 portables which are strictly 700-800 MHz. Mobiles will be APX 8500's. One thing is for certain; Once they are all programmed, when the big switchover takes place, all law enforcement talk groups will be encrypted, including dispatch, surveillance, individual towns' squawk channels, etc. The Fire subscribers will have access to certain law enforcement talk groups so that they can communicate with their local police, and inversely, the law enforcement entities will be able to communicate with fire services in the clear.

This is something the Chiefs of Police wanted, so DU-COMM is complying with their programming requests. In case you didn't know, DU-COMM programs all the APX radios for DuPage towns, villages, cities, and Fire districts including the ACDC dispatched towns. DuPage ETSB does not service the DuPage sections of Naperville and Aurora, hence, they obtain their own radios.

Shot in the dark guesstimate activation should be Q2 or Q3 of 2022. I learned that the ETSB approved the purchase order of $36 million dollars which includes the respective units' airtime.

Photos below: APX Next (which will most likely be carried by certain law enforcement possibly command and ranking officials; Next pair are the APX Next XE for the fire services.
APX Next 112421-02.jpgAPX Next XE 112421-01.jpg

W9WSS

Retired LEO
Premium Subscriber
Because the Chiefs of Police for the DU-COMM and ACDC entities request that it be permanently deployed on all law enforcement agencies' talk groups with the exception of Fire/EMS systems.

Fire personnel will have the capability to dial into the law enforcement agencies, and vice-versa.

From reliable sources, I heard that a purchase order for $36 million dollars was approved by the DuPage County ETSB which supplies, programs, and services all portable & mobile radios.

DU-COMM and ACDC have taken over most of the other radio systems of their customers, such as public works, and other municipalities. Of course, there are some exceptions.

I said the same thing (not verbatim) in my response I left at 11:38 hours last evening:

" This is something the Chiefs of Police wanted, so DU-COMM is complying with their programming requests. In case you didn't know, DU-COMM programs all the APX radios for DuPage towns, villages, cities, and Fire districts including the ACDC dispatched towns. DuPage ETSB does not service the DuPage sections of Naperville and Aurora, hence, they obtain their own radios."

werinshades

Premium Subscriber
Because the Chiefs of Police for the DU-COMM and ACDC entities request that it be permanently deployed on all law enforcement agencies' talk groups with the exception of Fire/EMS systems.

Yes I read that, but their must be a reason given by the chiefs for this encryption deployment? I understand Chicago's issues, but not in DuPage County.

W9WSS

Retired LEO
Premium Subscriber
That's the information I received from my reliable source. They didn't provide any other reasons other than "that's what they wanted." Sadly, speaking to patrol officers from various towns and villages, they too were glad to be going encrypted. I spoke with approximately 10 full-time sworn officers, and they are looking forward to it.

Kind of a funny (not haha, but peculiar) story. A few years ago, one of my previous colleagues at the police agency where I retired from in 2006, bought a Uniden SDS-200. I programmed it for him, and he even had an outside antenna for optimum signals. Shortly after he got his SDS-200, Bolingbrook PD went encrypted, and our former agency (dispatched by DU-COMM) will also be going on the encrypted bandwagon.

As the current moderator/Co-Director of CARMA, I'm certainly not happy, and of course, with those CARMA members who have voiced their opinions about the upcoming encryption on all police talk groups, it's certainly NOT something we're looking towards.

FFPM571

Premium Subscriber
Yes I read that, but their must be a reason given by the chiefs for this encryption deployment? I understand Chicago's issues, but not in DuPage County.
What reason did Lake county give? NWCD? Cook Co? any other regional dispatch.. Officer safety and now Scanner app's You could have what I have as here in Nashville/Davidson county and surrounding areas are 100% Encrypted Police fire and municipal services. The only two counties that are still analog VHF and some UHF will be transitioning to a NXDN system early next year and that is also going to go dark. Encryption is not an expensive option anymore. Its a mouse click on software with a properly provisioned radio.

Status
Not open for further replies.