Ducting from VA and NC

Status
Not open for further replies.

evan

Database Admin
One of the City of Columbia repeaters is passing traffic tonight from Virginia and North Carolina.

Output: 156.24, 173.8 PL
Input: 159.00, unknown PL

I am hearing Virginia State Police out of Richmond.

I am also hearing what sounds like Raleigh FD dispatch. I have heard two dispatches by an automated (computer) voice that gives the call type, location, etc. Both were located in the city of Raleigh. The info in the database doesn't seem to match the input of this repeater though.

Caesar

Premium Subscriber
One of the City of Columbia repeaters is passing traffic tonight from Virginia and North Carolina.

Output: 156.24, 173.8 PL
Input: 159.00, unknown PL

I am hearing Virginia State Police out of Richmond.

I am also hearing what sounds like Raleigh FD dispatch. I have heard two dispatches by an automated (computer) voice that gives the call type, location, etc. Both were located in the city of Raleigh. The info in the database doesn't seem to match the input of this repeater though.

Yes, they are truly a pain when at work and having to listen to them continuously go off till almost 10am! but on the slow nights it is sort of interesting to hear...

rescuecomm

I was hearing an agency near full strength on 154.845 (former Easley PD dispatch) on Aug 21 while coming to work. Definitely some interesting signals.

Bob

SCPD

QRT
Yes, they are truly a pain when at work and having to listen to them continuously go off till almost 10am! but on the slow nights it is sort of interesting to hear...

That's why I recommend that FD's add a channel with Quick Call signaling set to "AND". This would allow you to sleep at night, until the correct QC signal is sent, then the audio opens up for you. What little sleep a firefighter gets needs to be good sleep and having constant audio/static does not aide in quality sleep. Poor quality sleep leads to carelessness, poor performance, and other issues.

jeffmulter

Fort Mill, S.C. (just south of Charlotte, N.C.)
Evan - the input tone on the City of Columbia repeater is carrier squelch ... which is why you often hear multiple agencies rebroadcasting through the repeater.

There are potentially 3 VSP channels you can hear - one each for the Richmond, Wytheville and Salem dispatch centers. Richmmond is heard here the most often, and Salem is the rarest here. They regularly use their callsigns, which allows you to determine which center you're hearing (even if you don't know the geography).

The Columbia repeater also rebroadcasts some of the Wake Co, N.C. fire / medical assistance dispatches, as well as a couple of other agencies.

VSP Fairfax was pretty active via the DNR chan 5 / Newberry site this past week, also.

Status
Not open for further replies.