Duke Energy - Charlotte

Status
Not open for further replies.

kg4pbd

With the recent increase in tstorms I've been trying to monitor the Duke Energy TRS. There are quite a few talkgroups active however it's difficult to pin down what is what. I'll list what I have so far but I'm interested in anyone with more/better information on this system (I'll list the talkgroups in order of amount of traffic heard). There is only one talkgroup listed in the database which I had heard traffic on before but it's quiet now.

16384 - The busiest, sounds like a dispatch to repair trucks.
49152 - Also busy, and also sounds like dispatch to repair trucks.
12288 - Another sounds like dispatch.
8192 - misc traffic
10464 - misc traffic

I've copied misc. traffic on a bunch of other talkgroups also. It sounds like some talkgroups are mobile to base while base talks back on another talkgroup. Not sure what this is about. I'm not sure where the tower is for this TRS, it's weak in south Charlotte.

bonus1331

Scott,
Which TRS are you referring to?
List the C.C's and I will add to the rados and start monitoring.

As a side note; due to the fine T-storms we've been having in the Charlotte area, my 5 year old $1100 TV is now a giant paperweight.
Had to due to unexpected upgrade route to a Sony 46" Rear Projection LCD.
TV repairman swears the surge went down the sattelite coax.
Picked up one of those Monster surge protectors for $80.00 as well.
Lesson learned.

kg4pbd

Sorry to hear about the tv. I'm pretty lazy about un-plugging during storms, of course that would only work if I'm home at the time. I figure a near strike will knock out everything regardless of surge protectors.

I did have a guy in the office a while back who sells whole-house protectors. Very cool, it mounts at the panel and protects from external and internal surges. I think the price was around $750 installed which is pretty reasonable. I'll have to dig up the information on that. Of course even with that you would still have to protect your satellite in.

The system I'm talking about is Sysid 272d, Duke Energy Charlotte. It's in the database but no talkgroups.

From a bit more listening I have determined that 12288 is repairs in the south part of the county. They were discussing a repair along McKee Rd. 49152 was being used for work up around University. Signal strength on a portable with a duck is only 1-2 bars here. I'd like to get the system mapped out enough to where I can go to what I want when we have storms. Let me know if you get any further along with it.

Thanks,

blinddog50

DAVID,
Your repairman was right.
Lightning and static discharge can and will travel down your coax.
I had a lightning surge travel down my cable coax and fry one of my desktops.
The computer has been repaired but Time Warner is STILL trying to get me to 100 times faster than dial-up.
It's been 3 months.
A surge protector may help you survive a static discharge but a surge from a lightning strike, you're talking upwards to 100,000 volts.
The only thing that can help you then is the fire dept. and a good insurance man.

bonus1331

I wasn't home at the time of the storm on Monday but my 13 year old was. She doesn't rattle easy and she was calling me, asking what it meant when the thunder and lightning happen at the same time!
PC was on at the time, and had no affect.
It killed the TV and blew the Directv multisplitter.
Hey, it could have killed the AC and then we would have been bored AND sweating.
The TV sales guy at the Circuit City in Matthews said he had 5 people in yesterday along with me who said they were buying new TV's because of the storm.

Scott,
I have loaded the Duke TRS in and will monitor.
It states in the database that it's a Type II hybrid, is this incorrect?

jeffmulter

Fort Mill, S.C. (just south of Charlotte, N.C.)
Two thoughts ...

The Duke site mentioned on RR lists 9 frequencies, but the site license lists 12.

Besides the site mentioned on RR, which is located on Hood Road, I count 6 other Duke Energy trunked sites in Mecklenberg County,

Here's a little breakdown, by callsign, of Charlotte-area locations. Keep in mind there are often about 5 locations under each callsign:

WNAJ727 - Lancaster County
WNPW329 - Mecklenberg County (Hood Road)
WNPW330 - Gaston County
WNPW331 - Catawba County, Cleveland County
WNSK751 - Stanly County, Chester County
WNSK755 - Mecklenberg County, Caldwell County
WNSK759 - Lincoln County, Union County (NC)
WNSS385 - York County (Clover)
WPFX890 - Mecklenberg County
WPZS940 - Cabarrus County
WPZS946 - Mecklenberg County (2 sites), Iredell County (Statesville)
WPZT872 - Mecklenberg County (Matthews), Gaston County (Belmont)
WPZT874 - York County (Fort Mill), Gaston County (Dallas)
WPZT876 - Mecklenberg County, York County (Rock Hill)

kg4pbd

Thanks for the call signs Jeff. I put together a list of the freqs under those calls, with tx's in Mecklenburg county. I'm going to start searching through them to see if I can find anything. One site is listed as Mathews but I don't know if that means the transmitter is there.

I just noticed something in the 272d system on the database. 856.0875 is listed twice so actually there are only 8 freqs shown.

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
kg4pbd said:
I just noticed something in the 272d system on the database. 856.0875 is listed twice so actually there are only 8 freqs shown.

I made the correction..please submit any other updates/corrections you come across with kg4pbd...thanks!

kg4pbd

I'm still trying to compile talkgroups on this system. Base is called "response" and there are multiple "response" talkgroups. They sound as if they are grouped geographically.

In the meantime I'm confused about something. There seems to be "Response" talk-out talkgroups and mobile talk-back talkgroups. You have to monitor both talkgroups in the group to hear both sides of the conversation. Why would a system have separate talkgroups for base to mobile and mobile to base? It is a trunked version of full duplex?

Also, as far as the frequencies listed in the database, the only frequencies I've logged so far on this system are the ones listed. So it may be only an 8 frequency system.

pboy

Might be Motorola Type I instead of Type II.

That would cause TG weirdness.

Baker Mtn. in Catawba County is Type I.

kg4pbd

I haven't had much time to listen lately. Plus we haven't had any storms! I did try running it both as a type 1 and as a type 2 and I didn't see any difference.

bonus1331

I'm logging this TRS while at work today. However, I did monitor alitle before going to bed last night and did notice that this can't be a Type II.
Base will use one TG, but the response from the repair truck is on another TG. This always occurred in the past when the TRS was programmed incorrectly.
I will post the logged TG's tonight when I get home. I currently have the TRS programmed as CC Only and as a Type II.
I would assume that it is a hybrid as stated on the RR database.
Now the question is what is the fleet map?
Never have had luck figuring out what a correct fleet map should be.
Any advice?
FYI-Last night most traffic involved trucks dispatched from the Little Rock Rd. Plant near the airport. I have no problems picking up the TRS on the SE corner of the city. (485 and Lawyers)

pboy

bonus1331 said:
I'm logging this TRS while at work today. However, I did monitor alitle before going to bed last night and did notice that this can't be a Type II.
Base will use one TG, but the response from the repair truck is on another TG. This always occurred in the past when the TRS was programmed incorrectly.
I will post the logged TG's tonight when I get home. I currently have the TRS programmed as CC Only and as a Type II.
I would assume that it is a hybrid as stated on the RR database.
Now the question is what is the fleet map?
Never have had luck figuring out what a correct fleet map should be.
Any advice?
FYI-Last night most traffic involved trucks dispatched from the Little Rock Rd. Plant near the airport. I have no problems picking up the TRS on the SE corner of the city. (485 and Lawyers)
Try Size Code 14 in Block 0. That would make it a pure Type I. Easier starting point than trying to figure hybrid blocks (which you may have to do anyway).

bonus1331

pboy said:
Try Size Code 14 in Block 0. That would make it a pure Type I. Easier starting point than trying to figure hybrid blocks (which you may have to do anyway).

I'm going to have to pull out the old manuals to input the blocks. It's been waaaay to long since I've tried to monitor a Type I!
Pboy,
What about the other blocks. leave them alone?

pboy

bonus1331 said:
I'm going to have to pull out the old manuals to input the blocks. It's been waaaay to long since I've tried to monitor a Type I!
Pboy,
What about the other blocks. leave them alone?
The mapping "uses" up all the programming space. You won't have any options for the other blocks.

It makes for 16 TGs. 1 super size fleet.

Last edited:

kg4pbd

I tried a type 1 with size code 14 in block 0. Now both sides of the transmissions are on the same talkgroup.

Talkgroup 000-03 - Response (dispatch/service trucks) includes the Mathews office.

Talkgroup 000-04 - Response (dispatch/service trucks) included a call somewhere around Sharon Rd (Central/South Charlotte?)

Talkgroup 000-10 - Response (dispatch/service trucks)

KD4YTG

McGuire Nuclear Station

Does any know the frequency for the security at McGuire Nuclear Station?
I worked in security at McGuire 1978-1984. Some of my old friends still work there and I would like to monitor to see if I could hear them. When I worked there McGuire and Catawba Stations used the same frequency. On clear winter nights we could sometimes hear Catawba.

jplyler

Premium Subscriber
I'm not sure what freqs they use for routine comms but I do hear them almost daily on the CMPD North Division talkgroup. They check in around 6:00AM.

Jon

derekjmu

Premium Subscriber
haven't confirmed any of this. maybe some of my N-end listeners can.

McGuire N.S.
451.600 repeater
451.375 repeater
451.650 mobile
451.025 base

Catawba N.S.

Duke Energy Alphapaging
153.635 (but that's not EVEN fun to listen to...)

Status
Not open for further replies.