Duke Energy P25 System

AESFTW

Premium Subscriber
Noticed Duke energy carrying 900mhz APX 4000s yesterday evening. Has anyone heard of updates coming or a possible system upgrade? Seems silly running APX portables on an analog only Smartzone system.

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
Noticed Duke energy carrying 900mhz APX 4000s yesterday evening. Has anyone heard of updates coming or a possible system upgrade? Seems silly running APX portables on an analog only Smartzone system.

In North Carolina, Progress Energy (which is Duke Energy) has a 900 mhz trunked system, as it does across Florida, and they've been using those radios. When you make as much as Duke Energy why not get the best just in case.

MSS-Dave

The APX 4000 are replacing aging MTS2000 which are long past support. The new mobiles are APX as well replacing MCS2000. I am reasonably sure these are the only radios that can be bought and optioned to work on an analog smartzone system on 900 MHz. There is a system change / upgrade coming but it doesn't have anything to do with the APX radios that are being deployed now.

CommsTruck

running apx4000 and apx4500 just because thats all they can get now. like said above there is an upgrade coming but wont be using apx

AESFTW

Premium Subscriber
The APX 4000 are replacing aging MTS2000 which are long past support. The new mobiles are APX as well replacing MCS2000. I am reasonably sure these are the only radios that can be bought and optioned to work on an analog smartzone system on 900 MHz. There is a system change / upgrade coming but it doesn't have anything to do with the APX radios that are being deployed now.

Kind of figured it was due to lack of support. Surprised they never upgraded to XTS-2500s but I guess if the 2000s worked, so be it.

MSS-Dave

I noticed a new pending license for Duke Energy: https://wireless2.fcc.gov/UlsApp/ApplicationSearch/applMain.jsp?applID=11975093&__newWindow=false. There is a VERY interesting attachment to the license that describes the future state of the new system.
Thanks for posting this. Confirms some things that I have been hearing. The slow growth application would be absolutely necessary given the size of this project. Of another interest, the technology is listed as Harris P25, not Harris OpenSky like the system in S.C is currently.

trooper890

The ancient FPC Type II system that was installed around 1998 is going away, replaced with Harris P25 P2.

All the M gear will be gone once the move is completed.

MSS-Dave

Not military spec have quick bug a frequency hopping system
I don't know what that is.

Publically available info linked above ( in the slow growth attachments) shows multiple sites in Florida in the first stage with the common P25 Phase II emission designators. Attached docs show multi state linking via VIDA Connect which is a Harris P25 system protocol. This is not HAVE QUICK. Where did you come up with that from?

Another tidbit. New Florida frequencies applied for are 800 MHz. Not 900 as they are now.

Will be fun to watch this one....lol

reconrider8

If that's true that's awesome. At least we can still monitor lol. Like I say I was told it was going to be some kind of frequency hopping system but seems maybe not the case

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
FWIW, here is a map of Duke Energy 800/900 trunked sites. If anyone looks at this, they will notice that Florida looks a bit different. The "i" icons indicate a license has been updated (additional freqs added to site, emissions modified), and "?" indicates new sites.

Take it for what it is worth. Might not mean anything. But probably suggestive that they will start with the Florida network.

I probably won't keep this map updated forever, but will try to.

MAP: DUKE ENERGY - Google My Maps

Mike

scannerboy02

Premium Subscriber
Looks like Duke Energy is in the process of building out a new P25 Phase II system to cover it's service area across multiple states.

In the documents attached to the applications it appears this will be done over the next 4-5 years and have a total of 423 sites. The recent applications are for the first wave of sites in the project and cover parts of Florida, Indiana and Ohio. According to the documents the equipment for these sites is currently staged and ready for deployment to the tower site pending FCC approval.

I have programmed the frequencies for the sites in my area into a conventional system to monitor for activity, nothing yet.

lwvmobile

DSD-FME
They should all have brand new state of the art radio equipment for how much they charge for electricity every month. That $10.58 "Customer Charge" and "Asset Securitization Charge", they had better be securing some new radio 'assets'. Don't even get me started on those "Taxes" and "Fees".

Attachments

• duke-charges.jpg
    duke-charges.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 84

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
Looks like Duke Energy is in the process of building out a new P25 Phase II system to cover it's service area across multiple states.

In the documents attached to the applications it appears this will be done over the next 4-5 years and have a total of 423 sites. The recent applications are for the first wave of sites in the project and cover parts of Florida, Indiana and Ohio. According to the documents the equipment for these sites is currently staged and ready for deployment to the tower site pending FCC approval.

I have programmed the frequencies for the sites in my area into a conventional system to monitor for activity, nothing yet.

Even before these there were significant changes to existing licenses / modifications to existing licenses. Will likely be an ongoing thing over the course of the multi-year deployment.

It has also been discussed in this thread: Duke Energy Upgrade Coming??

And I have not updated my Google Map in a couple months but will update it this weekend.

M

JDrisc3480

They should all have brand new state of the art radio equipment for how much they charge for electricity every month. That $10.58 "Customer Charge" and "Asset Securitization Charge", they had better be securing some new radio 'assets'. Don't even get me started on those "Taxes" and "Fees".
Don't forget about the constant rate increases