Duluth Lift Bridge Comms

radioboy75

Premium Subscriber
So, I know the Duluth Aerial Lift Bridge talks to incoming and outgoing boats on Marine 16 and Marine 10 for the most part. But I have always wondered -- what happens if there's an emergency on Park Point? First, are there any ambulances or fire trucks stationed on the south side of the lift bridge? If not, do they have to cross the lift bridge to get to Park Point? What if there is an emergency on Park Point and an ambulance needs to cross, but there's a big laker inbound and the bridge needs to lift, or is already up? How difficult would it be for the ship to reverse engines or make a turn and wait for the ambulance or fire truck to cross? (I'm guessing it's very difficult and is probably not done.) Same questions with getting back across with a patient. Does the lift bridge pilot house have any way to contact emergency vehicles or St Louis County? (Like ARMER or something?) If so, what frequency or talkgroup would they use for that? A side question -- I've been in marine areas before where mariners could call the Emergency Center on Channel 16. Use would be something like "St Louis County, St Louis County, St Louis County, this is the Remarkable Thing, Remarkable Thing, Remarkable Thing with emergency traffic on Channel 16, over." Do they do that in the Duluth area? Or would you just call for the Coast Guard Station if you have an emergency?

n0esc

Feed Provider
I can't answer with specifics for up there, but I do have decent knowledge of another Mayo EMS service area. I don't think they keep an ambulance on the point side for anything either. If I had to make an educated guess they would treat the bridge being up in the same manner they treat a train blocking a crossing needed to access a patient. My city is bisected by a moderately busy rail crossing in a manner that makes "going around" take as long or longer than waiting out a passing train, so hearing EMS or fire contact dispatch to report a train delay is a reasonably common occurrence here. If it's something super critical like a confirmed fire or stroke/heart attack they will send a crew the long way around just to try and get there as quick as possible, but it usually takes about the same amount of time.

And truth be told from raise to lower, I don't think the blockage would be any longer than a decent sized train. Certainly could be enough to affect an outcome of a true emergency, but I think it's just a known consideration for living out there.

It wouldn't surprise me if there was some type of mutual aid agreement with the CG or even the Army medical wing out there if it were something longer term than a typical ship crossing taking the bridge out of service longer.

radioboy75

Premium Subscriber
I can't answer with specifics for up there, but I do have decent knowledge of another Mayo EMS service area. I don't think they keep an ambulance on the point side for anything either. If I had to make an educated guess they would treat the bridge being up in the same manner they treat a train blocking a crossing needed to access a patient. My city is bisected by a moderately busy rail crossing in a manner that makes "going around" take as long or longer than waiting out a passing train, so hearing EMS or fire contact dispatch to report a train delay is a reasonably common occurrence here. If it's something super critical like a confirmed fire or stroke/heart attack they will send a crew the long way around just to try and get there as quick as possible, but it usually takes about the same amount of time.

And truth be told from raise to lower, I don't think the blockage would be any longer than a decent sized train. Certainly could be enough to affect an outcome of a true emergency, but I think it's just a known consideration for living out there.

It wouldn't surprise me if there was some type of mutual aid agreement with the CG or even the Army medical wing out there if it were something longer term than a typical ship crossing taking the bridge out of service longer.
You mentioned Mayo and that reminds me, Duluth is the base for a Mayo helicopter -- and there's an airport on the island. Perhaps they could fly in and out if need be. Also, the thought just crosses my mind -- they have emergency boats. They could also launch one of those and treat it like a water rescue. And like you said the Coast Guard could also respond. Their base is also on the island. I watched a video today and it said that often the lift bridge is up for 15 minutes or more, so it's a little longer than a train delay.

phask

Premium Subscriber
I've watched many videos of the area, and I seem to recall one where they held the ship for an emergency. I doubt they could stop in time once they have entered the canal.
FWIW - I've been there, several times, crossed the bridge and also took the tour boat, highly recommended,

n0esc

Feed Provider
You mentioned Mayo and that reminds me, Duluth is the base for a Mayo helicopter -- and there's an airport on the island. Perhaps they could fly in and out if need be. Also, the thought just crosses my mind -- they have emergency boats. They could also launch one of those and treat it like a water rescue. And like you said the Coast Guard could also respond. Their base is also on the island. I watched a video today and it said that often the lift bridge is up for 15 minutes or more, so it's a little longer than a train delay.
Mayo doesn't have a heli in Duluth. They just have the ground ambulance service. Mayos helis are in Mankato, Rochester, and Eau Claire. I believe Duluth is LifeLink III which is a network of hospitals that support their service.

That said, they wouldn't need an airport to land by any means, they can land at a scene, but without any first response on the point, wouldn't have a way to get a patient to the helicopter at the airport either or properly secure a landing zone outside of the airport. Also while faster in flight, the time it takes to do a weather check, flight safety briefing and get a ship in the air is probably much longer than the time the bridge would be up.

The helicopters don't so much save you time from point A to B until much longer distances. What they do offer is a much higher level of care and equipment than an ambulance has. Up on the arrowhead where that matters most is reaching people out on the BWCA or Superior Forest where a ground transport out could take hours.

citiot

ʇoᴉʇᴉɔ
Premium Subscriber
A little off topic. I went to college in Duluth and was heavily involved in music.

Occasionally, a group of trombone and trumpet players would, after a bit of overindulgence, would wear all black and camouflage with the horns, and sneak near the bridge.

They’d play a well practiced Morse code “C” (long, short, long, short) at the bridge hut.

This is the signal vessels would play to request the bridge to raise.

It only worked once. The celebration among the talented musicians was a triumph of a lifetime.

radioboy75

Premium Subscriber
A little off topic. I went to college in Duluth and was heavily involved in music.

Occasionally, a group of trombone and trumpet players would, after a bit of overindulgence, would wear all black and camouflage with the horns, and sneak near the bridge.

They’d play a well practiced Morse code “C” (long, short, long, short) at the bridge hut.

This is the signal vessels would play to request the bridge to raise.

It only worked once. The celebration among the talented musicians was a triumph of a lifetime.
Interesting! I have never heard a lift request by horn. (pun intended!) They're all on marine radio now as far as I know.

That reminds me of another question I've always had about the lift bridge. I know the ships have horns ("whistles") for safety reasons -- to signal other ships, to let other ships know they are there in the fog, etc. But what is the lift bridge's horn(s) really for? Sure, they use it to return a salute to the ships, but I've never heard it blown for any other purpose. Is it actually there for some sort of safety reason too?

citiot

ʇoᴉʇᴉɔ
Premium Subscriber
@radioboy75 It was a long time ago. It was tried maybe ten times with only that success. Maybe the operator threw the drunkards a bone. Dunno.