• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Dumb antenna/scanner question

Status
Not open for further replies.

cpsTN

My scanner (PRO-164), like many others, receives the 40 CB channels. Although the interstate (I-24) is only about a mile from my home and I can hear the traffic FROM my home, I can't seem to pick up much at all. I am thinking of buying a small CB antenna and using it with the scanner when I am scanning these freqs. Could this be the scanner, using a rubber duck antenna, or is there a decent chance there is not much in my area to hear? I am listening in Rutherford County, Tennessee, just outside the town of Smyrna, about 10 miles from the outskirts of Nashville.

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
My scanner (PRO-164), like many others, receives the 40 CB channels. Although the interstate (I-24) is only about a mile from my home and I can hear the traffic FROM my home, I can't seem to pick up much at all. I am thinking of buying a small CB antenna and using it with the scanner when I am scanning these freqs. Could this be the scanner, using a rubber duck antenna, or is there a decent chance there is not much in my area to hear? I am listening in Rutherford County, Tennessee, just outside the town of Smyrna, about 10 miles from the outskirts of Nashville.

Due to better choices for two way radios,it could be that cb traffic in your area is lighter than others.
It's probably not any fault of yours. :)
n9zas

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
Antenna is everything. CB, 11 meters, is a fairly long antenna. The stock rubber duck antenna is a compromise across all the frequencies the scanner can receive.

One of the agencies I focus on listening to is CHP, which are on low band VHF. There's a HUGE difference in reception between the stock rubber antenna and an external antenna designed for that band.

canav844

A proper antenna will make all the difference. Holds true to just about anything radio that I've experienced. The Scanner won't be great and I'd rather tie up a $30 CB from walmart or the local truck stop to listen to CB regularly, but once in a while I throw the scanner on the CB bands. CH19 and CH6 is where I've found activity on the band 99% of it's on 19 though.

CalebATC

I remember I was on the way to NC one time and their was a traffic jam, the only truckers I heard were the ones about right next to me. If you don't have to turn the squelch down from the transition to a UHF freq, its the antenna. In other words, 11 meters has a lot more noise than about 80 MHz up.

Time to string up some wire for a 11 meter dipole. Or, just get a CB antenna, which will cost you a lot more.

CalebATC

I remember doing that many years ago. I had forgotten about that solution - and if it doesnt work, what have a lost, right? Thank You all.

You haven't lost anything except for a couple of inches of wire, a couple inches of coax, and about 3" of pipe- just make sure you hang it vertically.

just do 468/center frequency

Sorry if it is a little messy, but if your not familiar with a dipole, theirs some guidance. Just Google dipole for CB, I'm sure you will get more than needed.

Attachments

• dipole.jpg
    dipole.jpg
    16.4 KB · Views: 715

mdickerson17

I remember I was on the way to NC one time and their was a traffic jam, the only truckers I heard were the ones about right next to me. If you don't have to turn the squelch down from the transition to a UHF freq, its the antenna. In other words, 11 meters has a lot more noise than about 80 MHz up.

Time to string up some wire for a 11 meter dipole. Or, just get a CB antenna, which will cost you a lot more.

That was the same for me stuck in a traffic jam here in vegas, I could literally see the truckers talking on the cb but couldn't hear anything till I was right next to them. The rubber duck just doesn't like the low freq's! Funny I came across this thread though, my uncle just gave me his old cb a couple days ago......LOL

Zagadka

I might suggest that you find a friend with a CB to take you out on "the boulevard" and see if there's much if any traffic to actually hear before you spend any effort or money. Like you, I have a 164 and I put a RS scanner antenna on the trunk and scanned the CB band on a trip of 120 miles on I-40. I heard almost nothing. Then I dug out some old CB handhelds and hooked them up with a trunk mount antenna and listened on a 5 hour trip to DC on I-95 - again, almost nothing until we got within 5 miles or so of a truck stop or a traffic jam.

My recollecion from back in the day is that CB was pretty busy but such isn't necessarily the case any more. YMMV

Status
Not open for further replies.