DuPage County Sheriff going to ACDC for dispatch services

Status
Not open for further replies.

officerdave

Retired LEO
Have heard from various sources , the DuPage County Sheriff , is planning on going to ACDC ( Addison ) for their dispatch services. Would eliminate DuPage's own dispatch , they have had for many , many years. Not clear if its a rumor or its in the works .

Kanecoradio22

I have a problem monitoring any of the DuPage Sherif’s Starcom talk groups. My QTH is in Elgin and I’m able to copy any of DuPage‘s other talkgroups with my Trx1 and 2 Including all of the ACDC, but not the sheriff. Any ideas why I’m not hearing TGs 2619, 2620 or 2628?

werinshades

Premium Subscriber
I have a problem monitoring any of the DuPage Sherif’s Starcom talk groups. My QTH is in Elgin and I’m able to copy any of DuPage‘s other talkgroups with my Trx1 and 2 Including all of the ACDC, but not the sheriff. Any ideas why I’m not hearing TGs 2619, 2620 or 2628?

Those talkgroups are Phase 2 which the TRX-1 & 2 don't support.

RBMTS

Plus if you are listening to the Kane County simulcast site, none of the DCS units are probably affiliating onto that site. I haven't tested that theory but it is plausible.

JD21960

Premium Subscriber
TRX-1 and 2 do get Phase II ... even my old WS1080 does *IF you have a Yagi. Those radios are terrible for P25 Digital simulcast, especially phase II as you all know. Unication G5 pager gets all of DuPage Co fun in perfectly. I haven't heard any chatter about the alleged move. Sounds good to me though, I get ACDC-FIRE 2 solid up here in Crook Co by Schaumburg IL

Last edited by a moderator:

werinshades

Premium Subscriber
TRX-1 and 2 do get Phase II ... even my old WS1080 does *IF you have a Yagi. Those radios are terrible for P25 Digital simulcast as you all know. Unication G5 pager gets all of DuPage Co fun in perfectly. I haven't heard any chatter about the alleged move. Sounds good to me though, I get ACDC-FIRE 2 solid.

It's showing as D..which is Phase 1.

JD21960

Premium Subscriber
I see two with Phase II (T) and one (D) yes, the ones he mentioned not being able to get out in Elgin. RBMTS has the answer. Elgin is site 126. Most likely those talkgroups aren't making it out to that area on 126. ONLY broadcast on site 101

FFPM571

Premium Subscriber
90% of DuPage Co Sheriff is off 101 the only time they will affiliate anywhere else is unless they are far West or South being they are spread thin as it is its very rare

RBMTS

I'm monitoring the Kane simulcast to catch the TriCom cutover. I did verify that 2619 is not on the Kane simulcast when it is being heard on the DuPage simulcast.

Kanecoradio22

Thanks for the responses. First of all the Trx1 and 2 do phase II. I can’t verify whether the Sheriff TGs are 1or2 because I’ve never heard them. But most of the DuP TGs are still phase 1 because I also get them on my PRO-96 and 197. I am using the 101 DuPage simulcast system for monitoring DuPage and from my location I do see some simulcast distortion from Elgin and or McHenry but I can still determine the DuPage TG being distorted. One thought. Could those TGs be exclusively on the Aurora tower which I can’t hit from my location?

RBMTS

It depends what radios affiliate with what site. If no radios are affiliated with any Kane site, then you won't hear them. As of this morning, there is no DCS activity coming across the Kane simulcast system. But I am monitoring them on the Dupage simulcast system.

Kanecoradio22

Well I guess I’m out of luck. But I still can’t understand why I can get other active 2600 and 2700 talk groups coming in from tower 101 and not those three. Thanks again guys.

RBMTS

It's all about radio affiliation. If no units or radios are in a particular site zone, then you won't see their talkgroup activity because . . . . . there are no radios in that zone. So why take away resources when not necessary.

As an example, I am not able to monitor Elgin FD here in DuPage. I could if one of their units or radios came into DuPage for some reason that that radio affiliated with a different zone. But as a norm, that won't happen. The same is true for you and DCS.

jx87jx

Dupage County Sheriff’s TG’s are phase 2. DU-COMM has been transitioning to phase 2. 7 West, 7 South, 1 South, 3 East including all LCL channels are Phase 2 TG’s

officerdave

Retired LEO
DuPage ETSB has mandated that ALL of their systems' radios be Phase II . Per my conversation with MOTO at the last user meeting, all towers in Northeast Illinois are now Phase II capable. Trust me you will not see a DuPage ETSB system radio running Phase I for much longer. My HP 2 has no issue from Lisle picking up the system. Our Starcom radios only affiliate on State Wide sites, when using mutual aid talk groups. You don't want DuPage cars taking up resources in other counties, if they are not actively involved in an incident in that county.

BTW DuPage Sheriff had a SWAT call out in unincorporated Downers Grove this AM . I heard most of the initial traffic on Channel 1, but they switched to their TAC 1 ( encrypted ) channel on scene.

FFPM571

Premium Subscriber
Dupage County Sheriff’s TG’s are phase 2. DU-COMM has been transitioning to phase 2. 7 West, 7 South, 1 South, 3 East including all LCL channels are Phase 2 TG’s
Not at the moment 3 East is not Phase II I am listening on my XTS5000

jx87jx

A few channels listed above toggle. Yes, 3 East and 1 south do toggle between FDMA and TDMA. 3 East was phase 2 during the day and it’s showing phase one now. Only takes one radio to revert back to FDMA. ACDC channels are toggling between phase one and two. As officerdave stated, the days of phase one are numbered.

werinshades

Premium Subscriber
Why would DuPage Sheriff not use DuComm ?

I'm sure it's "politics". What doesn't make sense is police and fire departments with different dispatch centers which I believe causes unnecessary delays.

Heard on a few occasions Countryside PD (Dispatched by Southwest Central in Palos Heights) , requested an ambulance or fire response (Dispatched by Addison Consolidated/Pleasantview FPD), and 3-4 minute delays. The latest was a few days ago, a request was made for an auto/dumpster and I held the ACDC-1 (Fire South) channel. Request was 1056 hrs,, tone out went out at 1100 hrs, and ACDC announced the arrival of the first company at 1103 Hrs.

RBMTS

Although DuComm and ACDC seem to be almost simultaneous with each other. There have been some recent structure fire calls originating in one or the other jurisdiction but requiring auto-aid from departments. ACDC would be toning out and just a couple of seconds later DuComm would be toning out for auto-aid (I have them both setup on different scanners). The same vice-versa. It almost seemed like they were interconnected with their dispatching - almost like they were in the same room at different consoles (which they aren't).

As for MidwestRadio's question - I agree that Werinshades probably has the best guess. It could also be cost, Load-sharing, Manpower/staffing, etc etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.