Duplexer with BNC connections?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoshuaHufford

Feed Provider
I'm thinking about getting a duplexer to split the signal from a dual band antenna, specifically I would be trying to receive 160-162MHz into one scanner and 452-458MHz to another.

Seems like all I can find are models with N connections or SO-239 connectors. Most everything I have uses BNC, would like to avoid using adapters if I can.

Thanks!

Ubbe

Some $1 adapters from china can be flakey when you wiggle them but $5 ones are always fine. Also cheap pigtails works fine from china.
I only experiance problems with cheap BNC connectors but sma and N and also F have never been any problems for me, even the cheapest ones as they are screw on with threads and not wiggly bajonet types. I have converted to sma on everything now, as amplifiers, splitters, filters, SDR reseivers and portable scanners mostly comes fitted with sma and I use pigtails or adaptors to convert to bnc and F.
This $20 diplexer is excellent: Diplexer 2m 70cm for Ham Radio Transceiver SDR receiver | eBay
Duplexers are the ones that combine signals in the same frequency range and are often more complex with both passband and notch filters.

/Ubbe

JoshuaHufford

Feed Provider
So is the correct item I need a Diplexer not a Duplexer?

I'm looking to split the signal from one antenna into 2 scanners, one for VHF, one for UHF.

Vendors seem to have some confusion on what these are called.

prcguy

For radio use a diplexer usually means combining two different bands and a duplexer is combining within the same band. Diplexers for your needed frequency range probably exist but I haven't seen any recently. I have one that splits 30-90Mhz and 100 to 512Mhz but that's not what you need.

So is the correct item I need a Diplexer not a Duplexer?

I'm looking to split the signal from one antenna into 2 scanners, one for VHF, one for UHF.

Vendors seem to have some confusion on what these are called.

n5ims

The simple answer to your problem is this. You won't be able to directly connect your scanners to the ports on the duplexer (it most likely wouldn't physically fit with the two scanner's antenna ports aligning up properly with the ports on the duplexer) also you'd probably at least need a male to male connector even if they did line up exactly. You'll need some short jumpers to make the connection. To make the duplexer connection type moot just have them make up those jumpers with the proper connector to mate with the ports on the duplexer on one side and the proper connector to mate to your scanner on the other side. You'll have a good clean connection and zero adapters needed.

Ubbe

You can use any diplexer that have crossover frequency of 200MHz-400Mhz if you do not need to receive between those frequencies. The diplexer I suggested have a crossover frequency of 240Mhz and at your monitor frequency ranges it is 0dB attenuation, or less than 0,5dB.

/Ubbe

lmrtek

The correct term is DIPLEXER but using quality adapters is perfectly fine.

FedFyrGuy

Premium Subscriber
One suggestion:
Anzac T-1000 Power Divider

Use an adapter at the input, and buy or make the appropriate cable to feed your scanners. I've used these on a number of scanner installations and they work well. Prices vary between new and used. Of course, there are other options as well....

Status
Not open for further replies.