Duplicate feeds

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have not yet started a live feed, because another user is feeding my area. I like to listen to my area when I'm away but I have noticed the feed is not active from time to time. Is it permissible for me to provide a duplicated, more reliable feed or do I just need to wait for the feed to repaired?

kendrik578

Live Audio Administrator
Database Admin
If you can make a positive PROMISES that it will be a more reliable feed then we will allow your feed(we will check the other feeds uptime to determine if its a reliable feed or not), and we will contact the person of the other feed to broadcast something else. We have had some users say they will provide a more reliable feed but turns out their feed was down just as much as the original one. Make sure you state in your feed application you will provide a more reliable feed.

Last edited:

richtidd

Database Admin
I have not yet started a live feed, because another user is feeding my area. I like to listen to my area when I'm away but I have noticed the feed is not active from time to time. Is it permissible for me to provide a duplicated, more reliable feed or do I just need to wait for the feed to repaired?

We do not nominally allow exact duplicate feeds.

If someone can provide a better feed for the same agencies, we may allow the feed & ask the current feed owner to change.

In these cases, we give the existing feed owner a change to fix the feed to keep it.
If that fails, a feed may go to a new feed owner.

It gets a bit tricky to tell an existing feed owner he is bumped.

I have had two in the last month.

I worked with one existing feed owner to be able to keep his feed as someone else wanted it.

I have one now that may lose his feed as someone may be providing a better feed.

The best is to provide your feed with something different if poss. so we can easily approve it.

Thanks for the information. I don't want to "bump" anyone out. I will wait and keep track of the feed I am interested in. So far I know it's been down for over 48 hours. Hopefully they will fix the problem. Once again, Thanks

Kingscup

Feed Provider
We do not nominally allow exact duplicate feeds.

If someone can provide a better feed for the same agencies, we may allow the feed & ask the current feed owner to change.

In these cases, we give the existing feed owner a change to fix the feed to keep it.
If that fails, a feed may go to a new feed owner.

It gets a bit tricky to tell an existing feed owner he is bumped.

I have had two in the last month.

I worked with one existing feed owner to be able to keep his feed as someone else wanted it.

I have one now that may lose his feed as someone may be providing a better feed.

I agree that a feed owner should have time to fix their feed if there is a problem but how long should that be? That will depend on the communication between the feed owner and RR. My problem is that I see feeds that are offline way too often that I think it hurts RR more then it helps. There could be someone that is willing to provide a reliable feed but sees that there is already a feed even though it is offline when they see it so they don't bother to ask if they could provide the same feed.

I notice 1 feed that has been up a total of 4 times since 12-21. It was up for 6 hours one day and less then 15 minutes the other 3 days. They have it up just enough so it won't be automatically deleted. To me, that is an unacceptable. If I lived close enough to provide the feed, I would do it and it would be near 100% online like my current feed. Does RR have a program to see the online time of all feed providers?

Kingscup

Feed Provider
NO, you can only see the uptime of your own feed.

I didn't mean for myself to see other providers. I meant for Lindsey and Gordon. They can determine by uptime if the feed is worth it. It sounds like the policy is generally if the feed is not up within 30 days, it will be deleted. Nothing wrong with that. If that is the policy then that is the policy. You can get an idea of uptime by just looking at the providers archive.

kendrik578

Live Audio Administrator
Database Admin
I didn't mean for myself to see other providers. I meant for Lindsey and Gordon. They can determine by uptime if the feed is worth it. It sounds like the policy is generally if the feed is not up within 30 days, it will be deleted. Nothing wrong with that. If that is the policy then that is the policy. You can get an idea of uptime by just looking at the providers archive.

Yes we are able to see uptime, how do you think we determine if a feed is reliable or not?:). However we dont(we cant) police every feed. Only if another provider wants to provide the same thing do we look at the uptime.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.