DURABLE Scanners!?!?

Status
Not open for further replies.

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
BCD396XT is designed to take some abuse. Rubberized impact points around the outer case. Of course, no comparison to the $3500 and up Motorolas, but get get pretty decent testimonials.

dugan

The north shore of Lake Erie. The Great Lake that
I like a good build quality like the next guy, but I haven't experienced a problem with my Unidens and my GRE's. Maybe I am just lucky or careful or something, but I have never broken a radio or had one fail on me for the thirty years I have owned radios. Two-way radios are a different story, because I use them differently. The get dropped, dunked and bumped. Even then I have had fairly good luck.

While the option for a tougher model would be nice, I would like the option to save money on a cheaper, but just good enough model.

NewSDScanner

NewSD...
Per your thread starting on 12/31/10, you bought a used 106 with the duckie antenna already bent, which would indicate previous strain on the BNC. You ask for comments, someone advises you to take the antenna off when putting it in the glovebox and now they're at fault because of a bad BNC? Take a breath, step back and cool off a little..send it in and get the BNC replaced, it'll be in better shape than when you got it.

You're raise a very valid point that I appreciate. I actually ended up fixing this thing myself with a safety pin today - i think the BNC "female" contacts were just bent. If it keeps happening, I'll just have RS repair it.

DaveIN

Founders Curmudgen
Database Admin
My 396XT took a fall from the hip to the concrete in the garage and still kept on scanning. I highly advise the nylon case for it however. Small and solid.

Farscan

Premium Subscriber
while my 396xt has survived a few spills- i always wanted to have manufactured a new case with a better speaker like my 2500 motorola.- the case is more durable and black all the way through. If only there was an after market mod company that we could change cases with and add a louder speaker to. Also change the look- and add motorola keys where the numbers are under the coating and don't rub off. maybe uniden could consider different options on models. I would buy a pro version with a more durable look and feel. $125 yeasu handhelds have a more durable and professional feel. A bluetooth option also
Remember not all of us have $$ constraints.

reedeb

Back about 20 or so yrs ago i bought 2 heave leather cases for my scannser today I use em for my RS 2 Mtr HT and one of my scanners. They are still useable today and still in great shape.

I've seen Motorola HTs fall from 3rd story roofs and shatter on the ground and I've seen Icom HTs do the same bounce and keep on working. It really doesn't matter who malkes em, if they're gonna break they'll break.

NewSDScanner

Well my original request still holds true: we need a RUGGED scanner. I wrote an email to GRECOM and the VP actually got back to me and was very thorough with his response. He thanked me for my suggestion and said that they are starting to realize there is a market for more durable scanners as others have requested it as well. I actually sent him the link to this thread too so he can see that I'm not the only one interested.

In terms of the ATX7000 and the XTS3000, not gonna happen. My area runs a P-25 system and if you wanna know why I'm not going to use the Motorolas on my local system, see this thread. I don't want to break the law and I sure don't want to put someone's life in danger. I can relate to those people because I've been working in public safety for almost 5 years now. I am NOT a sworn police officer but I DO respond to emergency calls; both security and medical.

I keep running into the GRE guys at trade shows and keep suggesting they do better on engineering rugged packaging. I have a Pro-96 that is only 7 years old, but looks like it's been run through a machine. The rubber grips were the first to go and now the battery compartment is held on with gaffer's tape ever since it got dropped. I'd have to replace the entire case, not just the battery cover. If only the case were a little bit thicker and a little less brittle, or maybe from die-cast aluminum.

When I first started this hobby, I had a Radio Shack Pro-6, which fell apart. Then I got a Bearcat SP H/L which was solid in comparison. I programmed several Unidens, and they seem pretty rugged (not as rugged as an HT-220, but...).

I love GRE's stuff, but it's like it has to be placed inside bubble wrap to hold up.

oregontreehugger

Premium Subscriber
Yep, it sure would be nice to see a more durable scanner on the market. Loud audio, epoxied or secured components & internals, solid knobs, spring-loaded belt clip, and at least limited protection from dust/moisture.

Of course, this is going to add a cost to the unit, as others have mentioned. But I'd be willing to bet some news organizations and public safety users would willing to buy, as well as hobbyists.

Astro25

I too would be willing to pay more for a "ruggedized" sort of scanner; one built well, with a loud speaker. I wouldn't even mind paying around $100 more for the average scanner if it's something I know I can take with me in the field and not have to worry about it getting a little wet or dropped....

I'm surprised no major scanner manufacturer has jumped on this. It is the #1 complaint I hear from people about scanners. And people are willing to pay for this, too!!

This is one of the main reasons why I only own a couple scanners and 20+ commercial radios.

RadioDaze

I wouldn't even mind paying around $100 more for the average scanner if it's something I know I can take with me in the field and not have to worry about it getting a little wet or dropped....

The problem is it's going to cost considerably more than that for a scanner that's as durable as we'd all like. There just is not the sales volume to support a lower-cost professional build scanner. Look how many posts there are on here by people who either cannot afford a digital scanner, or are inquiring about the cheapest possible place to buy one, or can only afford one when it's on sale. I don't doubt that a few would quickly pay the requisite $1000 plus to buy one. But even out of our forum population, which represents a significant number of scanning enthusiasts, an insignificant number of sales would result. That translates into insufficient demand to make it profitable.

Scanners have a potential to become obsolete in a relative short time. I already hesitate to invest in more scanners due to expanding encryption or other similar deal breakers. I'll be sad if I can no longer use my $400 scanner for my primary scanning interest; at $1200 I'll be suicidal. Somehow, that has to be factored into the demand.

dugan

The problem is it's going to cost considerably more than that for a scanner that's as durable as we'd all like. There just is not the sales volume to support a lower-cost professional build scanner. Look how many posts there are on here by people who either cannot afford a digital scanner, or are inquiring about the cheapest possible place to buy one, or can only afford one when it's on sale. I don't doubt that a few would quickly pay the requisite $1000 plus to buy one. But even out of our forum population, which represents a significant number of scanning enthusiasts, an insignificant number of sales would result. That translates into insufficient demand to make it profitable.

Scanners have a potential to become obsolete in a relative short time. I already hesitate to invest in more scanners due to expanding encryption or other similar deal breakers. I'll be sad if I can no longer use my $400 scanner for my primary scanning interest; at $1200 I'll be suicidal. Somehow, that has to be factored into the demand.

Absolutely right. I remember just a few short years ago, I had countless conversations with acquaintances who would say things like, "I'd love to get my hands on a digital scanner, but they cost too high". Remember the idea of getting a digital board? The price was a deal breaker for most. Only now that we have digital scanners below $500 does it seem that the market has developed in a big way. A major fear for some enthusiast is the idea that their unit may be obsolete at any moment if their local services go encrypted.

If I ran one of these companies I'd keep building them as cheaply as possible while being just good enough. Perhaps a specially designed very rugged boot with reinforcement for the antenna, or even a less rigid antenna would be the thing.

It is nice that some people don't have monetary restraints, but these days I would guess they are in the minority.

The reality is that some of us have a lot of hobbies and between my computers, software, cell phones, cameras, hiking gear, gps, boat, hunting equipment, two way radios and scanners, the latter is only a small part. While I am doing alright, I can't reasonably afford the best of everything.

Like I said in a previous post I guess I am careful with my stuff, because it hasn't been a big issue for me. In 30 years I haven't broken a camera, or a scanner, although I have broken a VHF radio or two. I expect that to happen once and a while, especially when they come off my belt while I am up a tree. Someone suggested taking the antenna off before sticking the scanner in a glove box. That is something I have done automatically since day one, because the antenna connection is definitely a weak point. I would have thought it careless not to.

I did make a short BNC to BNC extension that I sometimes use when I stick my radio on my belt. It allows me to loop the antenna over and stick it in a pocket. It seems to work well enough and it keeps me from catching the antenna with my sleeve and straining the BNC on the radio. It is only practical with a scanner.

NewSDScanner

I think you guys are over-thinking this a little bit. Realistically, it's gonna take a WHILE for EVERYONE to go to encryption, even if they eventually do. People go out and buy expensive computers all the time that are obsolete in a few years... And I know you probably have other hobbies, I do too. In fact, I shoot guns... a VERY expensive hobby. But scanning is something different, it's almost like it's not a hobby. I can scan and do my homework, scan at work, scan at home, scan in my car... I can't shoot guns at home, shoot guns while doing my homework, shoot guns while driving... I can't even read while doing those things because reading requires full eye attention. This is clearly where scanners have the upper hand as a hobby.

Having said that, I would have to agree with you as far as I've seen about the actual amount of people who are into the hobby. There don't seem to be that many. HOWEVER, you'd be surprised at the amount of both guys and girls who I've gotten interested in scanners - and yes, hot girls too, haha. Most people my age (22) don't know how to manage their money though so you're right in that while many are interested, that doesn't necessarily reflect the number of people who'd buy.

Nevertheless, manufacturing a decently-built scanner doesn't have to cost that much and I think riding the "they may be obsolete soon" wave isn't very smart either. And this comment:

If I ran one of these companies I'd keep building them as cheaply as possible while being just good enough.

That's just frustrating and I'm glad you're not running one of these companies.

In any event, I got a regular "music" radio down stairs made by Milwaukee (check it out) that can be dropped, spilled on, slammed down, beat up, ran over, frozen, and put in the oven and it'll be fine. It costed me like $60. True, it's just a basic radio, but it even comes with a special iPod compartment to protect an iPod or other MP3 player and a jack. They could make a durable scanner for less than $1,000, trust me. I work for a company right now that makes people feel like they're getting a deal when the things cost $0.50 to make and they are charging them a "low price of $10."

Absolutely right. I remember just a few short years ago, I had countless conversations with acquaintances who would say things like, "I'd love to get my hands on a digital scanner, but they cost too high". Remember the idea of getting a digital board? The price was a deal breaker for most. Only now that we have digital scanners below $500 does it seem that the market has developed in a big way. A major fear for some enthusiast is the idea that their unit may be obsolete at any moment if their local services go encrypted.

If I ran one of these companies I'd keep building them as cheaply as possible while being just good enough. Perhaps a specially designed very rugged boot with reinforcement for the antenna, or even a less rigid antenna would be the thing.

It is nice that some people don't have monetary restraints, but these days I would guess they are in the minority.

The reality is that some of us have a lot of hobbies and between my computers, software, cell phones, cameras, hiking gear, gps, boat, hunting equipment, two way radios and scanners, the latter is only a small part. While I am doing alright, I can't reasonably afford the best of everything.

Like I said in a previous post I guess I am careful with my stuff, because it hasn't been a big issue for me. In 30 years I haven't broken a camera, or a scanner, although I have broken a VHF radio or two. I expect that to happen once and a while, especially when they come off my belt while I am up a tree. Someone suggested taking the antenna off before sticking the scanner in a glove box. That is something I have done automatically since day one, because the antenna connection is definitely a weak point. I would have thought it careless not to.

I did make a short BNC to BNC extension that I sometimes use when I stick my radio on my belt. It allows me to loop the antenna over and stick it in a pocket. It seems to work well enough and it keeps me from catching the antenna with my sleeve and straining the BNC on the radio. It is only practical with a scanner.

Astro25

Well, one thing is for sure here at least is that most all NEXEDGE communications in this area are 100% encrypted. We enable it by default on our NXDN trunk systems and all subscriber radios, as do our competitors in the area. I do not forsee NEXEDGE being very monitorable at all... Not around Chicago/Milwaukee, anyways.

Back to the scanners, I wouldn't think it'd cost more than $50-75 per unit (assembly/parts COST to the manufacturer) to make something a bit more rugged, and no doubt they could tack on an extra $100 and get it, too. But perhaps it costs more than that, I don't know.

RES51CUE

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
the rugged scanners are a good idea but a rugged handheld 2 way radios"vhf" "uhf" "cb" would also be a verry good thing as well as a loud specker in both and a loud mic in the 2 way radios "vhf" "uhf" "cb" a stronger bnc conector on all radios "scanner/vhf/uhf/cb radios"

dugan

Okay. I stand corrected. What can I say I must have been on glue or just tired this morning. As the price has come down the volume of sales has gone up. No doubt they could be sold even cheaper and made tougher if they manage to get the sales volumes to mass market levels. I have a couple of Midland "bubble pack" GMRS radios that are tougher than my scanner, work amazingly well, they are 5W, and were dirt cheap. I think I got the pair on sale for $50.

The only thing that stops a lot of people in their tracks is the price and the user interface. Maybe some of the new models with a built in database will solve that problem. It would be interesting to know how many scanners are sold compared to things like GMRS radios.

Bob_61

Well my original request still holds true: we need a RUGGED scanner. I wrote an email to GRECOM and the VP actually got back to me and was very thorough with his response. He thanked me for my suggestion and said that they are starting to realize there is a market for more durable scanners as others have requested it as well. I actually sent him the link to this thread too so he can see that I'm not the only one interested.

Was that Wayne Wilson? If so he is a very nice person, I emailed Gre and ask if anyone knew of returned USB programing cables that are sold at discount. I mentioned I was on state disability and had little money, well he emailed me back and said he had a Radio Shack cable and would send it to me at no charge! Now that is customer service !!!!

mancow

Database Admin
I agree with the ruggedized idea. I would like to see them made more in the line of the yaesu HTs. My PSR500 looks like it was put through a brass shell casing cleaner. It's worn totally shiny and the PSR800 display looks like someone took sandpaper to it just form normal use.

mancow

Database Admin
The impact points are great but the painted plastic front just doesn't hold up. Is it really that much more expensive to manufacture it with that same type of substance and finish that Icom uses with the IC92AD or Yaesu uses with their VX units? Whatever that plastic is it seems to hold up to wear much better than the stuff used for the scanners. We may lose the nice metallic painted look but as for me I'm fine with that. The paint looks like hell after a while anyway.

BCD396XT is designed to take some abuse. Rubberized impact points around the outer case. Of course, no comparison to the $3500 and up Motorolas, but get get pretty decent testimonials.

Status
Not open for further replies.