DURABLE Scanners!?!?

Status
Not open for further replies.

NewSDScanner

Are there any manufacturers that make DURABLE DIGITAL scanners, specifically portables? I find it rather annoying that I can drop the Motorola radios at work and they can get smacked around pretty good but my scanner as fragile as piece of glass... In fact, I just called GRECOM and asked and they said all of theirs are plastic but I could try getting a case...

This kinda pisses me off to be honest. I know the technology exists, but I don't know if anyone is making one yet. I mean, why offer a portable scanner with a chinsy belt clip if the thing can't be dropped? And no, I actually did not drop mine, but apparently me hooking and unhooking my antenna from my PRO-106 is too hard for the poor little thing and now I can't receive anything... Kinda annoying when I was told to unhook the antenna and put it away so it doesn't get stolen, then the damn thing breaks because of some stupid soldering inside of it.

cgresq192

Ive also wondered this myself

A Mil spec Scanner.....

I guess there's isn't the "demand" for one. Amateur Radios and Police/Industrial transceivers...they all seem to be milspec these days....scanners...I guess not many are out in the fields beating these things up.

NewSDScanner

Exactly, I just think it's ridiculous that there isn't a mil spec scanner... I've been using Motorolas for years at work and then I bought a scanner and noticed a HUGE build-quality drop. And I think I should be able to pay a bit more and get a well-built scanner... There doesn't seem to be a huge scanner audience but then is there any alternative? I just want something that works, unlike my scanner's BNC connector apparently.

cgresq192

A radio like an Yaesu FT-60R or another Wideband Recieve Ham radio or a Motorola HT. LOL

Seriously, if you need something that can take a beating those will do it.

Scanner......I guess some are a little more robust than others... but not really, mostly the same plastic shells.

nanZor

If Midland can ruggedize a GMRS/FRS radio like the GXT5000, then certainly Uniden and GRE/RS can make that step.

Or perhaps it is time for Midland to recognize those of us that want a rugged scanner and bring something out. They certainly have the experience as they make commercial land-mobile / P25 radios.

I would love to see another big player enter the arena to tackle Uniden and GRE head on.

dxh

The only thing that comes to mind is the Icom Recievers like the R6/R7 or even the cheaper older ones like the R1.

Receiver Products - Icom America

I used to have an R1 and unlike the handheld scanners from RS/GRE/etc which are made of cheap flimsy plastic that bends, the Icom R-x handheld receivers are AT LEAST made about the same as the Ham Radio HTs. They are basically very similar to the Ham HT's just receive only.

Icom Radios - The RadioReference Wiki

KC0CSE

pro 106 cheaply made

I have to agree...as a ham radio operator most of my radio gear is Motorola mobiles and Ht 600 hand helds.....they call the Motorola the "brick" you can drop it throw it and it keeps on working...I use the same radio for scanning analog PS .....so why can't RR AND UNIDEN make a radio that when you drop it all you have is a bunch of plastic and electronics on the ground to sweep up?.....why because they know you will go out there and buy another to replace it..... because we know as "radio heads".....can not do without our radios....they have us and they know it...the ham radio gear like Kenwoods are Mil Spec..as well the overseas radios...I have...I have never ever had one break after dropping or banging around....or putting on an external antenna.....

Motorola MaxTrac Mobile 45 watt
5-HT-600's
4-Kenwoods (mobile)
4-4150 Maxon's (mobile)
6-Maxon HT's
OH AND ONE BRAND NEW RR PRO 106!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! in a leather Motorola protective case.....

NewSDScanner

It depends on the frequencies and what you need to receive.

Here's the Specs on the FT60

Yaesu FT60R Specifications

Ok it DOES cover my frequency range but is it able to decode digital signals? Also, can it listen to trunking signals? The local systems are digital trunking. I honestly wouldn't even care if it had a "scan" feature or not, I just want something that I can listen to selected frequencies on that won't break at the drop of a hat.

XTS3000

Hmmm. How could I program this to my area??? Would it be as simple as my current scanners? I'm trying to run San Diego RCS, btw which is a " Motorola 800/900Mhz SmartZone Type II" system.

Order the CPS, and read, read and read some more.

NewSDScanner

Well see the thing is, I thought it couldn't be done. So it IS possible? I CAN program that device with the info I have here on RR database? That's what I'm asking.

JoeyC

For your purposes, needs, wants and expertise, NO you cannot program the SD County RCS into your radio. (There are MANY threads on this website to explain why not.)

Stick with a scanner and take care of it. They don't now, and never will make a scanner with a military specifications case.

NewSDScanner

For your purposes, needs, wants and expertise, NO you cannot program the SD County RCS into your radio. (There are MANY threads on this website to explain why not.)

Stick with a scanner and take care of it. They don't now, and never will make a scanner with a military specifications case.

Well thanks for the info. I may go hunt down one of those threads then. I'm not settling for the scanners, I think it's ridiculous that one of my scanners broke from attaching and re-attaching the antenna which people on this forum instructed me to do so that it doesn't get stolen. I detach the antenna, then hide it. I can't hide it with the antenna attached and even if I could, it would still stress that weak BNC connector.

In addition, I do take care of my stuff. I've never dropped the scanner, never dropped my PSR-500, and I'm the only person I know who maintains my entire CD and DVD collection with absolutely no scratches on the discs whatsoever and minimal dust. My car is now 3 years old but I keep having people either tell me it looks like new or ask me when I got the new car. With all due respect, I both know how to and do take care of my stuff, and when I come on the internet or write people letters about something (which is actually a very rare occurrence for me), it usually means that there's a serious issue, not just another bonehead complaining about something that he caused by his own abuse. And yes, I did both speak to and email GRE about the issue and urged them to design a more rugged model.

OCO

NewSD...
Per your thread starting on 12/31/10, you bought a used 106 with the duckie antenna already bent, which would indicate previous strain on the BNC. You ask for comments, someone advises you to take the antenna off when putting it in the glovebox and now they're at fault because of a bad BNC? Take a breath, step back and cool off a little..send it in and get the BNC replaced, it'll be in better shape than when you got it.

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Hmmm. How could I program this to my area??? Would it be as simple as my current scanners? I'm trying to run San Diego RCS, btw which is a " Motorola 800/900Mhz SmartZone Type II" system.

A motorola APX 7000 would be a tad bit overkill to use for a scanner, just check the price and then decide for yourself ( unless you're a licensed public safety responder). :wink:

n9zas

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
gewecke:
How do the Ebay prices compare to list from MOT? (I think I saw $2700 -$3500 for a 7000).

The cheapest I saw on another search were 3k with a gov. discount, so you're in the ballpark.
Too rich for my blood. :(

n9zas

Status
Not open for further replies.