Duracell 2750 battery question.

Status
Not open for further replies.

EJB

20 + year membership
Premium Subscriber
I have been using 2 sets of the above batteries in my 396 now for 6 months.
At first these batteries worked great, charge would stay for 10+ hrs, maybe 14!

Now one set doesnt hold its charge for more than a few hours and the other set barely lasts 10 hrs it seems.

I have a battery charger that allows me to charge 2 or 4 at a time. I normally charge 4 at a time.
I use a CVHC2 from Everready.

Should I just expect it that Duracell makes crappy batteries also?

I might be able to purchase batteries in N Y State this weekend. I am going to Syracuse Exit 35.
Can I pick something else decent up at a Walmart or Rite Aid type store?
Maybe there is a radio shack somewhere there? Does anyone recommend Eveready 2500's?

Thanks in advance.
Eric

EJB

20 + year membership
Premium Subscriber
Gd:
Thanks for showing me that thread.
Now I gotta figure out if it is one battery thats doing it.

Can anyone recommend a good charger out there that will charge each cell individually available & affordable that will do that at a store? (Best Buy, the shack the source or anyone in Western NY) I dont want to buy off EBAY.

tobarger

I have had good luck with the La Crosse BC-900.
Charges 4 AA or AAA batteries, each on its own circuit.
Has a "TEST" function to spot bad batteries (takes longer), or just use the "DISCHARGE" setting and compare individual charged capacities.

Check out this site for tons of information about batteries and chargers.

http://www.thomas-distributing.com/index.htm

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
DuraCell NiMH batteries

I had EXACTLY the same thing happen. I purchased 8 DuraCell 2650mah NiMH AA batteries, and it wasn't even a month of use later one turned into a door nail. I tried charging it separately and it just would not hold a charge. The other 7 have been working well for many months since then though.

So it does seem that we can get bad apples in any bunch, including DuraCell.

macdude22

Premium Subscriber
These really high capacity batteries are notoriously fragile. The slightest bump damages the separator and poof, they discharge in days. Duracell 2650s are known for this issue, unfortunately there isn't much they can do about it, to cram in a bit more storage capacity something had to give. A quick jar to a cell tears the separator and there goes all those juicy electrons. I suggest one of the new Low Self Discharge batteries. I use eneloop, Rayovac Hybrid, and Duracell brand Low Self Discharge cells myself.

The capacity is lower @ around 2000 mah but they don't self discharge the usual .5-1% a day and they are rugged.

If you can find the Duracell LSD cells that are made in Japan they are re-badged eneloops, but there are sets that are made in China that are thought to be re-badged Hybrids. I've used both, eneloops seem to hold up under high discharge current slightly better than Hybrids.

I use a Maha 808M charger, but it's probably overkill for most.

Zaratsu

Premium Subscriber
Buy some Sanyos.

A lot of people like the pre-charged eneloop 2500mah, but I find that the standard Sanyo Superlattice EVO 2700mah (not-precharged) work for several hours longer in my scanner.

Sanyo is tops for battery technology and quality right now in consumer and industrial applications. They just do not have the distribution or market share that Duracell, energizer, everready have. You can count on Camera shops to have them, major big-box retailers are hit or miss,(usually miss). I got one set at the local Ritz and the other set when I bought the scanner at the local ham dealer.

EJB

20 + year membership
Premium Subscriber
Buy some Sanyos.

A lot of people like the pre-charged eneloop 2500mah, but I find that the standard Sanyo Superlattice EVO 2700mah (not-precharged) work for several hours longer in my scanner.

Sanyo is tops for battery technology and quality right now in consumer and industrial applications. They just do not have the distribution or market share that Duracell, energizer, everready have. You can count on Camera shops to have them, major big-box retailers are hit or miss,(usually miss). I got one set at the local Ritz and the other set when I bought the scanner at the local ham dealer.

Dan from Conn:
Whats Ritz?
Pardon my ignornace but I am canadian. :)
As mentioned I am driving down to the U.S. OF A on saturday for the day in upstate N.Y.

Is this store prevelant in the Niagara Falls or Syracuse area?

E

POWEREX by Maha are also top notch batteries that photographers use. I have used several sets for some time and find they last a long time, and do not discharge quickly. The maha charger will allows for batter rejuvination and that may be what one or more of your batteries need. I also use the ones you have for a camera and find they work great after about 6 months.

As far as NIMH not having a memory I don't buy it. I discharge fully before charging and have never have any issues with them. People who partially drain and charge all the time always have issues.

Re-conditioning an NIMH cell can take TEN cycles as well to do sometimes, so it is better to just avoid having to do that.

Zaratsu

Premium Subscriber
Dan from Conn:
Whats Ritz?
Pardon my ignornace but I am canadian. :)
As mentioned I am driving down to the U.S. OF A on saturday for the day in upstate N.Y.

Is this store prevelant in the Niagara Falls or Syracuse area?

E

Not sure how concentrated they are, but here is a link to their web page and their location in Syracuse. Looks like they have one opening in Buffallo soon, but not open yet.

Check their other NY locations for closer towns or something.
http://www.ritzcamera.com/webapp/wc...languageId=-1&city=Syracuse&state=NY&zipCode=

Also, it looks like they go by two names now Ritz Pix and Wolf Camera. No idea why, it was always just Ritz Camera, but seems that is a seperate biz now. Tough to differentiate between the online biz, the regular stores, and the places that just do one-hour photo and dont sell gear. May want to call ahead.

EJB

20 + year membership
Premium Subscriber
Thank you to all who responded. Much appreciated.
Dan.
I have never been to Syracuse before and wont be there for more than 30 min.
My daughter is summering in Mass with her g-parents, we meet halfway.
Besides I will be bummed not seeing my daughter for 6 weeks ;-(
i probably wont have time to shop or drive around, this being a very busy weekend (Canada day next week and Pride week attracts close to a million people in oronto) the border will be crazy!

We will be taking a few days in Mass when we pick her up, maybe then or in another trip to the staes I will look up those camera shops but right now if there was a place where I could good batteries in canada I would love to know

E

gd9704

On the advice of others here, I ordered the big MAHA charger that does 8 AA's at a time and cares for each individually. Between my scanner, my digital camera and all my kid's toys that use AA's, I figured that the spendy charger will pay for itself over time. I've accumulated a bunch of rechargable AA's that have become suspect. This way I can weed out the duds and hopefully revive the ones that are still good.

Frankly, any excuse to buy an electronic toy is reason enough for me!!!!!

slicerwizard

I have a battery charger that allows me to charge 2 or 4 at a time. I normally charge 4 at a time.
I use a CVHC2 from Everready.
Are you sure that's the model number?

2750's aren't going to be very happy with a charger that only handles pairs. They need good individual charge completion detection and handling.

Should I just expect it that Duracell makes crappy batteries also?
My 2650's have been fine with a smart fast charger. They're holding up better than the 2050 Energizers that came with the charger.

I might be able to purchase batteries in N Y State this weekend.
But you still have a questionable charger. You may be setting yourself up for failure.

I am going to Syracuse Exit 35.
Can I pick something else decent up at a Walmart or Rite Aid type store?
Maybe there is a radio shack somewhere there? Does anyone recommend Eveready 2500's?
Do you need the ultra-high capacity? Would two sets of lower capacity cells work for you?

Wal-Mart has inexpensive 2100 mAh Rayovac Hybrids; they've been working fine in my digital camera.

I think you should go with the tougher LSD cells or get a better charger.

EJB

20 + year membership
Premium Subscriber
Are you sure that's the model number?

2750's aren't going to be very happy with a charger that only handles pairs. They need good individual charge completion detection and handling.

My 2650's have been fine with a smart fast charger. They're holding up better than the 2050 Energizers that came with the charger.

But you still have a questionable charger. You may be setting yourself up for failure.

Do you need the ultra-high capacity? Would two sets of lower capacity cells work for you?

Wal-Mart has inexpensive 2100 mAh Rayovac Hybrids; they've been working fine in my digital camera.

I think you should go with the tougher LSD cells or get a better charger.

Andrew from Scarbrough :)
I knew I'd get a response from a fellow GTA'er.

I would prefer higher capacity cells if possible if they would not die within 6 months.
If you remember, back in the early part of the winter I went thru the same problem and bought a new charger. The charger was cheap, got it at Best Buy IIRC. I'll re-check the model #, its made by everrady and came with 2 2000 mAH
I wouldnt mind if one was dying, I'll go out & buy more but with my charger it is gonna be hard to find which battery itself is a dud.

To get to the point, in your opinion is there a chargerout there available at the best buys of the world that charges batteries one at a time at a decent price.

P.S. The batteries are 2650, not 2750 as I mentioned in my original post.

Eric from Rexdale/Burlington

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
I use a Maha 808M charger, but it's probably overkill for most.
I went to their web site and I don't see that model available. The MH-401FS looks good in that it charges batteries independently.

PHOENIX_SCANNER said:
As far as NIMH not having a memory I don't buy it. I discharge fully before charging and have never have any issues with them. People who partially drain and charge all the time always have issues.
I tend to agree with this observation. I've got two scanners that I cycle DAILY (one is running from batteries while the other is charging, 12 hours each per day) and have no issues with their batteries. Then I have other scanners which I charge and operate more or less randomly (powered from AC or auto DC for long periods of time) which don't run as well from their batteries.

slicerwizard

To get to the point, in your opinion is there a chargerout there available at the best buys of the world that charges batteries one at a time at a decent price.
The NiMH charger selection at places like Best Buy and Wallyworld seems to keep changing. This is the one that Santa found on sale (possibly at Future Shop) six or seven months ago:

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXKFP2

Mikey found a similar Duracell unit (15 minute charger, 1 to 4 AA's or AAA's) at Wal-Mart for $30; last I heard he's happy with it. Dunno what you'll find today though.

Some folks don't like the fast chargers, but I've found that recharging cells when it's convenient, rather than when they're dead (which is what you really should be doing with dumb timed chargers), puts less stress on them, so 15 minute chargers aren't teh eevil that their detractors make them out to be.

macdude22

Premium Subscriber
I went to their web site and I don't see that model available. The MH-401FS looks good in that it charges batteries independently.

http://thomasdistributing.com/shop/...html?SP_id=&osCsid=mj8v1ohk0395b9r9bq76ejr794

It has 8 independent slots that will charge AAA-D cell, that's right this baby will charge 8 D cells independently (which is good I use a lot of D cells). The pulse charging takes good care of the cells, this thing doesn't roast them to a crisp like my Rayovac charger, even though it has a higher rate of charge. And it's built like a tank. The 808M has has a cycle function that works great for doing periodic cycles of cells. I think it's a great investment myself.

I don't care what anyone says, NiMH cells get large crystals sometimes, diminishing capacity. It's not the memory effect in the "traditional" sense but it's close enough that I still call it memory effect. It doesn't happen instantly like in the old days, but say I have a flashlight and I only drain the cells to 80% and charge them all the time, eventually the cell will develop large crystals and exhibit diminished capacity, essentially the memory effect. Cycling your cells every now and again breaks them up, keeps the cells healthy.

***EDIT***
On fast chargers, they are rough on your cells but you'll still get 100 cycles out of consistently fast charged cells (which in my mind is still a steal). I keep an Energizer 15 minute charger around for when absolutely necessary, which isn't much anymore given the new Low Self Discharge cells like Eneloop's that maintain 85% charge in a year. The 808M charges at 2000 mAh and maintains the cells at a nice temperature, most AA stuff takes under an hour on it anyway. (Yea I really really like this charger)

Last edited:

EJB

20 + year membership
Premium Subscriber
The NiMH charger selection at places like Best Buy and Wallyworld seems to keep changing. This is the one that Santa found on sale (possibly at Future Shop) six or seven months ago:

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXKFP2

Mikey found a similar Duracell unit (15 minute charger, 1 to 4 AA's or AAA's) at Wal-Mart for $30; last I heard he's happy with it. Dunno what you'll find today though.

Some folks don't like the fast chargers, but I've found that recharging cells when it's convenient, rather than when they're dead (which is what you really should be doing with dumb timed chargers), puts less stress on them, so 15 minute chargers aren't teh eevil that their detractors make them out to be.

Thank You Andrew, IIRC the wife bought you that one right?
(Damm I gotta good memory!..& no life).

EJB

20 + year membership
Premium Subscriber
Its funny Andrew, I kept a pair of batteries I bought with a portable scanner back in Dec of 1995. They last pretty much till late 2001.
And nowadays I get 6 months at best?
lol.
Here are the specs:
They were radioshack brand Hi-Capacity NI-CAD, 1.25 V 1000 mAh.

Status
Not open for further replies.