Durham Fire Hanging?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MetalCarnage

For the last week i have been having a problem with my 396 not releasing the channel after the end of a transmission. The wierd thing is it only seems to do it with Ajax Fire Tacs (Dispatch and other Talkgroups dont suffer the same problem). I have tried adjusting the squelch and attenuation already and neither seem to resolve the problem...this is a new problem and the programming has not been changed in quite some time, so i am a little confused on what is going on. Anyone have any ideas on what i can do to get around this? Its REALLY annoying having to hit scan after every transmission.....

yorkphotog

Premium Subscriber
I've had that happen from time to time as well... but not really with Durham. It doesn't go staticky at the end of the transmission... just gets quiet and doesn't go back to scan mode, right?

MetalCarnage

I've had that happen from time to time as well... but not really with Durham. It doesn't go staticky at the end of the transmission... just gets quiet and doesn't go back to scan mode, right?

Well its KINDA static, but i think i know what you mean....when it hangs its like a soft "shushing" noise as opposed to on open squelch dead TV channel kinda noise.....i have never had this problem before until now...and like i said, its wierd because it only seems to be Ajax Tac's, and only occurs when its a Mobile finishes talking...if the dispatcher is talking on the Tac channel and is the last one to talk it doesnt hang....its almost like the mobile doesnt stop transmitting, lol, is there any possible way that because i live in ajax, and am very close to the fire hall/ajax pumpers/aerials that somehow i am picking something up that wont release the talkgroup?

yorkphotog

Premium Subscriber
Yep, I've had that happen a few times.. not recently though.

I was in Durham today and it didn't happen on any of my scanners. Don't think it has anything to do with proximity to the fire stations/apparatus.

MetalCarnage

K, so seriously, its getting REALLLY annoying, if i put the attenuator on it goes from full bars to only one, so i dont even know if i am getting half the chatter, and since it hangs not only on the talkgroup but the voice channel, everytime the talkgroup ID gets released i dont here the the next transmission since it would have jumped to another voice channel. Anyone have any idea on how i cuold get around this issue? Other then whats been mentioned in the thread already?

yorkphotog

Premium Subscriber
It may seem like a dumb idea, but it's worth a shot... and Durham isn't a huge system, so it shouldn't take too long to do -- reprogram the entire system. Not sure whether you are using the computer to program it or not, but nonetheless, blow out your current Durham system and completely reprogram it. My bets are that it'd work.

MetalCarnage

It may seem like a dumb idea, but it's worth a shot... and Durham isn't a huge system, so it shouldn't take too long to do -- reprogram the entire system. Not sure whether you are using the computer to program it or not, but nonetheless, blow out your current Durham system and completely reprogram it. My bets are that it'd work.

K, i will give it a shot...been using FreeSCAN as of late to program it...just seems really wierd since i have never had these issues before, even took my scanner outside to make sure it wasnt my CRT monitors causing interference like they have in the past, does it whereever....but i will give that a try in the morning and update on whether the problem resolves...

mchart13

Not sure if this would be related to your issue... (btw I'm in Whitby and never had issues like yours)
Yesterday afternoon between 4:30 and 5'ish I heard numerous "test, test... " or "test 1, 2 , 3..."
on Ajax TAC1 between Ajax Dispatch and different "trucks".
So maybe they do have issues with their system and its not your scanner, but never know
like you said try reprogramming your scanner and hope it helps (good luck)

I'll update (or other folks can do the same) if I (they) hear Ajax running more "test, test.." on their TAC tgs

MetalCarnage

Not sure if this would be related to your issue... (btw I'm in Whitby and never had issues like yours)
Yesterday afternoon between 4:30 and 5'ish I heard numerous "test, test... " or "test 1, 2 , 3..."
on Ajax TAC1 between Ajax Dispatch and different "trucks".
So maybe they do have issues with their system and its not your scanner, but never know
like you said try reprogramming your scanner and hope it helps (good luck)

I'll update (or other folks can do the same) if I (they) hear Ajax running more "test, test.." on their TAC tgs

Thanks alot for the update....i would rather it be problems with ajax comms then my scnaner, lol....going to reprogram in an hour then let it run on Durham Fire until Ajax Fire gets a call

MetalCarnage

K, so i figured out the problem, but still no solution. The problem is with one individual voice channel....the only time it sticks onto a channel is when it is VC 867.3000....and to top it off i have tested it with my BC796D, BCD396t and BC250D.......the 796 and 250 were programmed over a year ago, and the 396 last week from freescan, so i know its not a programming issue....why is it just one channel that is sticking????????????????????

i am really gettting pissed off about this

Jay911

Silent Key (April 15th, 2023)
Feed Provider
K, so i figured out the problem, but still no solution. The problem is with one individual voice channel....the only time it sticks onto a channel is when it is VC 867.3000....and to top it off i have tested it with my BC796D, BCD396t and BC250D.......the 796 and 250 were programmed over a year ago, and the 396 last week from freescan, so i know its not a programming issue....why is it just one channel that is sticking????????????????????

i am really gettting pissed off about this

IMO, bad repeater/Quantar at the site, odds are. We had the same issue on 753f earlier this year with one channel of one Smartzone site. However it was noticeable on all products monitoring the system - all types of scanners, all mobiles/portables, and system consoles. On the console, the channel stays up with the speaker icon flashing as if the last user is still transmitting. On the Zone Watch program, the channel also appears to stay open as if the last user is still transmitting - which they are not.

It took us (operators of 753f) ages to get Motorola to accept that the radio system had issues. They swapped out the Quantar and the problem went away.

Status
Not open for further replies.