Durham Radio System in the Works

Status
Not open for further replies.

exkalibur

Premium Subscriber
The system that Fire is using, is dying. They have stopped with major maintenance and just keeping it working - probably because they know something new is on the horizon.

VE3RADIO

I was told that the current system will be off the air by 2014 and that the new system will be on air by 2013 for Police, fire will join at a slower pace... When I say Fire I refer to Oshawa fire, I have no idea on the plans for any of the other fire services in the Region..

VE3RADIO

I recieved a response from the Region about the new system. Here are the details:

- System will be P25
- Encryption with OTAR has been requested by DRPS
- Encryption will be available to all members, but not mandatory, each service will be responsible for purchasing their own equipment
- All 8 Fire Services in Durham will join the system
- OPG will join the system
- DRT will join in 2016 when Metrolinx contract expires
- Works may join the system
- Go live is tentative for 2014

Here is a blurb I received about the project:

Background

Emergency response services within the Durham Region are currently supported by independent voice and data communication systems. These systems are currently not fully interoperable, and will be unsupportable by 2014. In response, the Regional Municipality of Durham, in conjunction with the Durham Regional Police Service, the fire services of Ajax, Brock, Clarington, Oshawa, Pickering, Scugog, Whitby and Uxbridge, and Ontario Power Generation have come together to identify and select a common communication platform. Dubbed NextGen, this move will increase responder effectiveness and achieve cost efficiencies. In addition to facilitating interoperability between stakeholder groups at the regional level and beyond, the common platform will be made available to other municipal and regional public service organizations within Durham. The creation of a region-wide, integrated, interoperable communication system will ultimately help responders and public safety stakeholders to better serve the community.
Mandate

To identify, acquire and deploy a common communication platform that is fiscally and operationally sustainable, scalable to accommodate future growth needs, and provides appropriate interoperability at municipal, regional, provincial and federal levels.
Vision

To provide emergency responders and designated public service organizations operating within the region with the capability to communicate in real time, across disciplines and jurisdictions in order to respond more effectively during day-to-day operations, planned events, and major incidents.
Objectives

The NextGen project objectives are to:
· create a region-wide, interoperable communications capability based on the user needs of all stakeholders; and
· increase public and personnel safety, through improved multi-agency communication and coordination.
When agencies can better communicate and collaborate, the appropriate personnel and resources can be deployed in a more effective and timely manner. NextGen aims to reduce response times (that can possibly save lives) and provide the best value in public safety for all regional taxpayers. The approach is meant to eliminate the need for partner organizations to design, implement, and maintain individual communication systems, while achieving public safety communication interoperability across the region. The development of a Regional Communications Interoperability Plan will provide the foundation to allow all users of the NextGen capability to work with one another. Durham will be one of the first Canadian regions to take a holistic approach that considers the entire Communications Interoperability Continuum, including governance, standard operating procedures, technology, training & exercises, and usage of equipment.
Why?

NextGen will contribute to the future safety of all residents and first responders within the region by improving the effectiveness of public safety and public service agencies during emergencies and day-to-day operations. NextGen’s goal is to create a regionally-based system supported by an interoperability governance structure and standard operating procedures that address the collective needs of NextGen stakeholders. NextGen stakeholders will collaboratively acquire and implement a common communication capability that is fiscally and operationally sustainable and that cultivates critical interoperability at all government levels.

bigcam406

can you say property tax hike???? i can imagine how much this is going to cost......and honestly,is it really necessary? another waste of tax dollars going down the drain.

Status
Not open for further replies.