Dutchess County Highway...

Status
Not open for further replies.

62Truck

Ordinary Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Well the highway dept on Monday will start demoing some digital radios from nycomco. So you might hear less activity on 153.7625 in the next couple of weeks.

62Truck

Ordinary Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
An update here...

So the Dutchess County Highway Dept has decided to make the switch from their VHF analog freq (that worked just fine). They are going to be going the Mototurbo route, as of right now the VHF freq is linked into the Turbo system until all 68 vehicles are equipped with the Turbo radios.

radioman2001

New York North Carolina and all points in between
It' probably NYCOMCO's multi-site MOTOTRBO system. I was doing maintenence at Mt Beacon a few weeks ago and NYCOMCO was finishing up the last microwave connections to all 13 of their sites. One of the techs was saying that they had a large highway department trying it out, and I guess it was Dutchess County. The only bad thing I can say about it is that their monthly fees run about the same as buying a new radio every 18 months.

62Truck

Ordinary Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Yes Radioman you are correct they are leasing the radios from NYCOMCO. Dutchess County DPW (Highway,Parks, and Buildings) and DCSO lease their radios from MYCOMCO whether it be a trunking radio or conventional radio, and you're right on the second part also but with leasing the radios NYCOMCO is responsible for the repairs or maintenance of the radios. At work if my battery stops holding a charge all I have to do is go down to NYCOMCO and just swap out a battery at no extra cost to the county. We are leasing edac portables (300P's) and I think we are paying something like 29 dollars a month for each portable. Base stations are a little more.

radioman2001

I am surprised about the batteries, I know they don't cover microphones and antenna's. Besides the radios don't break, unless someone damages them or gets them wet, and that's not covered. I know NYCOMCO is on the hook for about 6 mil for all the equipment and backbone. I didn't think Motorola still did large leases like that.

62Truck

Ordinary Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Radio's you'd be surprised, My supervisor's radio had to go back 3 times to get fixed one time I think 3 times within a two week period, it wasn't abused so I don't think they charged for the repairs of the radios. The ones we use are 300P's and they are not a radio I would depend my life on. But it really depends on what the contract says. I'm just waiting till the building division goes to Turbo. I think Motorola could of done better with the audio quality in Turbo mode. I'm gonna have to Tap out my 197 and download DSD pretty soon.

radioman2001

Well after playing for hours, I now can decode MOTOTRBO. What's interesting is that my GD 2670 service monitor is no good as a source as an input to the computer for DSD. Using a pair of portables and having done a disc tap on another mobile radio (CDM-1250) for testing I have a 90% decode rate, now to try it on NYCOMCO's system and see what I get.

62Truck

Ordinary Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
They are running connect plus I believe. That's what I remember seeing on the sticker on one of the radios. Let me know how you make it. If you have success I will probably end up doing the same with DSD. So this way I can at least listen to the Village of Wappingers.

62Truck

Ordinary Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Well just an update, DPW Parks are now getting Trbo radios installed in their trucks, was at nycomco yesterday getting a new Knob for my 300P, and saw one of the parks trucks in the lot, Now I'm just waiting for the Division I'm in to go from EDACS to Trbo Capacity Plus.

Status
Not open for further replies.