• Effective immediately we will be deleting, without notice, any negative threads or posts that deal with the use of encryption and streaming of scanner audio.

We've noticed a huge increase in rants and negative posts that revolve around agencies going to encryption due to the broadcasting of scanner audio on the internet. It's now worn out and continues to be the same recycled rants. These rants hijack the threads and derail the conversation. They no longer have a place anywhere on this forum other than in the designated threads in the Rants forum in the Tavern.

If you violate these guidelines your post will be deleted without notice and an infraction will be issued. We are not against discussion of this issue. You just need to do it in the right place. For example:
    https://forums.radioreference.com/rants/224104-official-thread-live-audio-feeds-scanners-wait-encryption.html

duty belts

Status
Not open for further replies.

landonjensen

On a police officers duty belt, is there a specific order that most officers keep it in? ie, Mag Pouch, Fliashlight Holster, RAdio, Etc?
Also if any police officers are on here, can u please give me the order of how you have your belt?
Thanks
LJ

Last edited:

RolnCode3

Personal preference.

Usually, weapons are supposed to be forward of the hips. Cuff case should be accessible by either hand. Mag cases should be positioned so you can draw and index properly in one movement. Firearm should be only weapon on "strong" side of body. All other weapons (baton, OC, Tazer) should be drawn and used (if possible-mostly applies to OC) with offhand.

These are some generalities that seem to be pretty sage advice. No doubt that personal preference rules supreme.

If you laid my belt out on the ground, starting strong side, it'd go:

double cuff case, handgun, key holder (nothing across my back) flashlight, radio, baton, knife (little last resort punch type), OC, mag cases.

landonjensen

some officers that ive seen carry small surefire or similar light, and if they need it they can use thier full size maglite or streamlight.
i saw on one police gear site that they sell a adapter that hooks onto a d cell maglite, and then once it is hooked on, it can be used as a traditional baton. i thought that they got in trouble for using flashlights on suspects correct??

dangitdoug

Starting from the buckle and working to the right: Key holder, spare mags, weapon (BIG,BIG GUN!!), large flashlight holder (Streamlight SL-20X), nothing in back. On left side, baton ring (PR-24), radio, small flashlight (Surefire 6P), handcuffs, CPR pouch anging from keeper.

Also had a weapon and mag only for administrative duties.

Doug K

red8

Starting from the buckle, I had my service weapon lined up along the
seam on the right side with a belt keeper place behind the holster
then I had my asr(aerosol subject restraint) near my weapon holster
followed by two more keepers with a pouch that carried my anti micorobial wipes and rubber gloves, I would then place my radio along the left side along with my expandible baton placed in front of
my radio and then I would have my speedloaders rounding out the
setup of my duty belt with belt keepers holding my belt in place in
various locations
th

car2back

I saw an Detective for Cherokee County, OK several weeks ago wearing a wild west gunslinger belt and packing a Ruger Blackhawk six-shooter.

okccsi

Laid out on the ground looking left to right.

Microcassette recorder, foam, pager/cell phone holder, glock 21, handcuff case, then a large space where my back sits against the seat, handcuff case, polystinger, radio, dual mag holder

For keepers, I use one on gun side just in front, one in front of the radio, and then two on the inside section of my handcuff cases. This keeps them from moving into the small of my back. The keeper that I use on the right side by the handcuff case is the kind with a built in ring for holding a SL20 when I take it out of the car.

I find myself doing this less and less since I have the 2.5 hour charger with the piggyback charger on it. So I always have an extra battery being charged.

I have PR-24 cert, but I don't ever carry it. I usually just slide the 32" ASP into my back pocket.

OKC CSI

N2MWE

Premium Subscriber
From the buckle and going to the right...double magazine pouch, keys, holster, portable radio for monitoring WPPD, cuff case, Mini Maglight, NYSC portable radio.

garys

Premium Subscriber
The purists will say that ONLY the service weapon should be on the strong hand side, but I've rarely seen it. The exception, if you are carrying a revolver the spare ammunition can be carried on the same side as the weapon. If you are carrying a semi auto, the spare magazines go on the weak hand side of the belt. That has to do with how you reload the respective weapons.

At least that's how I was taught.

Gary

xusmarine1979

garys said:
The purists will say that ONLY the service weapon should be on the strong hand side, but I've rarely seen it. The exception, if you are carrying a revolver the spare ammunition can be carried on the same side as the weapon. If you are carrying a semi auto, the spare magazines go on the weak hand side of the belt. That has to do with how you reload the respective weapons.

At least that's how I was taught.

Gary
That's all I've had on my right side besides my light.

car2back

What if I wanted to carry my weapon on the weak side as a cross-draw? Would that be acceptable with most agencies?

okccsi

The only time I have seen it acceptable is while doing prisoner transport in a van or bus. The reason being that most officers are right handed and it puts the weapon on the left side AWAY from prisoners being taken on or off the vehicle.

Now, I have done cross draw before. I have a cross draw concealed carry holster, and I have a tactical vest setup for cross draw.

OKC CSI

landonjensen

Recorder???

Laid out on the ground looking left to right.
Microcassette recorder, foam, pager/cell phone holder, glock 21, handcuff case, then a large space where my back sits against the seat, handcuff case, polystinger, radio, dual mag holder.
For keepers, I use one on gun side just in front, one in front of the radio, and then two on the inside section of my handcuff cases. This keeps them from moving into the small of my back. The keeper that I use on the right side by the handcuff case is the kind with a built in ring for holding a SL20 when I take it out of the car.
I find myself doing this less and less since I have the 2.5 hour charger with the piggyback charger on it. So I always have an extra battery being charged.
I have PR-24 cert, but I don't ever carry it. I usually just slide the 32" ASP into my back pocket.
OKC CSI

Why do you have a recorder on you?

Grog

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
landonjensen said:
Why do you have a recorder on you?
Probably to record things :lol:

If you've ever been in a large incident, it's real easy to get things mixed up. It's also better to keep verbal notes on any type of interview, makes for a better report later.

Starting from belt buckle clockwise & right-handed....

Double mag pouch horzontal, flap towards buckle
Key holder (only 5 keys on ring)
Keeper
Duty weapon
Keeper
Glove pouch (about 4:30)
Hidden key Keeper off-center in back
Handcuff case (about 8 o clock)
Keeper
Flashlight ring (haven't carried a full size in well over a year though)
Radio (MTX 9000)
Cell Phone case
Keeper
Handcuff case
Back to the buckle....

car2back

landonjensen said:
you have 2 handcuff cases on you ? why is that?
In case they have to arrest more than one person... most officers carry atleast 2 more pair in their car as well!

okccsi

landonjensen said:
you have 2 handcuff cases on you ? why is that?

As for the recorder: Do you know how many times I deal with someone and then they want a supervior so that they can call in and say I called them a ******. Or how about when you arrest a girl and she says that I sexually assaulted her, or asked her for a blowjob so she won't have to go to jail. I record every contact I have with a person while in the course and scope of my duties. I keep each tape for 1 month if no incidents occurr. If an incident occurrs, then I immediately pull the tape and label it.

As for carrying two cases: I have a double cuff case, but it is big. Kinda starts to hurt after being in a car for ten hours. I don't use it anymore really. I prefer the two cases pushed to the left and right so my back isfree to lean against the seat. I keep 4 more pairs in the car, plus a pile of reusable zip cuffs and another pile that aren't.

OKC CSI

P.S. The person that dies with the most gear wins.

N2MWE

Premium Subscriber
phil_smith said:
What if I wanted to carry my weapon on the weak side as a cross-draw? Would that be acceptable with most agencies?
No! Think about this...you draw direct from your strong side. The barrel of your gun goes from the holster, straight up to your target.

Now, do a cross draw...the barrel of your gun goes from your weak side, across to the target. Believe it or not, it takes longer, plus the gun will be pointing at things it should not, i.e. bystanders, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.