DV4mobile: A new multi digital format mobile (DMR, NXDN, YSF, P25, etc)

Status
Not open for further replies.

KD8DVR

Only 20 watts output? What a huge disappointment for a radio that boasts so much to be all that!

Mike
20 watts is more than enough power to accomplish everything you want do do. It is all in the feedline and antenna. Don't get caught up in the "good buddy factor", where power equals performance.

AntiSquid Disclaimer: All comments are personal opinion only and may not imply actual fact.

KD8DVR

Not "vaporware" but truly "expensiveware..." At a projected MSRP of >$1,000.00 USD, it's well out of my wallet's range!
Mine too. Good luck if it ever comes to market.

AntiSquid Disclaimer: All comments are personal opinion only and may not imply actual fact.

N4KVE

Only 20 watts output? What a huge disappointment for a radio that boasts so much to be all that!

Mike
What a huge disappointment for a $1000 radio. Either make the radio capable of doing 50 watts, or drop the price $400. That's sick. I understand 20 watts should be sufficient, & at that power level, $559. Want to get $1000, then make it 50 watts.

northzone

Premium Subscriber
You understand that the difference between 20 watts and 50 watts is only 4db. That is 2/3 of one S unit at the receiver end. Not much of a difference really.

Last edited:

N8OHU

You understand that the difference between 20 watts and 50 watts is only 4db. That is 2/3 of one S unit at the receiver end. Not much of a difference really.
While true, most folks expect something impressive for the price they pay for a radio like this, hams more than most.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Delta33

IF you're going to pay a 1K for a damn Radio, you damn well Should get 1K worth of Radio! I agree 50 watts at least, Not QRP !

djs13pa

While true, most folks expect something impressive for the price they pay for a radio like this, hams more than most.

Combining 3 bands, multiple protocols, and a few other bells and whistles is cutting edge cool. If it works and is successful opens up new turf and they've said it's capable of 50w but the heatsink is too small as a result of the form factor and how much they are cramming in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

N4KVE

Combining 3 bands, multiple protocols, and a few other bells and whistles is cutting edge cool. If it works and is successful opens up new turf and they've said it's capable of 50w but the heatsink is too small as a result of the form factor and how much they are cramming in.

So considering the price of the radio, how much more could a larger heat sink, or cooling fan cost? A few $?

djs13pa

So considering the price of the radio, how much more could a larger heat sink, or cooling fan cost? A few $?

What they did was this:

They bought up scads of bodies from a radio that failed and was no longer sold. They got them in bulk cheap. They designed around the case as a cost saving measure. So you have 2 independent multiband, multiprotocol radios in a monoband, monoprotocol box.

To not answer/answer the question...what's it cost to design and produce a radio body these days?

The radio is designed as 2 x 50w independent radios. The form is a limiting factor. I'd imagine that is something they'll fix as they get feedback. I'd love 50w but as I noted, it's been interesting seeing how 25w works.

N8OHU

What they did was this:

They bought up scads of bodies from a radio that failed and was no longer sold. They got them in bulk cheap. They designed around the case as a cost saving measure. So you have 2 independent multiband, multiprotocol radios in a monoband, monoprotocol box.

To not answer/answer the question...what's it cost to design and produce a radio body these days?

The radio is designed as 2 x 50w independent radios. The form is a limiting factor. I'd imagine that is something they'll fix as they get feedback. I'd love 50w but as I noted, it's been interesting seeing how 25w works.

Why does this not surprise me?

djs13pa

Why does this not surprise me?

Considering they funded this out of their own pocket and aren't some huge company with an R&D budget, how'd you do better?

Delta33

Sorry, but this is just Typical cobbled up Crap from China, AGAIN. Poor engineering skills at the least. NOT worth a Thousand bucks without some Quality in mind!

Status
Not open for further replies.