DVD copy and Media server questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
N

N_Jay

OK, looking for opinions.

I have been using AnyDVD to decrypt DVDs so I can put them on my media server.
I like that they push updates often, and how transparently it operates.
I now find I need to put it on a second computer, but before I buy another license, I was wondering if anyone had anything they liked better.
Suggestions?

Next, what format do people find best for storing movies and TV shows?
I want to stream then to PCs and an XBOX360, and having them ready to convert to smaller formats like a PSP or such.

I may also get a stand-alone or networked media player soon, so that is a consideration.
I also want to preserve as much quality as possible for display on HDTV screens.
Again, suggestions?

shaft

I used to use DVD Decryptor until I switched to the mac and now use mactheripper, then use handbrake to convert them to mp4. Very little loss, with the nice compression for storage and streaming to my PS3 or to put on the iPod.

Doom9 has a ton of links, forums and guides to point you in the right direction for what you want to do in a Windows environment.

mike_s104

Premium Subscriber
OK, looking for opinions.

I have been using AnyDVD to decrypt DVDs so I can put them on my media server.
I like that they push updates often, and how transparently it operates.
I now find I need to put it on a second computer, but before I buy another license, I was wondering if anyone had anything they liked better.
Suggestions?

Next, what format do people find best for storing movies and TV shows?
I want to stream then to PCs and an XBOX360, and having them ready to convert to smaller formats like a PSP or such.

I may also get a stand-alone or networked media player soon, so that is a consideration.
I also want to preserve as much quality as possible for display on HDTV screens.
Again, suggestions?

You do not need to have AnyDVD on 2 PCs. Rip with one PC as an ISO to a storage area like a SAN or NAS or Server and mount the ISO on the second PC with Virtual CloneDrive (free) from SlySoft as well. I've been doing this for years using Daemon Tools DVD Decryptor. I switched to AnyDVD HD so I can rip Blu-Ray DVDs and watch anywhere in the house. I loved AnyDVD HD so much I bought a lifetime subscription for it, CloneCD and CloneDVD Mobile. All are great apps from a good company. I had an issue with one Blu-Ray DVD and posted on their forum; by the next day I had an employee answer my question which was exactly correct.

As far as showing on other HDTVs, for me the best solution involved the above and a Gateway E-4300 small form factor PC I got at an auction. I maxed out the RAM (motherboard support 4GB but Win7 Ultimate 64bit was only able to use 3GB) and added an ATI HD low-profile video card and a Creative Labs USB sound device with optical out. With the on board 1GB NIC, I can stream DVD and Blu-Ray ISOs from the server without any loss. The PC it replaced was moved to the bedroom for the same setup. BTW, these setups work great for the networked security camera system. :)

To get the content to you PSP, I would suggest CloneDVD Mobile. FAB DVD works well too.

Shaft is right with Doom9. I'd also suggest the SlySoft forums and www.vcdhelp.com.

If there's anything else I can help with (if I helped), PM me.

Last edited:
N

N_Jay

OK, well I do need a ripper on the second machine since it is a laptop that is generally off-network and I want my son to be able to load a few of his movies on it for trips so he does not have to take them along.

Was more interested in what formats people use for storage and transfer. Any suggestions? (Other then ISO, as the XBOX will not play them off the network.

mike_s104

Premium Subscriber
OK, well I do need a ripper on the second machine since it is a laptop that is generally off-network and I want my son to be able to load a few of his movies on it for trips so he does not have to take them along.

Was more interested in what formats people use for storage and transfer. Any suggestions? (Other then ISO, as the XBOX will not play them off the network.

Not sure about the Xbox but you can check out The Green Button for more info.

You could load DVD Decryptor and Rip-It-For-Me (RipIt4Me - Video software and downloads - VideoHelp.com) on his laptop, which should be able to rip 90% of all DVDs and you can rip any he can't with AnyDVD and copy via network or other fashion to his laptop.

N

N_Jay

I can get a list of the formats that the XBOX reads, but that does not tell me which people have had the best luck using "universally" between PCs and Media plays, etc.

I was also hoping to find a video aficionado who may have a hint or two as to which formats give the best picture.

Right now, I am ripping as untranscoded Vobs with menus for storage and transcoding into mpeg4 .avi at a vid rate of 5000, using the native frame size and frame rate for the XBOX (and probably media players).
I do a separate transcode to a PSP specific format but have had sound sync issues with almost everything except the VERY SLOW Sony PSP media converter program.

As for rippers, does anyone know anything about DVD43? It seems closest to AnyDVD running as a driver.

N

N_Jay

OK, tried DVD43, and it seems to work well.
It looks and feels a lot like AnyDVD except it is free and does not auto update,
It is doing the job, so I thought I would pass it along.

Still guessing at the best format?
Codec: mpeg4 vs. xvid?
Video Bit Rate; 1000, 2000, 5000?
Audio Codec: aac vs. mp3?
Audio bit rate: 64 vs. 128?
Audio Sample: 44100 vs 48000?

The goal is to have the most versatile format retaining the best quality.
The XBOX seems to be the challenge with compatibility, but I am not sure what the little Media player boxes like best.

Status
Not open for further replies.