Dvmega hotspot problem

Kd8lzl

I recently bought a dvmega hotspot and the directions for setting it up are not there. So I went to YouTube for guidance. The video i followed had the dv mega put its setup web page in the computer connection area. Mine didn't do this. It just blinks on top. I went to another video where it says I have to plug it into a router. I have no router. I planned on running it from my phone internet. Is there a way to get around this?

dickie757

Wired
Connect a wifi laptop or desktop to the phone, too. They should then be on the same network, and you can upload the config. Or, try to connect through the phone.

Be aware...you will have to determine the address yourself. The address in the vid prob won't match

Kd8lzl

Thanks for your help dickie. I had the laptop connected to my phone hotspot while trying to get it to work. I also checked the SD card to see if anything was on it and it seems to be the most up to date program they have for down load. I tried several times but nothing happens.

Kd8lzl

Please forgive me for not knowing how to post links. The first one I watched was done by Don w6gps on YouTube. Yes Second video that said I had to hook it up to a router came from the link on the pi star site. The gentleman had a w1 call i believe. I'd try to figure out the link stuff but I'm at work for a while still.

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
Please forgive me for not knowing how to post links.
If you are accessing the forums using computer and a web browser, you should see a icon at the top of the message window that shows two links of a chain. Click that and a dialog box will pop up so you can enter a hyperlink.

Or, just copy and past the link to your message. The forum software will figure it out.

dickie757

Wired
Maybe this one?

Anyway, it is not explained very well, but the Raspberry Pi creates its own hotspot and config server. Don't do anything with your phone at this point, besides write down the phone's hotspot name, or SSID, and the password. If you can rename it something simple, do that now. RadioWifi would be a good name.

Either on your phone or laptop, look for the hotspot from the Rasp Pi, something like Pi-Star Setup. Connect your phone or lappy to that, laptop would be best. If asks for password, use raspberry

Then, open browser to go to http://pi-star just like that, no .com or anything. Then click configuration in upper right hand corner. Get that far and reconnect to internet and let us know if you did it. It would be best to do the DVMega work on the lappy, and use phone for RadioReference.com, as the phone's hotspot won't be used for a while.

Side note, what digi mode? And what is the other ham radio that you will use to connect to DVMega?

If you haven't selected a frequency yet, go to your local coordination website to see what they suggest. Mine is set to 441.15 per my coordination group, and local RF environment. One more thing, do you have an ID if using DMR?

Kd8lzl

Yes that is the video. I turned on the dv mega the first time and let it go for 20 minutes. The pi didn't do anything but blink red on the top board and the bottom board had solid green and red lights. Pi setup did not show up on my laptop or phone. I can't get past the first step. I tried several times. I plan on using dstar with my phone internet. I don't have any other internet other than my phone. I have a id-52a for a radio.

Kd8lzl

Yes its in there. After the trouble I had i took it out and put it in yhe laptop to see if anything was on there. It is a 16gb and was near full of stuff. The pi program matches the date that is on the pi star website. So I didn't try to re flash it.the dv mega is from gigaparts.

dickie757

Wired
At this point, you might have to reflash. But, let it run until the green light goes out, or 30 minutes. If it doesn't go out after 30 minutes, follow directions in the pi-star setup vid from the w1 call dude. I'll be around for a bit tonight, but not too late. I'll check back at 10pm for update.

Kd8lzl

I'm not going to get to it tonight. Had a long 12 hour day at work. I'm going to work on it tomorrow after a good rest. Thanks for the help and have a good night.

popnokick

Premium Subscriber
Whenever I can't get the default "PiStar" SSID to show up on WiFi I force it to exactly the WiFi connection and SSID / password I want it to use. The way to force it is use the WiFi Builder from pistar.uk which you'll find here -
Pi-Star WiFi Builder - pistar.uk
If you need further info on configuring Pi-Star for WiFi, the best info to do that is here. Not a video, but a step-by-step with illustrations -
Amateur Radio Notes: Pi-Star

Kd8lzl

Thanks for your help. I guess I'll have to wait to find out if this works. I just broke the sdcard trying to get it out of the hotspot. I plugged the SD card into the computer and nothing happened. I pulled it out to see if I had it in right and it was pretty hot to the touch. I saw a crack in the back of it. I'm going to have to open the slot on the case of the hot spot a little bit with a file so the card can slide a bit easier. I can't believe that this is giving me this much hassle. Everyone on the reflectors and YouTube makes this hotspot stuff seem like its so easy.

belvdr

No longer interested in living
Thanks for your help. I guess I'll have to wait to find out if this works. I just broke the sdcard trying to get it out of the hotspot. I plugged the SD card into the computer and nothing happened. I pulled it out to see if I had it in right and it was pretty hot to the touch. I saw a crack in the back of it. I'm going to have to open the slot on the case of the hot spot a little bit with a file so the card can slide a bit easier. I can't believe that this is giving me this much hassle. Everyone on the reflectors and YouTube makes this hotspot stuff seem like its so easy.
Based on what you experienced with the hotspot, I would gamble the card was already broken before you removed it.

Kd8lzl

Ok folks, I got it working and made a contact on 30c! Thanks to all for the help and advice. I really appreciate it! I bought a new scan disk sd card. Re flashed the image with the boot tool for the network right off, and it came right up in my computer. I set it up and had a time getting the radio repeater list to recognize my new folder. Made a contact and all is good. Thanks again