DVRS assistance

Status
Not open for further replies.

crazyjim30

Premium Subscriber
I'm thinking of programming the DVRS frequencies in to my PRO-106 and I want to ask a few questions first. The link to the list of frequencies in found at the bottom of the STARS page. This confuses me as STARS is a digital system and the mode for the DVRS frequencies is FM. What squelch mode should I use when I'm programming them in? I also want to know if they are part of the STARS trunked system and thus should programmed as talkgroups or should the DVRS freqs be programmed as CONV. Thanks for your patience. I know just enough to know when to ask questions. Also, for the sake of pure curiosity, when I pull in to a gas station parking lot my scanner loses its mind and produces static even if no one is transmitting. Does anyone know why this happens?

mike_s104

Premium Subscriber
I'm thinking of programming the DVRS frequencies in to my PRO-106 and I want to ask a few questions first. The link to the list of frequencies in found at the bottom of the STARS page. This confuses me as STARS is a digital system and the mode for the DVRS frequencies is FM. What squelch mode should I use when I'm programming them in? I also want to know if they are part of the STARS trunked system and thus should programmed as talkgroups or should the DVRS freqs be programmed as CONV. Thanks for your patience. I know just enough to know when to ask questions. Also, for the sake of pure curiosity, when I pull in to a gas station parking lot my scanner loses its mind and produces static even if no one is transmitting. Does anyone know why this happens?

The DVRS are FM but P25 (digital) with some analog ones. I've heard both. You will want to program them in as conventional. I would do them all as P25 with the NAC and analog with the PL.

gcgrotz

The noise you hear is most likely digital hash generated by the cpu/display in the pumps. I also get it around town here from the LED "walk" lights on corners.

I've been doing this a long time but I can't place DVRS. What is it?

crazyjim30

Premium Subscriber
DVRS- Digital Vehicle Repeater System. It's a subset of the Statewide Agencies Radio System (STARS). I think it's for when a trooper steps away from his or her vehicle and transmits on the two-way rather than the portable. The signal is on a DVRS frequency but is relayed through the STARS radio. I could be completely wrong but I think that's the gist of it. The link can be found at the bottom of the STARS page where it says "associated agencies". It'll take you right to the list of frequencies. I believe there are a pair of frequencies assigned to each division but it's past my knowledge base to tell you which is which.

crazyjim30

Premium Subscriber
Please pardon my mistake. It doesn't say "associated agencies" for the link to DVRS from the STARS page. It says "related web links". I apologize.

gcgrotz

Thanks crazyjim30, just couldn't piece together the acronym. Long ago I worked on early tech vehicle repeaters and they were pretty junky. They sent out a tone as each portable was removed from the vehicle and if you were lucky, only the last one on scene remained active. I'm sure the newer, smarter units work better.

Status
Not open for further replies.