DWELL SETTINGS

Johnnydollar2

More than 2 seconds? who knows? *Nothing really works like that. Dwell settings, Threshold etc... they were all added by Whistler later on after many complaints that the scanners based on the GRE-PSR 800 failed miserably trying to decode P25 digital. It's a crap-shoot. After 2 years of all those fixes* and Yagis and antennas, I quit using my Whishler WS1080 and bought a Unication G5 pager, never looked back as it's perfect on P25 simulcast the way I THOUGHT the WS1080 was supposed to be. Live and learn.

Ubbe

When the scanning comes to a trunked P25 system it checks the control channel for any active conversations. How long it will do that check are set by the dwell timer. If users in a conversation makes a pause just when the scanner checks the control channel it will not see that conversation and will continue to scan to next site or system.

You would preferable set the dwell timer long enough to at least be the time it takes for a user to respond in a conversation or to answer a call from a dispatcher. It usually depends of what the users in a particular system are used to and that's why it is adjustable for each system.

If there are problems to correctly decode the datasignal, it could be simulcast distorsion, then setting a longer time will let the scanner have more time to get a proper decode before it gives up and leaves the site.

/Ubbe

Wackyracer

Premium Subscriber
Longer dwell setting MAY help on a P25 system, it will slow the scanning cycle down so do not set it any longer then you need to get reception.

blues222

When the scanning comes to a trunked P25 system it checks the control channel for any active conversations. How long it will do that check are set by the dwell timer. If users in a conversation makes a pause just when the scanner checks the control channel it will not see that conversation and will continue to scan to next site or system.

You would preferable set the dwell timer long enough to at least be the time it takes for a user to respond in a conversation or to answer a call from a dispatcher. It usually depends of what the users in a particular system are used to and that's why it is adjustable for each system.

If there are problems to correctly decode the datasignal, it could be simulcast distorsion, then setting a longer time will let the scanner have more time to get a proper decode before it gives up and leaves the site.

/Ubbe
HOw long Should I set the Dwell setting IM missing alot of Transmissions my other scanner is receiving. my current Dwell setting is Default 0.8, for P25 system. thank you.

blues222

Longer dwell setting MAY help on a P25 system, it will slow the scanning cycle down so do not set it any longer then you need to get reception.
My current Dwell setting is Default 0.8, Im still missing transmissions my other scanner is receiving. Should I turn up the Dwell setting? thank you.

blues222

/Ubbe My current Dwell setting is Default 0.8, my other scanner is receiving alot more transmissions that my other scanner is set at Default 0.8. So I ought to turn my Dwell timing up? thank you.

blues222

More than 2 seconds? who knows? *Nothing really works like that. Dwell settings, Threshold etc... they were all added by Whistler later on after many complaints that the scanners based on the GRE-PSR 800 failed miserably trying to decode P25 digital. It's a crap-shoot. After 2 years of all those fixes* and Yagis and antennas, I quit using my Whishler WS1080 and bought a Unication G5 pager, never looked back as it's perfect on P25 simulcast the way I THOUGHT the WS1080 was supposed to be. Live and learn.
My problems is not Simulcast.

Ubbe

HOw long Should I set the Dwell setting IM missing alot of Transmissions my other scanner is receiving. my current Dwell setting is Default 0.8, for P25 system. thank you.
It's difficult to know if you miss transmission due to that you might be scanning too many systems and it takes too long to make a full scan cycle, or if the scanner stays too a short time on the system to actually be able to catch a call.

Uniden scanners are set to always stay 1,5sec on control channels, even if you set the hold/dwell time to 1sec. It needs at least that time to properly decode and identify any call setups. Try setting you Whistler to 3,0sec and see what it does for you. If it works then you could experiment with gradually shorter times and try and macth the result with you other scanners to see that the Whistler doesn't skip the system when there's active calls on it.

I haven't tried and see what a good dwell time could be as I can only monitor and check P25 trunked systems when there's US military ship visiting and besides that I have only one conventional P25 channel that the Marines uses that guard the US Embassy.

/Ubbe

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
I have my dwell set to 3.0 seconds. The only way to not miss calls on a trunked system is to never scan anything but that system (which is why I run multiple scanners).

talkpair

Here is a post I made a few years back about the dwell setting:

Wackyracer

Premium Subscriber
My current Dwell setting is Default 0.8, Im still missing transmissions my other scanner is receiving. Should I turn up the Dwell setting? thank you.
If both scanners are not using the same antenna then you are not comparing apples to apples. I recall one scanner has a remtronix 800mgz antenna and one has a outside antenna. one misses "sites", one misses "Calls" and what ever other way you have worded the same exact problem.
Get them both on the same antenna, then clone the one that picks up best, then start tweaking. if tweaking doesn't get it dialed on the same antenna then there is....
wait for it as I have said it before....

A HARDWARE problem with that scanner. that means something internally is out of spec and needs to be replaced. Send it back to whistler.

blues222

If both scanners are not using the same antenna then you are not comparing apples to apples. I recall one scanner has a remtronix 800mgz antenna and one has a outside antenna. one misses "sites", one misses "Calls" and what ever other way you have worded the same exact problem.
Get them both on the same antenna, then clone the one that picks up best, then start tweaking. if tweaking doesn't get it dialed on the same antenna then there is....
wait for it as I have said it before....

A HARDWARE problem with that scanner. that means something internally is out of spec and needs to be replaced. Send it back to whistler.
One scanner is on a Tram 1411 and other scanner is on a Tram Bcl-b.

trentbob

Premium Subscriber
In my intense attempt to get my TRX 1 to work on my tdma Phase 2 system to no avail I ended up finding out dwell settings did nothing to mitigate the inability to pick up simulcast.

Your best attempt at adjusting a Whistler is the following. I've heard tell that certain simulcast systems have improved. For me, hearing four words out of 10 instead of two words out of 10 doesn't cut it. I tried every possible combination until totally giving up. Hope this helps somebody.PSX_20201001_194632.jpg

Last edited: