Dx-390 radio

Status
Not open for further replies.
Got this about 1 month ago off e bay 2 problems 1- since I got did not hear any stations on shortwave with the wip antenna so I bought a sangean ant-60 portable outdoor antenna same thing no stations

2- on the side of the radio were the volume and tuning knobs are is a 3 way switch fast
Fine
Lock
On fast everything is ok but when I switch to fine it locks and when I press the mw and lw buttons in front nothing happens can anyone help please thank you

wyShack

Premium Subscriber
Let's start out with the basics and go from there -

I would suggest you run just the radio (no external antenna) at first. Are you able to pick up MW (the AM broadcast ban). try a few local stations.

If you hear local AM radio stations, I would next try a known station-most Shortwave Radio is not a continuous broadcast but there are some -notably the time stations. For you that would be CHU (the Canadian standard time station) try to hear them on 3330, 7850 or 14670 kHz. As it is located in Ottawa, I would try the 3330 and 7850 frequencies based on your location in Quebec. If you hear them, your receiver is likely OK.

If no local AM -do you have batteries in the unit (needs some AA cells for memory backup and clock). Make sure you have both AA and D cell batteries in the unit. I would take all the batteries out and let the unit sit for a minute, then put in new batteries, then follow the manual to set the clock-if you can't then something is wrong with the unit and you should contact the seller. If everything works try AM (and FM) then the time station. Remember shortwave is not as predicable as 'normal' broadcast.

Do not rely on the manual for station information -google 'shortwave broadcast schedule' or similar and get current info-it changes almost daily but probably twice a year even for the regulars.

If the radio 'works' but all you hear is noise you likely have something nearby interfering with reception. Try moving the radio to another location in your house. Things like computers, routers, and cable TV boxes are very 'noisy' in the SW bands -most portable receivers are not selective enough to hear-in this case a big antenna only makes the problem worse.

Hope the above helps

sphipps

Got this about 1 month ago off e bay 2 problems 1- since I got did not hear any stations on shortwave with the wip antenna so I bought a sangean ant-60 portable outdoor antenna same thing no stations.

If you're getting weak noise on SW but no stations... then chances are the front end FET is blown. All of those 90's era Sangean made portables were very sensitive and strong overloads... such as close lightning strikes... would easily blow the front end.

If that's the case... the replacement FET is common and cheap... and the repair is simple as long as you have some soldering skills. There's several tutorials on the net showing how to replace.

simmsrep

Premium Subscriber
I have one of these radios someone gave me awhile back. It was pretty beat up and didn't get any stations at all, fm, am, lw,or mw. So I search the internet and most common cause was the FET blown. I took the back cover off and hooked up the ac adapter to do some checking. As I was working on it I grabbed it by the top around where the am antenna is and it started playing. I could push on the board in that area and it would start playing. It would stop as soon as I took pressure off. I took the board out and tried to hit all the solder joints with my iron but never could find where the loose one was. I took some cardboard and put it in the area I was pressing on and put the back back on so it would press on the board. It worked but every now and then I would have to smack it to get to work. I think if I were you I would contact the seller and tell them they sold you a DOA radio to see if you can return it. If not I do have the service manual and schematics for this radio I can share with you if that would help.

Boombox

Got this about 1 month ago off e bay 2 problems 1- since I got did not hear any stations on shortwave with the wip antenna so I bought a sangean ant-60 portable outdoor antenna same thing no stations

2- on the side of the radio were the volume and tuning knobs are is a 3 way switch fast
Fine
Lock
On fast everything is ok but when I switch to fine it locks and when I press the mw and lw buttons in front nothing happens can anyone help please thank you

Hate to say it but it sounds like your front end FET may be blown....

OR -- it's just terrible SW conditions lately.

The last two times I've tuned across the SW bands (over the past week or so) with a decent radio (that I know works well) I heard NOTHING on most of the SW bands, and one or two stations on the 49 meter band (5900-6200 khz). Conditions have been poor.

Also, unless you live in a high signals area (high ground conductivity) the whip on the DX-390 won't do much. Sangeans of that era weren't hot off the whip. They were much better off an external wire antenna.

Try the MW band and see if the local stations come in well. If you have a MW external loop antenna, set that near the radio and see if you can DX the MW band with the radio.

If you can hear MW stations, the front end FET may still be good.

The DX-390 is a great SW and FM radio, but on MW it's only good if you use an external loop. The internal antenna is too small for the radio.

As for the Fast/Slow/ tuning and lock, try exercising the switch. Switches can oxidise and that can muck up their functions a little. If a radio's been sitting a while, that sort of thing can happen.

Once you get it working, the DX-390's a great radio. If you get it working, be very careful with the radio -- static electricity discharges can zap the front end FET. I wired back to back diodes inside the back of my DX-390 (going from the antenna solder pad to the negative battery terminal) to protect mine.

Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.