DX-394 Tuning below 150 KHz!

Status
Not open for further replies.

zz0468

QRT
Banned
Yeah... now if I can mod my 394 for FM I can use it to hear SCA with a baseband audio tap to an FM radio. :)

Bearcat used to make an HF receiver that went down to 10 KHz, and had FM mode. It was ideal for SCA demod. I think it was the DX-1000. You may find one on eBay.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Do stations still do that?

Yep, I think so, although the service used to also be called SCS or Subsidiary Communications Services; if you're looking for SCS mods, someone at the Worldwide TV FM DX Association is the likely place to find it. I can't find a link for Dr. Bruce Elving's FM Atlas website, where he had several such kits available - perhaps it's gone somewhere. Anyway, that's the place to find it easily...73 Mike

poltergeisty

Truth is a force of nature
Banned
Now for the great question: Do some "numbers stations" use sub-carrier audio??? *ques spooky music** he he.

After reading this, numbers stations would probably not use this capability. Maybe a variant of some sort I'm sure. Learning that the sensitivity is a lot lower than normal transmission, and the fact that it would have to be FM negates its purpose. Plus a spy would not be much of a spy caught with a special receiver rather than a shortwave radio. :) (I thunk that one myself. :lol: )

Last edited:

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Speaking of tweaking around with the 394, I came across this just recently;

LOWBANDER'S WEB PAGE

This gentleman puts some pretty significant time into mod'ing these radios. Does it really make a difference? I keep on seeing 394s on used lists from time to time, and wonder if a newcomer were to get one, and have the mods done, would it really be worth the time and expense?

73 Mike

lanbergld

Er, all you have to do is hit "limit" and then tune down. Those other commands aren't necessary.

The DX-394 is really insensitive below 150 kHz, so a preamp is needed. May I suggest the LF Engineering L-202 LF/VLF Preamplifier? That's what I use. With a ferrite rod tuned for the low frequencies of course.

Larry Lanberg

Richmond VA

Status
Not open for further replies.