dx labs winwarbler

Status
Not open for further replies.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
I know a few hams that use it for PSK31 - that software is pretty good for this, but not so good for decoding other stuff. There's a LOT of RTTY out there that's encrypted and can't be read - the challenge is finding stuff that is.

The website in my sig has numerous soundcard based packages which are somewhat more flexible - if you can get around the crowded interface, a lot of folks like MulitPSK, which despite its name, decodes a great deal more than PSK signals.

HTH...Mike

hfflunki

thanks i think i will try sorcerer it seems to be more swl geared meaning i didntnt notice any tx capability
and it looks like i can use it with fm also im new at digital in fact i havent had any luck yet
but i loged afew cw operators no eqsls yet but thats ok
thanks 73's
dan

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Pay attention to the UDXF Yahoo group; as you are new, you might also try for some of the scheduled broadcasts from the USCG. I *think* WLO is still doing their RTTY based news broadcasts - I'd have to check to see whether they're still on the air.

We also have something that will be very useful - most of the better packages allow you to see a waveform of the signal. That waveform is unique to each mode - and allowing for the usual distortion that all receivers introduce (not to mention noise sources and fading), it's often possible to figure out what mode (as long as its not encrypted) is being used.

Take a look here...

HF Digital Decoding - The RadioReference Wiki

WLO News On the Air with RTTY Feed!

Note that the WLO broadcasts are noted at various times of the day - you may need to check this freq a few times to catch their schedule. Although they say they're 24/7 I don't think they actually are, from various reports.

Also note that it's been reported that some of Sorcerer's modes don't work. To me that's not surprising -I've always suspected it to be a hack of another now-commercial package (SkySweeper) so it may not be complete. It's not uncommon for digital DXers to have more than one package in their toolkit - what doesn't work on one package may work in another.

CW decoding by software is iffy at best - the reasons are simple. Different styles of sending, any noise or using a manual vs. an electronic key (bug in our terms) can defeat it. Learning to do that by ear is a better bet.

HTH and GL...Mike

Last edited:

hfflunki

thank you
now i just gotta wait till my pastar gets its bugs out at the factory to try the programs i downloaded
73's dan

Status
Not open for further replies.