DX station listening “5 up”

Status
Not open for further replies.

KC5AKB

ANNUAL ARMED FORCES DAY CROSS-BAND TEST in May is a big split.
Explore this
Lots of Dx spots out there
Like Ham Call Dx spots just one of many.
73 ,kc5akb

majoco

Stirrer
I haven't worked contest for a long time but I found that a good trick was to have another receiver to listen to the mob calling him on his receiving frequency - sometimes you could hear the station he was working and "top'n'tail".

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
Contesters don't normally work split. Given the number of stations on the air during a big contest, working split uses too much of the crowded spectrum.

DXers often work split so their transmit frequency isn't being clobbered by stations calling them. Rarely are there more than a handful of popular DX stations on the air at the same time.

The Armed Forces Day Cross-band Test is a special case. They transmit on frequencies that military stations can use and listen on frequencies that amateur radio stations can use.

alcahuete

Premium Subscriber
Contesters don't normally work split. Given the number of stations on the air during a big contest, working split uses too much of the crowded spectrum.

I heard a DXer during the ARRL Intl DX Contest a month or two ago using split, because he got tired of all the idiots stepping on each other and tuning up their amps on frequency. He actually noted on frequency that he was fed up and was going 5 up to keep the people who didn't know what they were doing away. LOL!! Probably only the 2nd or 3rd time I have ever seen it in a contest.

Status
Not open for further replies.