DX test March 22nd

Status
Not open for further replies.

k9rzz

From "I Love AM Radio" on Facebook:

Original Paul B Walker Jr.
Bob Souza, GM & Owner at KCKM 1330 Monahans, Texas has agreed to do a DX test for us DX'ers.

Here are the details:

Date: Saturday March 22nd, 2014 from 12AM to 12:30AM Central time
(Friday night into Saturday Morning)

The test will be be at full daytime power and pattern... 12,000 Watts Non Directional into a 5/8th wave tower.

The test will consist mainly of morse code, sweep tones and sound effects known to cut through the mud. There will be a few voice announcements spread out through out the 30 minute test.

Bob prefers reports sent by email, but will accept snail mailed submissions. If you send an email, please send MP3 attachments only, WAV files would be too big.

Emails would be sent to bob@kckm1330.com

Snail mail reports can be sent with a CD or cassette cued up to the best part of the reception. The mailing address is: PO Box 990, Monahans TX 79756.

Bob has said a verification post card will be sent. I encourage you to send just a single stamp to help defray the cost of the postage. Bob didn't ask for that, but I think it would be kind gesture.

If I have left anything out or anyone has questions, please send me an inbox message directly here on facebook.

I am working on getting KGGF 690 Coffeyville, KS to do a test at its 10KW/2 tower daytime pattern.
Like · · Share · 2513 · January 21 at 6:46pm

w2xq

Mentor
Wirelessly posted (Moto Droid Bionic: Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.2; en-us; UPC300-2.2 Build/FRF91) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

It is in March, not February. :)

majoco

Stirrer
OK but what time is the transmission in UTC?

OK, don't worry, I did it myself. Midnight Central US standard time is 0600UTC which will make it 1900NZ summer time. This means according to DX Atlas I'll be right in the middle of the Gray Line sunset when the transmission ceases. It'll be worth trying I s'pose - fortunately there aren't any close BC band transmitters nearby on that frequency +/-27kHz.

Last edited:

davenlr

Premium Subscriber
It will be daylight savings time (starts March 9th) in Texas on March 22nd, so that should put it at 0500-0530 utc, if my math is correct.

SCPD

QRT
What's the point as AM radio is dead. If there is an IBOC station on either side, it will most likely kill the chance for some DX'ing anyway. What's the point for any AM station to do a DX test these days?. The AM band is trashed and the FCC in their infinite wisdom is trying to revitalize it, good luck to them.

Saint

Premium Subscriber
DXing AM radio is dead?

I just started to listen to am radio from all over the world with my Funcube Pro+ Dongle and so far I have a list of 260 am stations and counting, every time I start listening I find something new, (AM is dead ???)
Steve

Status
Not open for further replies.