E-4B on 9/11 ATC recording

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rick1959

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for posting this, I was just asking about this A/C over on the HF Utility Board. Would you happen to know if further recordings from Andy VHF UHF HF for 9/11 are available? Thanks Again.
Rick

Rick1959

Premium Subscriber
E4B,,niknamed the DoomsDay Plane,,or it that another/different one?

Yes, that's my understaning. National Emergency Airborne Command Post or NEACP was the A/C also known as the Dooms Day plane. What I found interesting about the recording, other than the rush to get it in the air, was that the A/C never requested (nor did ATC grant) clearence to DC. I guess this was granted later and not captured on the recording.

Rick

Last edited:

Alliance01TX

Premium Subscriber
Howdy

It was likely as a National Emergency was declared, and all commerical and private planes were directed to land at the nearest safe / proper airports as we might recall.... the Military would not file per se a 'flight plan', as if you think about it logically it was a very-very fluid point in time....as for clearance, Andrews ATC having a Priority One aircraft (basically a scramble) launch it was much like the SAC days launching B-52's,but in a real-world situation at homebase....if we have any real ATC folks that worked that timeframe we might get some addittional insights.....

I remember B-52's launching from Carswell AFB from "Alert Status" and I think the most local non military ATC normally got was an 'advisory '(at least audio wise) that the KC-135's and BUFF's were taking off now....

As for the E-4 that was a secondary (backup) platform as the AF-1 was primary I would suspect...

Glad they were up then and suspect they will be up tonight thru the weekend as well....

Thx

Bill

krokus

Premium Subscriber
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.973 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

I'm curious as to how the voice orderwire audio has been gotten.

MT_Madman

Howdy
Glad they were up then and suspect they will be up tonight thru the weekend as well....
Bill

I can remember when I was in SAC (old days) there were I think 3 birds and 1 was in the air at all times, but that's when we had planes on alert at all times.

b7spectra

EMS Dispatcher
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.973 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

I'm curious as to how the voice orderwire audio has been gotten.

I retired from AT&T and we handled the "orderwire" circuits for Offutt. When any changes had to be done to their Private Lines, we had to coordinate the down time when the plane was on the ground. We normally had a 15 minute window to do the work, test and turn it back up. We had "test points" in the central offices where we could "tap" in on the line and monitor for service conditions. No one I ever knew would jeopardize their job to actually tape their circuit or any other PL. In the 80's, it was voice in the clear. It would have been next to impossible for anyone on the outside (of Telco) to be able to tap into their Private Line. Most likely, the recording had to come from Offutt itself or someone who had a radio up on that frequency.

70cutlass442

Premium Subscriber
Just to clarify since i am not good at all with listening to air lingo... the pilot was requesting to take off, the air traffic controller asked for flight plan info which im guessing is a standard protocol? the pilot responded saying they just need to get airborne, then ATC stated he would get them clearance and the pilot pretty much told him to forget the clearance and get him in the air??

krokus

Premium Subscriber

B7spectra - the audio I'm talking about would not be over the air, but over leased lines. ATC centers have these, to hand off aircraft from controller to controller. For instance, the Andrews controller would talk to a controller at the regional center, then they would talk to either the receiving airport or next regional center.

70cutlass442 - you have the gist of the radio traffic. I don't know if the Andrews controller was new, or what, but they did not seem to have the grasp of an alert mission. That means "get everything else out of my way, I am leaving, and leaving now."

autovon

Ø
Just to clarify since i am not good at all with listening to air lingo... the pilot was requesting to take off, the air traffic controller asked for flight plan info which im guessing is a standard protocol? the pilot responded saying they just need to get airborne, then ATC stated he would get them clearance and the pilot pretty much told him to forget the clearance and get him in the air??

Correct.

edit: oops, didn't see the post above already answering the question.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.